Acceleration/gryo ratings for spinning wheel

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to install an accelerometer and gyroscope on a spinning wheel with a diameter of 800mm and a distance of 10-20cm from the center of rotation. It also mentions the need for the devices to handle ground speeds of up to 100km/h. The person is unsure about the necessary ratings for the devices in terms of maximum gs for the accelerometer and degrees per second for the gyroscope. There is also a calculation for the RPM and a question about the acceleration rating. Finally, it is mentioned that measuring the acceleration in the radial direction will give the velocity of the wheel, not its acceleration, and that the acceleration in the angular direction depends on the angular accelerations involved.
chris_
I will need to put an accelerometer and or gyroscope on a spinning wheel. The wheel has a diameter of 800mm, with the device being 10-20cm from the centre of rotation. It will be need to cope with ground speed of up to 100km/h.

I am confused as to what ratings the device/s will need in terms of maximum gs for the accelerometer and dps for the gyroscope.

My current calculation of RPM comes out as around 650, which means I think the gryo would need to be rated at 650/60 * 360 degreees per second. Does that sound right? I'm more confused about the acceleration rating. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Acceleration in radial direction is given by the centripetal/centrifugal force - if you measure this you measure the velocity of the wheel, not its acceleration.
Acceleration in "angular direction" (along a circle) depends on the angular accelerations involved.

Related to Acceleration/gryo ratings for spinning wheel

1. What is acceleration/gyro rating for a spinning wheel?

Acceleration/gyro rating for a spinning wheel is a measure of the speed and rotational movement of the wheel. It is typically measured in revolutions per minute (RPM) or radians per second (rad/s).

2. How is acceleration/gyro rating calculated?

The acceleration/gyro rating is calculated by measuring the angular velocity of the spinning wheel using a gyroscope or accelerometer. The data is then converted into RPM or rad/s to determine the acceleration/gyro rating.

3. What factors affect the acceleration/gyro rating of a spinning wheel?

The acceleration/gyro rating of a spinning wheel is affected by the mass, shape, and speed of the wheel. The type and quality of the bearings and the surface on which the wheel is spinning can also impact the rating.

4. Why is acceleration/gyro rating important for a spinning wheel?

The acceleration/gyro rating is important for a spinning wheel because it determines its stability and maneuverability. A higher rating indicates a faster and smoother rotation, making the wheel more responsive and easier to control.

5. How can the acceleration/gyro rating be improved?

The acceleration/gyro rating of a spinning wheel can be improved by reducing the weight of the wheel, using high-quality bearings, and selecting a smooth and flat surface for spinning. Regular maintenance and lubrication can also help maintain a high rating.