AC Motor Suggestions for a new product

In summary, a blender motor may be able to be used to meet the torque and rpm requirements for a product, but may require adaptation or finding a suitable AC motor.
Shamir
Hello community. I am currently working on a product that requires relatively high torque and rpm, around 3 N/m torque and between 150-300 rpm to be specific. My knowledge about motor is very limited and i am running out of time. I understand that i won't find the exact spec and probably will have to adapt a motor.
How do i go out about doing that is the question..
So any help will be much appreciated. :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
the motor will be used in a kitchen appliance similar to citrus juicer mechanism. so dc is no good. iv been told i can use a blender motor to the spec i need but i don't really know how...

You don't know how as in...you don't know how to control the speed of the motor? Or?

for example if i bought a cheap blender and wanted to use its motor for testing. the motor with have its own spec, how i do control the speed and torque so i can get the rpm and torque that i need out of it..

Your application is neither high torque, nor high rpm so it should be relatively easy to find one to fit the bill. Motors typically run in the multiple thousands of rpm, so what you're going to need is an AC gear motor (AC motor with a reduction gearbox attached). Best place to look in my opinion is GlobalSpec:

http://www.globalspec.com/SpecSearch/Suppliers?QID=22284997&Comp=36&fc=1

You can sort by type of motor, speed, torque, power, configuration, etc. etc. etc.

Thank you, globalspec was very useful in finding custom motors, unfortunately they are a bit pricey. I have decided to use a DC geared motor due to the fact i can't find AC motors that match my spec AND dimensions.
Don't know if there are any issues with using a DC motor for a kitchen appliance as i have never come across one.

Know that if it is a kitchen appliance, your electricity supply at the wall will be 120V AC, you will need a transformer to step it down to usable DC voltage.

1. What is an AC motor?

An AC (alternating current) motor is an electric motor that operates using alternating current. It converts electrical energy into mechanical energy to power various devices and machines.

2. What are the benefits of using an AC motor in a new product?

AC motors are highly efficient, reliable, and cost-effective. They have a long lifespan and require minimal maintenance. They also have a wide range of speed and torque capabilities, making them suitable for various applications.

3. How do I choose the right AC motor for my new product?

When selecting an AC motor, you should consider factors such as power requirements, speed and torque requirements, size and weight limitations, and cost. It is also essential to consult with a knowledgeable supplier to ensure you choose the right motor for your specific needs.

4. Can an AC motor be controlled or adjusted?

Yes, AC motors can be controlled and adjusted using variable frequency drives (VFDs) or other control methods. This allows for precise control over the motor's speed and torque, making it suitable for a wide range of applications.

5. Are there any safety considerations when using an AC motor in a new product?

Yes, it is essential to follow all safety guidelines and regulations when using an AC motor in a new product. This includes proper installation and maintenance, as well as ensuring the motor is appropriately grounded and protected from overloading or overheating.