Absolute Value Equation |3x - 2|/|2x - 3| = 2

In summary, to solve the absolute value equation |3x - 2|/|2x - 3| = 2, we must first take the absolute value of both sides to eliminate the fractions. This results in two possible equations: 3x - 2 = 2(2x - 3) or 3x - 2 = -2(2x - 3). Solving for x in the first equation gives x = 4, while solving for x in the second equation gives x = 8/7. However, to find the second solution, we must also consider the case where the absolute value signs are dropped, leading to the equation 3x^2 - 2x -
mathdad
Solve the absolute value equation.

|3x - 2|/|2x - 3| = 2

Solution:

|3x - 2| = 2|2x - 3|

3x - 2 = 2(2x - 3)

3x - 2 = 4x - 6

Solving for x, I get x = 4.

However, the textbook has two answers for this problem.
The answer is also 8/7.

How do I find 8/7?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
RTCNTC said:

Solution:

|3x - 2| = 2|2x - 3|

3x - 2 = 2(2x - 3)

As MarkFL pointed out in https://mathhelpboards.com/pre-algebra-algebra-2/absolute-value-equation-1-a-25152.html, you can’t just drop the absolute-value signs just like that! Otherwise you could have
$$|1|=|-1|\ \implies\ 1=-1.$$
The other solution you missed was
$$3x-2\ =\ -2(2x-3).$$
Alternatively, you can also do what you did in https://mathhelpboards.com/pre-algebra-algebra-2/absolute-value-equation-2-a-25153.html: square both sides.

3x−2 = −2(2x−3)

3x - 2 = -4x + 6

3x + 4x = 6 + 2

7x = 8

x = 8/7

- - - Updated - - -

Olinguito said:
As MarkFL pointed out in https://mathhelpboards.com/pre-algebra-algebra-2/absolute-value-equation-1-a-25152.html, you can’t just drop the absolute-value signs just like that! Otherwise you could have
$$|1|=|-1|\ \implies\ 1=-1.$$
The other solution you missed was
$$3x-2\ =\ -2(2x-3).$$
Alternatively, you can also do what you did in https://mathhelpboards.com/pre-algebra-algebra-2/absolute-value-equation-2-a-25153.html: square both sides.

If I decide to square both sides, must I also square 2?

Like this:

|3x - 2|^2 = [2|2x - 3|]^2

or

Like this:

|3x - 2|^2 = 2[|2x - 3|]^2

RTCNTC said:
3x−2 = −2(2x−3)

3x - 2 = -4x + 6

3x + 4x = 6 + 2

7x = 8

x = 8/7

- - - Updated - - -
If I decide to square both sides, must I also square 2?

Like this:

|3x - 2|^2 = [2|2x - 3|]^2

or

Like this:

|3x - 2|^2 = 2[|2x - 3|]^2
Yes, you have to square the 2 as well. \(\displaystyle (a (x - 1))^2 = a^2 (x - 1)^2\) for example.

-Dan

topsquark said:
Yes, you have to square the 2 as well. \(\displaystyle (a (x - 1))^2 = a^2 (x - 1)^2\) for example.

-Dan

It really helps to know that 2 must also be squared.

Take a look at my reply. The final quadratic equation does not factor leading to the textbook answers.

View attachment 8536

Attachments

• MathMagic181029_1.png
    MathMagic181029_1.png
    18.1 KB · Views: 69
You didn't square the 2 on the RHS.

MarkFL said:
You didn't square the 2 on the RHS.

You are right.

I squared 2 on the right side but ended up with a quadratic equation that does not lead to the textbook answers. See picture.

View attachment 8537

Attachments

• sDraw_2018-10-29_11-15-56.png
    sDraw_2018-10-29_11-15-56.png
    30.8 KB · Views: 63
You've made a sign error, you should get:

\(\displaystyle 7x^2-36x+32=0\)

Attachments

• MathMagic181029_1.png
    MathMagic181029_1.png
    18.1 KB · Views: 63

What is an absolute value equation?

An absolute value equation is an equation that contains an absolute value expression. An absolute value expression represents the distance of a number from zero on a number line. It is written as |x| where x is the number within the absolute value bars. The solution to an absolute value equation can be either positive or negative.

What is the general format of an absolute value equation?

The general format of an absolute value equation is |ax + b| = c, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable. The goal is to isolate the absolute value expression and solve for x.

How do I solve an absolute value equation?

To solve an absolute value equation, you need to isolate the absolute value expression by undoing any operations that are being applied to it. If the absolute value expression is on both sides of the equation, you will need to create two separate equations and solve for both the positive and negative solutions. Once you have the solutions, you can check them by plugging them back into the original equation.

What is the solution to the equation |3x - 2|/|2x - 3| = 2?

The solution to the equation |3x - 2|/|2x - 3| = 2 is x = 1 or x = 5. To solve, you would first isolate the absolute value expressions by multiplying both sides by the denominators. This would give you two equations: 3x - 2 = 4x - 6 and 3x - 2 = -4x + 6. Solving for x in each equation would give you the solutions of x = 1 and x = 5.

What are some real-life applications of absolute value equations?

Absolute value equations can be used to solve problems involving distance, such as finding the distance between two points on a map or the absolute value of a change in temperature. They can also be used in physics to calculate displacement and velocity. In finance, absolute value equations can be used to calculate the gains or losses of investments. Additionally, absolute value equations can be used to model real-life situations, such as population growth or the spread of a disease.