Abstract Algebra: Homomorphism

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof involving residue classes and homomorphisms. The first part of the proof is believed to be proven, showing that a residue class mod mn is a subset of the residue class mod m. The conversation also mentions constructing a homomorphism from Z/mn to Z/m x Z/n coordinatewise. However, the second part of the proof is still unclear and further input is needed. The conversation also mentions using the notation [a]_{m} to define the map and possibly proving that it is a homomorphism.
dav3
Hey all,
I`ve been working at this "proof" for several hours now, have put it away several times thinking that maybe I`ll get it if I leave it alone for a bit...has not worked =] It has 2 parts, I think I have proven the first part, but the second one really just stumps me =|

1. Show that a residue class [a] module mn is a subset of the residue class [a] modulo m. This defines a homomorphism Z/mn [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] Z/m, where Z is the set of integers. A similar construction gives a homomorphism from Z/mn to Z/n.

Now, use the above maps to construct a homomorphism Z/mn [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] Z/m x Z/n coordinatewise, i.e., from f:R [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] S and g:R[tex]\rightarrow[/tex] T, each x [tex]\in[/tex] R determines (f(x),g(x)) [tex]\in[/tex] S x T. This must shown to be a homomorphism if f and g are.

Okay, I believe I have a "proof" of the first part. Here it goes:

A residue class [a] mod mn contains all integers b such that mn | (a-b). Now, by definition, m | mn. Since m|mn and mn|(a-b), we see that m|(a-b) (if a|b and b|c then a|c). Hence, all integers that are members of [a] mod mn are members of [a] mod m, so [a] mod mn is a subset of [a] mod m.

I believe the same method is used to prove that [a] mod mn is a subset of [a] mod n. QED (i think =))

As for the second part, I don't even know where to begin. Any input/help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well your problem with the second part might be that you haven't finished the first part.

What are the maps that you're supposed to get out of the first part? The notation [tex][a]_{m}[/tex] = residue class of a mod m is useful for defining the map. It's not clearly stated that you need to show that this is a homomorphism in the first part but proving that it is might be helpful anyway unless you already see it.

Related to Abstract Algebra: Homomorphism

What is a homomorphism in abstract algebra?

A homomorphism in abstract algebra is a function that preserves the algebraic structure between two objects. In other words, it maps elements from one algebraic structure to another in a way that respects the operations and relations between the elements.

What are the two main types of homomorphisms in abstract algebra?

The two main types of homomorphisms in abstract algebra are group homomorphisms and ring homomorphisms. Group homomorphisms preserve the group structure, while ring homomorphisms preserve both the ring structure and the multiplicative structure.

How do you determine if a function is a homomorphism?

To determine if a function is a homomorphism, you need to check if it preserves the operations and relations between the elements. This means that if you apply the function to two elements and then perform the operation (addition or multiplication), the result should be the same as if you first perform the operation on the elements and then apply the function.

What is the difference between a monomorphism and an epimorphism?

A monomorphism is an injective homomorphism, meaning that it preserves distinctness. This means that if two elements in the domain are mapped to the same element in the codomain, then the elements in the domain must have been the same. On the other hand, an epimorphism is a surjective homomorphism, meaning that it preserves the fullness of the codomain. This means that every element in the codomain has at least one element in the domain that maps to it.

What is the significance of homomorphisms in abstract algebra?

Homomorphisms are important in abstract algebra because they allow us to understand the structure of one algebraic system by studying the structure of another related system. They also help us to identify and classify different algebraic structures by looking at the properties preserved by the homomorphism.