Absorption of oxygen: lungs' vs. other capillaries

In summary, the conversation discusses the comparison of surface area and efficiency in terms of oxygen absorption between alveolar capillaries and all other arterial capillaries. The total surface area of alveolar capillaries is smaller, but the diffusion distance is shorter, resulting in efficient oxygenation. Further details are provided on the partial pressure of oxygen in different parts of the circulatory system and the length of capillaries in different species. The mean diffusion distance and surface area for systemic exchange are also mentioned.
Loren Booda
Is the surface area of the alveolar capillaries comparable to that of all other arterial capillaries?

Biology news on Phys.org
Your thread title and question in your post are not really the same thing. Can you clarify what exactly you're interested in learning so we can answer appropriately?

Moonbear,

Thank you.

I am asking whether the oxygen absorptive surface area of the circulatory system excluding the lungs is equivalent to that at them. I. e., does the efficiency for oxygen breathed in the alveoli equal that across all cell walls? I find it interesting that the smaller surface area of the lungs absorbs just as much oxygen inefficiently from the air as all cells inhale through osmosis.

I am not 100% sure on this, but iirc the total surface area of the alveolar capilaries is smaller than that of the total surface area of the systemic capillaries. However, the diffusion distance is much less, so that the pulmonary blood is fully oxygenated long before it transits the entire capillary.

Wow! That may be what I am looking for.

Well, my Biomedical Engineering Principles textbooks lists the alveolar surface area as 70 m², and the diffusion distance as 0.1-1.0 um. The partial pressure of O2 in venous blood is listed as 40 mmHg and the partial pressure of O2 in alveolar air is listed as 104 mmHg. The partial pressure of O2 in arterial blood is listed as 95 mmHg with tissue interstitial fluid at 40 mmHg being in equilibrium with venous blood, but I cannot find the mean diffusion distance or surface area for systemic exchange.

That's a more detail than I knew even existed. I once read in the 1964 (ha!) World Book that the total length of capillaries in the human body would wrap several times around the earth.

By "mean diffusion distance or surface area for systemic exchange," do you mean at the cellular level?

Loren Booda said:
That's a more detail than I knew even existed. I once read in the 1964 (ha!) World Book that the total length of capillaries in the human body would wrap several times around the earth.
The same textbook gives the typical length of a capillary in dogs as 1 mm and the number as 1.2E9. So a dog's capillaries wouldn't wrap aroud the earth, but a human is bigger than a dog.

Loren Booda said:
By "mean diffusion distance or surface area for systemic exchange," do you mean at the cellular level?
Yes, on the tissue side instead of the lung side.

Related to Absorption of oxygen: lungs' vs. other capillaries

What is the process of oxygen absorption in the lungs?

The lungs are the main organs responsible for the absorption of oxygen in the body. When we breathe in, oxygen enters through the nose or mouth and travels down the trachea into the lungs. The oxygen then diffuses across the alveolar membrane, which is the thin wall of the air sacs in the lungs. From there, it enters the capillaries, which are tiny blood vessels surrounding the alveoli. The oxygen is then carried by the blood to the rest of the body.

How does the absorption of oxygen in the lungs differ from other capillaries in the body?

The lungs have a specialized structure that is designed for efficient gas exchange. The alveoli have a large surface area and are surrounded by a dense network of capillaries, allowing for a high rate of oxygen absorption. Other capillaries in the body may have a smaller surface area and a different arrangement, as their primary function is to transport blood rather than facilitate gas exchange.

What factors affect the absorption of oxygen in the lungs?

The efficiency of oxygen absorption in the lungs can be influenced by various factors such as lung health, altitude, and exercise. Chronic lung diseases such as asthma, COPD, and emphysema can impair the function of the alveoli and affect the absorption of oxygen. At higher altitudes, the air contains less oxygen, making it more difficult for the lungs to absorb enough oxygen. Exercise increases the demand for oxygen, causing the lungs to work harder and absorb more oxygen.

Is the absorption of oxygen in the lungs a passive or active process?

The absorption of oxygen in the lungs is a passive process. It relies on the difference in oxygen concentration between the alveoli and the blood in the capillaries. The concentration of oxygen is higher in the alveoli, so oxygen molecules diffuse across the alveolar membrane into the capillaries. This process does not require energy expenditure by the body.

What is the role of hemoglobin in the absorption of oxygen in the lungs?

Hemoglobin is a protein found in red blood cells that is responsible for carrying oxygen throughout the body. In the lungs, hemoglobin binds to oxygen molecules that have diffused into the capillaries. This allows for efficient transport of oxygen to the tissues and organs that need it. Without hemoglobin, the absorption of oxygen in the lungs would not be possible.