Apparent Weight problem (falling beam)

In summary, the conversation is about an "apparent weight" problem where a weightless beam with two 2 kg weights on each end is suspended by a rubber band and dropped. The task is to estimate the apparent weight of the weights at the moment when the beam has a velocity of 9.8 m/s and the rubber band exerts a force of 106 Newtons. Through calculations and the introduction of symbols to represent physical quantities, it is determined that the apparent weight of each weight is 53 N, and the total apparent weight of the beam with the weights is 106 N.
Jackolantern
1653840811842.png

Each weight: 2 Kg
Hello All, I'm trying to understand an "apparent weight" problem and check my answer. Please use the picture attached.

A weightless beam is at first resting over my palm, it has one 2 kg weight on each end of it. It is suspended to the ceiling by a rubber band. I drop it and it falls for 1 second. At this instant it is has a velocity of 9.8 m/s and the rubber band is exerting an elastic force on it of 106 Newtons. Now, the task is to estimate the "apparent" weight of the 2 kg weights on the beam in this instant as felt by the beam.

-First, I calculate the vertical acceleration induced by the force of the rubber band on the beam:

With a free body diagram of the beam, the only forces acting on it are the weights and the force from the rubber band

Each weight has a force of 19.62 N ( 2 kg * 9.81).
(F)sum = m * a

106 - 2*(19.62) = 4 kg * a
a = 16.69 m/s^2

The apparent weight of an object is its mass multiplied by the vector difference between the gravitational acceleration and the acceleration of the object.

F = m * a

F = 2 kg * (9.81 + 16.669) = 53 N

So, my question is, at the 2nd instant illustrated by my photo above, the apparent weight of each of the weights on the end of the beam is 53 N?
This is just half of the rubber band force...for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Each mass has apparent weight 53 N so the total apparent weight of the beam with the masses is 106 N as expected.

Note that some things will often be clearer if you introduce symbols to represent physical quantities and only insert measured values at the very end. In your case, you could introduce the following:

F = 106 N
m = 2 kg
g = 9.1 m/s^2
a = acceleration of the masses
W = apparent weight of one mass

Your algebra would have become:

Force relation to acceleration:
$$
F - 2mg = 2ma \quad \Longrightarrow \quad a = \frac{F}{2m} - g
$$

Apparent weight of one mass:
$$
W = m(a+g) = \frac{F}{2}.
$$

It is then clear that the apparent weight of each mass is exactly half of the tension in the rubber band and that the masses and the acceleration and gravitational acceleration do not really matter for the result.

Likes Lnewqban and Jackolantern
Orodruin said:
Each mass has apparent weight 53 N so the total apparent weight of the beam with the masses is 106 N as expected.

Note that some things will often be clearer if you introduce symbols to represent physical quantities and only insert measured values at the very end. In your case, you could introduce the following:

F = 106 N
m = 2 kg
g = 9.1 m/s^2
a = acceleration of the masses
W = apparent weight of one mass

Your algebra would have become:

Force relation to acceleration:
$$
F - 2mg = 2ma \quad \Longrightarrow \quad a = \frac{F}{2m} - g
$$

Apparent weight of one mass:
$$
W = m(a+g) = \frac{F}{2}.
$$

It is then clear that the apparent weight of each mass is exactly half of the tension in the rubber band and that the masses and the acceleration and gravitational acceleration do not really matter for the result.
That's much more clear to me now, thank you Orodruin.

Likes Lnewqban and berkeman

What is the apparent weight problem?

The apparent weight problem refers to the situation where an object appears to have a different weight than its actual weight due to external forces acting on it.

What causes the apparent weight problem in a falling beam?

The apparent weight problem in a falling beam is caused by the acceleration of the beam due to gravity. As the beam falls, it experiences a downward force from the gravitational pull, which causes its weight to appear greater than its actual weight.

How does the apparent weight change during the fall of a beam?

As the beam falls, its apparent weight increases due to the acceleration of gravity. This is because the downward force of gravity adds to the weight of the beam, making it appear heavier.

What are some factors that can affect the apparent weight of a falling beam?

The apparent weight of a falling beam can be affected by the mass of the beam, the acceleration of gravity, and any external forces acting on the beam, such as air resistance or friction.

How can we calculate the apparent weight of a falling beam?

The apparent weight of a falling beam can be calculated using the equation W = mg + ma, where W is the apparent weight, m is the mass of the beam, g is the acceleration of gravity, and a is the acceleration of the beam due to external forces.