Acceleration for Position-time graphs

In summary: In the first graph, the slope is getting steeper, so the acceleration is getting more and more negative.In the second graph, the slope is getting less steep, so the acceleration is getting more and more positive.@mathmanThe second derivative of y=-x2 is negative, and the second derivative of y=x2 is positive. So the second derivative of the first graph is negative, and the second derivative of the second graph is positive.
Physics news on Phys.org
Yodaa said:
1. http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Class/1DKin/U1L3a16.gif
2. http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Class/1DKin/U1L3a17.GIF

In the first graph, I get that that the slope is negative and that the object is speeding up
And in the second graph, the slope is negative and the object is slowing down
But I'm unable to understand why the first graph has negative acceleration while the second one has positive acceleration?

Your question reversed the graphs?
In the first graph, the slope is getting steeper, speed up.
In the second graph, slope is getting less steep, slowing down.

berkeman said:
Acceleration is the second derivative of the position versus time... :smile:
@berkeman I am sorry i don't understand how that relates to negative acceleration for the first and positive acceleration for the second:oldconfused:

mathman said:
Your question reversed the graphs?
In the first graph, the slope is getting steeper, speed up.
In the second graph, slope is getting less steep, slowing down.

@mathman that is exactly what i mentioned above...

Yodaa said:
@berkeman I am sorry i don't understand how that relates to negative acceleration for the first and positive acceleration for the second:oldconfused:

Do you understand the difference between the 2nd derivative of y=x2 and y=-x2?

Plot each of those two functions, and look at the nature of the curvature. One is curving UP, while the other is curving DOWN. So which one will give you a positive second derivative, and which one will give you a negative second derivative?

Zz.

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. In simple terms, acceleration is how fast an object's speed is changing.

2. How is acceleration represented on a position-time graph?

Acceleration is represented by the slope of the velocity-time graph. This means that the steeper the slope of the line on a position-time graph, the higher the acceleration of the object.

3. What does a straight line on a position-time graph indicate about acceleration?

A straight line on a position-time graph indicates a constant acceleration. This means that the object is changing its velocity at a constant rate over time.

4. How can you calculate acceleration from a position-time graph?

To calculate acceleration from a position-time graph, you can use the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is the time interval. You can also find acceleration by calculating the slope of the line on the graph.

5. What are some real-life examples of acceleration shown on a position-time graph?

Some real-life examples of acceleration shown on a position-time graph include a car accelerating from a stop sign, a rollercoaster going up a steep incline, and a person jumping off a diving board into a pool. In all of these cases, the slope of the line on the graph would be steep, indicating a high acceleration.