AC Steady State Analysis for Node V1 and V2 using Ohm's Law and KCL

In summary, the conversation discusses finding steady state expressions for nodes v1 and v2 in terms of Acos(wt+theta) using Ohm's law, KCL, and node analysis. The attempt at a solution involved converting to phasors and finding the impedances for each element. However, there was an error in the equation for node 2, which was corrected by combining the impedances of the capacitor and inductor. The conversation also mentions an alternative method of simplifying the circuit by combining impedances, but it involved more work. The conversation ends with the suggestion to solve the circuit using nodal analysis.
butleRonius

Homework Statement

Steif.ch06.p41_1.jpg

Find the steady state expressions in terms of Acos(wt+theta) for nodes v1 and v2.

Homework Equations

Ohm's law
KCL
Node Analysis

The Attempt at a Solution

Convert to phasors and find impedances-> R1= 50 Ohms R2= 30 Ohms
C1= -j2500=1/j*4e-4 Ohms C2= -j2000=1/j5e-4 Ohms
L1= j5 Ohms L2= j10 Ohms

I'm not getting an acceptable answer when I use Wolfram to solve the systems produced. I believe the error is that I need to combine the impedances of the capacitor and the inductor coming off of node 2, but I'm not sure since there is another node there. It's quite possible there are multiple errors on my part.

Attachments

• 20140928_170958.jpg
    20140928_170958.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 441
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi butleRonius. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

There is no restriction on what impedance can comprise each branch; it doesn't have to be a single element. In your eqn (2) you need to replace 1/(j3E4) by 1/(z) where z is the series impedance of the capacitor and inductor.

So there's a little sub-exercise for you, determining that series impedance before using it in eqn (2).

Last edited by a moderator:
so -j2000 + j10 = -j1990

Sub that in: v2/-j1990

Solve using nodal?

I actually tried combining as (Zc+ZL) || Zr but that turned into a nightmare

Thanks.

Solved. Thank you.

butleRonius said:
so -j2000 + j10 = -j1990
Sub that in: v2/-j1990

Solve using nodal?
Sure, go ahead.
I actually tried combining as (Zc+ZL) || Zr but that turned into a nightmare
A little bit of work involved, yes, but it simplifies the circuit to one with no nodes so the subsequent analysis is shorter. Swings and roundabouts ...

What is AC steady state analysis?

AC steady state analysis is a technique used in electrical engineering to analyze the behavior of circuits in a steady state when an alternating current (AC) is applied. It involves solving for the steady state values of voltages, currents, and power in the circuit.

Why is AC steady state analysis important?

AC steady state analysis is important because it allows engineers to understand how a circuit will behave when an AC power source is applied. It is used in the design and analysis of various electrical systems, such as power grids, motors, and electronic devices.

What are the key components of AC steady state analysis?

The key components of AC steady state analysis include complex numbers, phasors, and frequency. These are used to represent the AC quantities in a circuit and simplify the calculations involved in the analysis.

How is AC steady state analysis different from DC analysis?

The main difference between AC steady state analysis and DC analysis is that AC analysis involves time-varying quantities, while DC analysis involves only constant values. AC analysis also takes into account the frequency of the AC source, which is not a factor in DC analysis.

What are some applications of AC steady state analysis?

AC steady state analysis is used in a wide range of applications, including power system analysis, design of electrical machines, audio signal processing, and telecommunications. It is also used in the analysis of electronic circuits and devices, such as amplifiers, filters, and oscillators.