Academic journals aimed at education/teaching

In summary, the best/most highly ranked journal in math/phys education/teaching is probably not one you are currently reading.
feynman1
is there a list for maths/physics related academic journals aimed at education/teaching

Science news on Phys.org
Thanks a lot. Physics Education isn't in SCI? PRPER has an IF~2 but is only in SCIE. So will publishing a paper there be easier than normal research journals?

If you are looking to publish, the usual advice is you should send it to a journal you are already reading.

Likes Dale
but we need to be open to more choices don't we

feynman1 said:
So will publishing a paper there be easier than normal research journals?
Usually I submit to the more difficult journal first. If I don’t get in then usually the comments from the peer reviewers help improve it enough that getting in the less prestigious journal is easy.

Likes feynman1
feynman1 said:
Thanks a lot. Physics Education isn't in SCI? PRPER has an IF~2 but is only in SCIE. So will publishing a paper there be easier than normal research journals?

I don't know what this means. What "metric" are you using to claim that it is "easier"? Is it easier than, say, publishing in Nuclear Instrumentation and Methods journal, which I'm guessing, you consider to be a "normal research journal"? Who can tell?

Zz.

I do the same. Which journal is the best/most highly ranked in math/phys education/teaching?

ZapperZ said:
I don't know what this means. What "metric" are you using to claim that it is "easier"? Is it easier than, say, publishing in Nuclear Instrumentation and Methods journal, which I'm guessing, you consider to be a "normal research journal"? Who can tell?

Zz.
I understand how hard it is to answer this question. To publish in a research journal, one needs to propose some new discoveries to varying degrees. To publish in a teaching journal, reviewers might be more lenient regarding novelty?

Education research is still research.

but not that cutting edge right

feynman1 said:
but not that cutting edge right

Are you trying to denigrate educational research? If so, try to publish in one, and then come here and tell me it is easy.

Till then, this has been a waste of my time.

Zz.

feynman1 said:
but we need to be open to more choices don't we

More choices than journals you are reading?

This thread seems to be that you have something you want to piblish in a physics education journal, because you think it will be easier than in a "regular" journal (whatever that is) because these journals are lower quality. Because they are lower quality, there is no point in your reading them.

If this is accurate, its offensive to researchers in PER and unlikely to succeed in any event. If this is inaccurate, why not spend a paragraph explaining what exactly you are trying to do.

Of course not belittling educational journals. Have sth to publish about contemplation of the existing framework rather than anything totally new. Sometimes studies on daily life phenomena can't fit in research journals but might be of interest to edu journals.

1. What is an academic journal aimed at education/teaching?

An academic journal aimed at education/teaching is a publication that contains scholarly articles and research studies focused on topics related to education and teaching. These journals are typically peer-reviewed, meaning that articles are evaluated by experts in the field before being accepted for publication. They are a valuable resource for educators, researchers, and students to stay updated on current trends and advancements in the field of education.

2. What types of articles can be found in academic journals aimed at education/teaching?

Academic journals aimed at education/teaching can contain a variety of articles, including original research studies, literature reviews, theoretical discussions, and practical application pieces. These articles may cover a range of topics such as teaching methods, educational policies, curriculum development, and educational technology.

3. How do I know if an academic journal aimed at education/teaching is reputable?

One way to determine the reputation of an academic journal is to look at its impact factor. This is a measurement of the average number of citations per article in a particular journal over a certain period of time. Journals with a higher impact factor are generally considered more prestigious and influential in their field. It is also important to consider the publisher and editorial board of the journal, as well as any affiliations with professional organizations or universities.

4. Can anyone submit an article to an academic journal aimed at education/teaching?

No, not everyone can submit an article to an academic journal aimed at education/teaching. These journals typically have specific guidelines and criteria for submitting articles, and they often require authors to have a certain level of expertise and credentials in the field of education. Additionally, most journals use a peer-review process to evaluate submissions, so not all articles will be accepted for publication.

5. How can I access academic journals aimed at education/teaching?

Academic journals aimed at education/teaching can be accessed through various channels, such as university libraries, online databases, and individual journal websites. Some journals may require a subscription or membership to access their content, while others may offer open access options. Additionally, many articles from these journals can be found through online search engines or through academic networking sites like ResearchGate.