Position vs. time graph and the derivative

In summary, when studying the motion of an object, a position vs. time graph can be used to show how the position changes over time. The slope of this graph at any time represents the instantaneous velocity of the object. In two or three dimensions, velocity can be described as a vector quantity with components in different directions, and can be represented by separate plots for each component. However, it is important to not only think of derivatives as slopes, but also as the rate of change of one variable with respect to another.
beasteye
So let's assume an object moves along a straight line relative to some fixed origin. Clearly we can study this motion with the help of a position vs. time graph which shows how the position varies as time goes on. Now, as far as I understand, the slope of this graph at any time t gives the instantaneous velocity of the object, because it measures the change in position over time.

Now, the thing that I don't quite understand is,how would such a graph look like if the object were to move in two or three dimensions? Assuming it now moves in space, it could still be moving along a straight line, but what if it started moving in some other direction, how do the new velocities look like on a position vs. time graph? There seems to be a gap in my understanding at this point and I can't quite connect how the slope of a position vs. time graph would represent the change in velocity.
I hope I stated my concerns clearly and I'm looking forward to any sharing of thoughts on this matter.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Position in space is a vector quantity in the sense that it classically has three components, ##\vec{x} = (x,y,z)##. Velocity is the same way in that
[tex]\vec{V} = (u,v,w) = \left( \dfrac{dx}{dt},\dfrac{dy}{dt},\dfrac{dz}{dt} \right).[/tex]
In essence, you need three plots.

I'd also caution you against thinking of derivatives purely as the slopes of graphs. While it's true that a derivative represents the slope of a graph of one of the variables against the other, it's better to think of them as the rate of change of one variable with respect to another. For instance, ##u = dx/dt## is the rate of change of ##x## with respect to ##t##.

Likes beasteye
beasteye said:
how would such a graph look like if the object were to move in two or three dimensions?
You simply take components of velocity along the two or three axes and write separate kinematic equations for them. To find the resultant velocity, simply add the components (vectorially). Look up projectile motion for instance.

Likes beasteye
boneh3ad said:
Position in space is a vector quantity in the sense that it classically has three components, ##\vec{x} = (x,y,z)##. Velocity is the same way in that
[tex]\vec{V} = (u,v,w) = \left( \dfrac{dx}{dt},\dfrac{dy}{dt},\dfrac{dz}{dt} \right).[/tex]
In essence, you need three plots.

I'd also caution you against thinking of derivatives purely as the slopes of graphs. While it's true that a derivative represents the slope of a graph of one of the variables against the other, it's better to think of them as the rate of change of one variable with respect to another. For instance, ##u = dx/dt## is the rate of change of ##x## with respect to ##t##.
Thank you for your answer, this totally makes sense because considering each component separately I can understand it in the same manner as in one dimension.
Yes you are right on the understanding of the derivative, I was just considering the geometric interpretation of it :)

cnh1995 said:
You simply take components of velocity along the two or three axes and write separate kinematic equations for them. To find the resultant velocity, simply add the components (vectorially). Look up projectile motion for instance.
Yes, thank you very much, it all makes more sense now :)

beasteye said:
how would such a graph look like if the object were to move in two or three dimensions?
Consider an object moving in two dimensions in regular circular motion. If you "plot" that using something like a 3D printer with time as the third dimension then you would wind up with a helix.

In principle you can do the same thing with 3D motion, but 4D printers and 4D paper are hard to find!

1. What is a position vs. time graph?

A position vs. time graph is a graphical representation of an object's position at different points in time. It typically shows the vertical position on the y-axis and time on the x-axis.

2. How is the slope of a position vs. time graph related to velocity?

The slope of a position vs. time graph is equal to the velocity of the object. A steeper slope indicates a higher velocity, while a flatter slope represents a lower velocity. The direction of the slope also indicates the direction of the object's motion.

3. What is the derivative of a position vs. time graph?

The derivative of a position vs. time graph is the instantaneous rate of change, or the velocity, at a specific point in time. It is calculated by finding the slope of the tangent line at that point.

4. How can you tell if an object is accelerating from a position vs. time graph?

If an object has a changing slope on a position vs. time graph, it is experiencing acceleration. This means that the object is changing its velocity, either by speeding up or slowing down.

5. What can a position vs. time graph tell us about an object's motion?

A position vs. time graph can tell us information about an object's velocity, acceleration, and displacement. It can also show us if an object is moving at a constant velocity or if it is changing its velocity over time.