Acceleration after applying a force

In summary, when you throw a ball with a force ##F=ma##, the instant it leaves your hand, it will have the same acceleration ##a## added to it from ambient forces such as air resistance and gravity. However, once the ball leaves your hand, your hand no longer exerts a force on it, so the acceleration will no longer be conserved. As for whether you give the object acceleration or velocity when you make it move, it is technically both. You give it a velocity by causing a displacement, but this displacement also leads to acceleration due to a net force acting on the object.
archaic
Hello,
1) Suppose I throw a ball with a force ##F=ma##, the instant it leaves my hand, does it have the same acceleration ##a## added to it accelerations due to "ambient" forces (air resistance, gravity..)?
2) If I am right about 1), doesn't my hand already carry the acceleration/deceleration due to those forces? So why isn't it only ##a##?
3) Generally, when I make something move, do I give it acceleration or velocity? I think velocity since I cause a displacement.

Physics news on Phys.org
archaic said:
Hello,
1) Suppose I throw a ball with a force ##F=ma##, the instant it leaves my hand, does it have the same acceleration ##a## added to it accelerations due to "ambient" forces (air resistance, gravity..)?
While your hand is in contact with the ball you exert some force on it, adding to the net force on the ball, which determines its acceleration. As soon as the ball leaves your hand, your hand no longer exerts a force on it.

Doc Al said:
While your hand is in contact with the ball you exert some force on it, adding to the net force on the ball, which determines its acceleration. As soon as the ball leaves your hand, your hand no longer exerts a force on it.
Yes, but the moment it leaves my hand does it conserve that ##a##?

archaic said:
Yes, but the moment it leaves my hand does it conserve that ##a##?
No. Something accelerates only when there's a net force on it. Remove the force and there's no longer an acceleration.

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is the result of a force being applied to an object, causing it to speed up, slow down, or change direction.

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in an object's velocity by the time it takes for that change to occur. This can be represented by the equation a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What is the relationship between acceleration and force?

Acceleration and force are directly proportional to each other. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be. This relationship is described by Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that force equals mass times acceleration (F = ma).

4. How does the direction of a force affect acceleration?

The direction of a force is an important factor in determining the direction of an object's acceleration. If the force is applied in the same direction as the object's motion, it will cause the object to speed up. If the force is applied in the opposite direction, it will cause the object to slow down. If the force is applied at an angle, it will cause the object to change direction.

5. Can acceleration occur without a force?

No, acceleration cannot occur without a force being applied. In order for an object to change its velocity, there must be a force acting on it. This is a fundamental principle of Newton's First Law of Motion, also known as the Law of Inertia.