AC Two-Way Switch: Setting Up & Testing in PSPICE

• Thread starter nst.john
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ac Switch
In summary: This would give you a resonant circuit.In summary, you could make a switch that outputs the capacitive load's output and the inductor's load output by monitoring two outputs with a Spice program.
nst.john
Hello People!

So currently I have an AC input going into a capacitor and inductor in parallel, and I want the output from the capacitor and inductor to go into a switch that flips from outputting the capacitive load's output and the inductor's load output, a little diagram is shown below:
upload_2017-4-29_12-59-9.png

Instead of two resistors, both outputs would go into a switch with the switch's output connected to a load resistor. How could I go about making this switch and checking it in PSPICE? Thank you in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
switch in pspice called sw_tclose or sw_topen (N.o_Or N.C switch), both can be found in eval library

edit: the emoji stands for normally open, I can fix it but I find that amusing

Likes berkeman
Fantastic, thank you very much!

nst.john said:
Hello People!

So currently I have an AC input going into a capacitor and inductor in parallel, and I want the output from the capacitor and inductor to go into a switch that flips from outputting the capacitive load's output and the inductor's load output, a little diagram is shown below:
View attachment 197483
Instead of two resistors, both outputs would go into a switch with the switch's output connected to a load resistor. How could I go about making this switch and checking it in PSPICE? Thank you in advance!
You could just monitor two outputs at the same time with a Spice program.

You would see that the inductor increases its reactance with rising frequency, so you would get less output. And the capacitor has the opposite effect.

You could observe the changes in phase that occur if you change the frequency.

However, you would miss the resonance effect that occurs when the reactances of the capacitor and inductor are equal.

For this, you could connect both the inductor and capacitor together at one end of a resistor which is connected to ground at the other end.

1. What is an AC two-way switch in PSPICE?

An AC two-way switch in PSPICE is a type of electronic device used to control the flow of alternating current (AC) in a circuit. It allows for the connection and disconnection of two different AC paths, providing a convenient way to turn on and off a particular portion of a circuit.

2. How do I set up an AC two-way switch in PSPICE?

To set up an AC two-way switch in PSPICE, you will need to first select the switch component from the PSPICE library and place it in the desired location on your circuit schematic. Next, you will need to connect the appropriate AC sources and loads to the switch, making sure to follow the proper polarity and direction of current flow. Finally, you will need to assign the appropriate values for the switch parameters, such as resistance and capacitance, to accurately model its behavior in the circuit.

3. How do I test an AC two-way switch in PSPICE?

To test an AC two-way switch in PSPICE, you can use the simulation tools provided by the software. This will allow you to run different scenarios and observe how the switch behaves under different conditions. You can also use probes to measure the voltage and current at different points in the circuit to ensure that the switch is functioning as expected.

4. Can I use an AC two-way switch in a DC circuit?

Yes, an AC two-way switch can also be used in a DC circuit. However, it is important to note that the switch may not function exactly the same as it would in an AC circuit, as DC current behaves differently than AC current. It is important to carefully consider the switch parameters and test its functionality in the specific DC circuit it will be used in.

5. Are there any limitations to using an AC two-way switch in PSPICE?

One potential limitation of using an AC two-way switch in PSPICE is that it may not accurately model the physical behavior of a real switch. This is because the switch component in PSPICE is an idealized model and may not take into account any real-world imperfections or limitations of a physical switch. It is important to carefully consider and account for these discrepancies when using an AC two-way switch in your circuit simulations.