AC Circuit (RL) Homework: Finding the Series R-L Equivalent for Two Loads

In summary, the circuit shown in Figure Q2(b) includes two loads A and B connected to a power supply through a cable with series R and L values of R = 0.1Ω and L = 0.1 mH. The loads have specifications of 230V, 50Hz, 1kW, and pf=0.5 lagging for Load A and 230V, 50Hz, 1kW, and pf=0.87 lagging for Load B. The task is to find the series R-L equivalent of the two loads together. To do this, the impedances of Load A and B must be calculated and converted from parallel to series connection. The cable impedance is
galaxy_twirl

Homework Statement

In the circuit shown in Figure Q2(b), two loads A and B are connected to the source. The cable connecting the power supply to the load is modeled as series R and L of values R = 0.1Ω, L = 0.1 mH as shown in the figure.

The loads have the following specifications:
Load A: 230V, 50Hz, 1kW, pf=0.5 lagging.
Load B: 230V,50Hz, 1kW, pf=0.87 lagging

Find the series R-L equivalent of the two loads together.

Figure 2(b):
j9q00p.jpg

Homework Equations

ZL = jωL
Pactive = Vrms*Irms*cos∅ (∅ means phi)
Preactive = Vrms*Irms*sin∅ (∅ means phi)

The Attempt at a Solution

Given the specifications for loads A and B, am I right to say that as long as I supply 230V, 50Hz to those 2 loads, I will get a power output of 1kW? Just wondering, does "Find the series R-L equivalent of the two loads" mean I have to find the impedances of Load A and B and convert them from parallel to series connection (just like 2 parallel batteries)?

Since the loads have lagging power factor, they are inductors.

As I am not given more information on the loads, I can only deduce L from Pactive = Vrms*Irms*cos∅, and vL(t) = L(diL(t)/dt)). Am I right to say this? However, I am stuck as I don't know Vrms and Irms.

May I have some hints please?

Thank you. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
galaxy_twirl said:
Given the specifications for loads A and B, am I right to say that as long as I supply 230V, 50Hz to those 2 loads, I will get a power output of 1kW?
Yes, 1kW from each.
Just wondering, does "Find the series R-L equivalent of the two loads" mean I have to find the impedances of Load A and B and convert them from parallel to series connection (just like 2 parallel batteries)?
Convert from 2 inductors and 2 resistances to a single equivalent L-R.

NascentOxygen said:
Convert from 2 inductors and 2 resistances to a single equivalent L-R.

Thank you. :) What do you mean by 2 inductors and 2 resistances? Just to confirm, Load A and B are not purely inductors right? (I am getting a bit suspicious because it dissipates active(real) power, as stated, "1kW".)

If that is the case, I will have ZA = R + jX, where R is resistance and X is the inductance (or imaginary part), right?

Each load can be considered to comprise one R and one L, and the combination determines that load's power factor.

The R accounts for real power.

I see. Thanks. I shall go and try it and let you know if I can get the answer, prolly a few hours later as I have to run now. :)

I am still not getting what does "find the series R-L equivalent of the 2 loads together mean". Does it mean I find the total impedance and then do 1/Zeff = 1/Z1 + 1/X2 ?

i.e.: For Load A, I do:

Pactive = Vrms*Irms*cos∅ (phi).

Hence, Pactive = Vrms*(Vrms / Z)*cos∅, so substituting all values in, we have:

1000 = (2302 / ZA)*cos∅.

However, I was wondering, the active power will not be the same since the inductor and resistor took up some voltage before it reaches the node of Load A. Am I right to say this? And may I know if my working above is correct?

Thanks!

Yes, you can sum the reciprocals of the impedances, the loads are parallel. Your method looks like it should work.

Inclusion of the cable impedance gives the problem realism. You are correct in saying the loads will not receive their rated 230V, but that is not relevant to the specific task you are tackling here.

NascentOxygen said:
Yes, you can sum the reciprocals of the impedances, the loads are parallel. Your method looks like it should work.

Inclusion of the cable impedance gives the problem realism. You are correct in saying the loads will not receive their rated 230V, but that is not relevant to the specific task you are tackling here.

I see. I didn't know the cable will have impedance. I suppose it is linked to resistance in the cable and passing an AC voltage changes the term resistance to 'impedance', right?

May I know why is it not a concern that the loads are not receiving 230V? I thought they will not give the max rated power output of 1kW if they are not supplied with 230V of p.d. across them.

Thank you. :)

The calculations you are doing concern load specifications, and these are specified at 230V.

A cable has resistance, also inductance, as well as capacitance to earth, so it has a characteristic impedance.

Last edited:
NascentOxygen said:
The calculations you are doing concern load specifications, and these are specified at 230V.

I see. But if I don't supply 230V as in this case, won't I be wrong if I use 1kW as the power output? Sorry. I am a bit confused at the moment. :(

galaxy_twirl said:
I see. But if I don't supply 230V as in this case, won't I be wrong if I use 1kW as the power output? Sorry. I am a bit confused at the moment. :(
The loads are defined by Specification:

galaxy_twirl said:
The loads have the following specifications:
Load A: 230V, 50Hz, 1kW, pf=0.5 lagging.
Load B: 230V,50Hz, 1kW, pf=0.87 lagging

That means that these loads, if connected to an ideal 230 V, 50 Hz source without any intervening cable would draw the specified power at the specified phase angle. This gives you enough information to characterize these loads in terms of their impedances. The power cable is irrelevant for this problem.

Perhaps there are other sections to the problem which you've not mentioned yet where the cable impedance becomes important?

galaxy_twirl said:
In practice, the supply voltage is never going to be exactly what the load was nominally specified to operate from. This is a fact of life, and power engineers accept this. Sure, it does mean that the load probably won't be drawing exactly 1,000.0 watts of power whenever its voltage departs from 230.0V but loads are designed to be tolerant of voltage errors (and may compensate for it by various means if ever it's important). If precise calculations are needed then that can be done, but here you are basing your calculations on the nominal design voltage, 230V. So long as the cable impedance is within acceptable limits, the loads will work just fine on whatever the voltage ends up being.

gneill said:
The loads are defined by Specification:
That means that these loads, if connected to an ideal 230 V, 50 Hz source without any intervening cable would draw the specified power at the specified phase angle. This gives you enough information to characterize these loads in terms of their impedances. The power cable is irrelevant for this problem.

Perhaps there are other sections to the problem which you've not mentioned yet where the cable impedance becomes important?

I see. Thanks for your explanation. :)

Hmm. There are 2 small question parts related to this question. They are:

Part ii) Find the power factor as seen from the source.
Part iii) Find the value of the capacitor to be connected across the source so that the source voltage and the total current drawn from it are in phase with each other.

I think the questions above should not interfere with how I see/factor in the RL of the cable. :)

NascentOxygen said:
In practice, the supply voltage is never going to be exactly what the load was nominally specified to operate from. This is a fact of life, and power engineers accept this. Sure, it does mean that the load probably won't be drawing exactly 1,000.0 watts of power whenever its voltage departs from 230.0V but loads are designed to be tolerant of voltage errors (and may compensate for it by various means if ever it's important). If precise calculations are needed then that can be done, but here you are basing your calculations on the nominal design voltage, 230V. So long as the cable impedance is within acceptable limits, the loads will work just fine on whatever the voltage ends up being.

I see. Alright. I shall try it out later. :) Thanks! I am just a bit puzzled about the voltage issue but other than that, I should be fine. :)

galaxy_twirl said:
Hmm. There are 2 small question parts related to this question. They are:

Part ii) Find the power factor as seen from the source.
Part iii) Find the value of the capacitor to be connected across the source so that the source voltage and the total current drawn from it are in phase with each other.

I think the questions above should not interfere with how I see/factor in the RL of the cable. :)
Okay, these two questions are where the cable impedance comes into play. The source sees the cable impedance as part of its total load.

gneill said:
Okay, these two questions are where the cable impedance comes into play. The source sees the cable impedance as part of its total load.

I see. Thanks! I will take a look again tomorrow and if I have any problems I will post here again. :)

I got ZA = 26.45 Ohms after working out the above. However, how do I express this in terms of Z = R + jX = R + jωL?

I realized my teacher somehow arrived at 13.23 Ohms for R. How and why did my teacher do that? *puzzled* :S

galaxy_twirl said:
I got ZA = 26.45 Ohms after working out the above. However, how do I express this in terms of Z = R + jX = R + jωL?

I realized my teacher somehow arrived at 13.23 Ohms for R. How and why did my teacher do that? *puzzled* :S
26.45 is the magnitude of the "A" impedance. What's its angle?

gneill said:
26.45 is the magnitude of the "A" impedance. What's its angle?

From power factor = cos∅, cos∅=0.5, hence, by cos-1 0.5 = 60°. Angle = 60°

galaxy_twirl said:
From power factor = cos∅, cos∅=0.5, hence, by cos-1 0.5 = 60°. Angle = 60°
Yup. So you have the polar form of that impedance. Convert to rectangular.

gneill said:
Yup. So you have the polar form of that impedance. Convert to rectangular.

OH! I get the picture now. Oh dear. I think one really cannot do engineering without a strong Maths foundation. Sigh.

Thanks for pointing it out. :)

galaxy_twirl said:

You said the power factor (which means cos ɸ) is 0.5 here,
so to find the real component of Z you can go 26.45Ω x 0.5

Last edited:
NascentOxygen said:
You said the power factor (which means cos ɸ) is 0.5 here,
so to find the real component of Z you can go 26.45Ω x 0.5

Ah yes, I forgot for a moment about complex numbers, and hence I couldn't see that I need to convert polar back to rectangular form, which is:

x = rcosθ
y = rsinθ

Thanks for your help! :)

Finding the real component was straight-forward.

Q: how to determine sin ɸ without needing to determine ɸ itself?

Last edited:
I am guessing, I have to use the Power Triangle, with Apparent Power, on the HYP, Active power as the base of the triangle and Reactive Power as the vertical of the triangle. The triangle is a right-angled triangle. Am I right? :)

galaxy_twirl said:
I am guessing, I have to use the Power Triangle, with Apparent Power, on the HYP, Active power as the base of the triangle and Reactive Power as the vertical of the triangle. The triangle is a right-angled triangle. Am I right? :)
All very true, and that's what you will use ...

though doesn't touch on the answer I had in mind. oo)

NascentOxygen said:
All very true, and that's what you will use ...though doesn't touch on the answer I had in mind. oo)

I see. Haha. :) You may want to share your answer in mind with me, perhaps I may learn something new. :D

I had in mind Euler's Theorem. Undoubtedly you have studied it in maths, but perhaps not yet related it to engineering. (pronounced OILERS)

NascentOxygen said:
I had in mind Euler's Theorem. Undoubtedly you have studied it in maths, but perhaps not yet related it to engineering. (pronounced OILERS)

I see. I heard of Euler's formula when learned complex number at A levels, which is, any complex number of the form:

z = a + bi

can be expressed in the form z = re. where r = √(a2 + b2) and θ = tan-1(b/a).

Is this the Euler's Theorem in your mind? :)

Oops, :oops: what I had in mind is a Pythagorean identity

trig_ID.gif

Using that first one, you can find the magnitude of sine (x) if you already know cosine (x).

(I'm not sure why I decided to credit it to Euler, but Euler has enough to his credit without me heaping more still, even in error.)

NascentOxygen said:
Oops, :oops: what I had in mind is a Pythagorean identity

View attachment 75436

Using that first one, you can find the magnitude of sine (x) if you already know cosine (x).

(I'm not sure why I decided to credit it to Euler, but Euler has enough to his credit without me heaping more still, even in error.)

I see. I like the figure you attached above. Haha. :) Thanks a lot for your help! :D Yupp, Euler is a great Mathematician I think. I have heard of his name in my Science Club in high school, so I guess he must be very famous and made lots of contribution to the field of Mathematics. :)

What is an AC circuit?

An AC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that uses alternating current (AC) to power devices and appliances. Unlike direct current (DC), which flows in only one direction, AC alternates between positive and negative directions, typically at a frequency of 50 or 60 cycles per second.

What is the purpose of finding the series R-L equivalent for two loads?

The series R-L equivalent is a simplified representation of a circuit that contains both resistance (R) and inductance (L). By finding the equivalent for two loads in series, we can analyze the behavior of the circuit and calculate important parameters such as current, voltage, and power.

How do you calculate the series R-L equivalent for two loads?

To calculate the series R-L equivalent for two loads, you need to first find the total resistance and total inductance of the circuit. The total resistance is the sum of the individual resistances, while the total inductance is the sum of the individual inductances. Then, you can use the formula Z = √(R² + (ωL)²) to find the total impedance, where ω is the angular frequency (2πf) and Z is the series R-L equivalent.

What is the difference between series and parallel R-L circuits?

In a series R-L circuit, the components are connected end-to-end, meaning that the same current flows through each component. In a parallel R-L circuit, the components are connected side-by-side, meaning that the voltage across each component is the same. Additionally, in a series R-L circuit, the total resistance is equal to the sum of the individual resistances, while in a parallel R-L circuit, the total resistance is less than the smallest individual resistance.

What are some real-life applications of R-L circuits?

R-L circuits are commonly found in household appliances, such as refrigerators and air conditioners, as well as in electronic devices such as computers and televisions. They are also used in power transmission and distribution systems to regulate voltage and current levels. Additionally, R-L circuits are used in electric motors, which are found in many industrial and commercial applications.