Accelerating charged particles emit EM waves?

In summary: Basically, when an electron is accelerated, its electric field lines will remain pointing towards itself, however its magnetic field will increase in magnitude.
plazprestige
I know that if you have alternating current in a wire, it will produce electromagnetic waves since the electric and magnetic field change direction continuously as the wave propagates, and that the wave direction, orientation of the E component, and orientation of the B component will all be mutually perpendicular.

However, this acceleration arises from changing direction of charged particles, not speed.

My question is this:

If I were to accelerate an electron by increasing its speed in one dimension (+x), would that electron emit EM waves?

The electron will have a constant electric field pointing towards itself, and its magnetic field will be going into the page in the 1st quadrant and going out of the page in the 4th quadrant, and the magnitude of the magnetic field will be increasing.

I can visualize the mutually perpendicular B and E waves, but they would not be changing orientation continuously since it isn't AC current. Would this still be an EM wave?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,

The answer to your question in bold is: yes!
(For the case of uniform acceleration (at all times!) it's a bit controversial, the theory is not clear on its prediction, or perhaps it depends on what you mean by radiation in that case, but the example is pathological so never mind for now)

Generally: an accelerating charge radiates.

I don't really follow what you say next though. I think you're having some misconceptions. For example "The electron will have a constant electric field pointing towards itself" is not really correct: the electric field is retarded (due to the fact that the electric field spreads out at a finite speed), e.g. see http://www.cco.caltech.edu/~phys1/java/phys1/MovingCharge/MovingCharge.html

Also "but they would not be changing orientation continuously" doesn't sound correct: the electric field and magnetic field are changing in time, aren't they? This is simply due to their source changing in time.

I'm a bit confused then. An electron will have electric field lines pointing toward itself (since convention has positive test charges in the field). As the electron speeds up, its electric field will not change directly since its charge is the same, but its magnetic field will increase in magnitude.

Would this increasing magnetic field induce an increasing electric field?

Even if the answer to the above is yes, I still do not see how an electron simply speeding up will produce EM waves in the nature of which alternating current produces EM waves.

"I'm a bit confused then. An electron will have electric field lines pointing toward itself"

Did you not fully read my last point? I addressed this misconception.

Yes, the accelerated electron would still emit electromagnetic waves. This is because any change in the motion of charged particles, whether it is a change in speed or direction, will result in the emission of electromagnetic waves. In the case of increasing the speed of an electron, the changing electric and magnetic fields will still be present and will propagate as an electromagnetic wave. While the orientation of the fields may not be changing continuously, the wave itself is still propagating and carrying energy through space. Therefore, this would still be considered an electromagnetic wave.

1. How do accelerating charged particles emit electromagnetic waves?

When charged particles, such as electrons, are accelerated, they create a changing electric field around them. This changing electric field then creates a changing magnetic field, which in turn creates a changing electric field again, and so on. These changing fields propagate outward in all directions, creating electromagnetic waves.

2. What is the relationship between the acceleration of charged particles and the frequency of the emitted EM waves?

The frequency of the emitted electromagnetic waves is directly proportional to the acceleration of the charged particles. This means that the higher the acceleration, the higher the frequency of the emitted waves. This relationship is described by the equation f = qE/2πm, where f is the frequency, q is the charge of the particle, E is the acceleration, and m is the mass of the particle.

3. Can any type of charged particle emit EM waves?

Yes, any type of charged particle can emit electromagnetic waves as long as it is accelerating. This includes both positive and negative charges, as well as particles of different masses. However, the magnitude of the emission may vary depending on the properties of the particle.

4. What are some examples of natural phenomena that involve accelerating charged particles emitting EM waves?

Some examples of natural phenomena that involve accelerating charged particles emitting electromagnetic waves include lightning strikes, auroras, and radio emissions from stars and other celestial bodies. Man-made examples include X-rays emitted from electron beams in medical imaging and radio waves emitted from antennas in communication devices.

5. How is the emission of EM waves from accelerated charged particles utilized in technology?

The emission of electromagnetic waves from accelerated charged particles is utilized in a wide range of technologies, including communication devices, medical imaging, and particle accelerators. These waves are used to transmit information, create images, and study the properties of particles. They are also used in energy production, such as in nuclear power plants where accelerated charged particles are used to create heat and electricity.