Acceleration of a golf club hitting a ball

In summary: I think it is possible to apply a torque through impact, which it may not be due to the flexibility of the shaft.
Mike10724
What will be the difference in distance of the ball if it is hit by a club traveling 120 mph at impact (constant velocity) versus a ball hit by a club traveling at 120 mph but accelerating at the point of initial impact?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mike10724 said:
What will be the difference in distance of the ball if it is hit by a club traveling 120 mph at impact (constant velocity) versus a ball hit by a club traveling at 120 mph but accelerating at the point of initial impact?
Excellent question. I see where you're headed with this. Of course then next question is "what is the contact time between the club head and the ball during impact?"

Likes russ_watters
I think it is around 0.5 milliseconds. It must be the rate of acceleration that influences distance more than velocity, but I would be interested to see a practical example. Maybe on a robotic swing machine.

Mike10724 said:
I think it is around 0.5 milliseconds. It must be the rate of acceleration that influences distance more than velocity, but I would be interested to see a practical example. Maybe on a robotic swing machine.
How much could the ball velocity possibly change over 0.5 milliseconds between a club head traveling at constant velocity and a club heat that is accelerating? What kind of acceleration could the club head realistically have (just prior to making contact) in order for the impact to substantially change?

Mike10724 said:
...club traveling at 120 mph but accelerating at the point of initial impact...
Accelerating how much, and in which diraction? Note that in real life the club is accelerated opposite to its motion during the impact, so it slows down.

If the club accelerates in the direction of the velocity, contact time will be increased. This will result in a greater impulse and higher resulting velocity for the ball.

A.T. said:
Accelerating how much, and in which diraction? Note that in real life the club is accelerated opposite to its motion during the impact, so it slows down.
While that's true in net, if you're applying a constant torque through impact, the deceleration is lower by whatever that acceleration was...

...If it is possible to apply a torque through impact, which it may not be due to the flexibility of the shaft.

@Mike10724 hopefully you are getting that acceleration is not transferred to the ball, speed (actually, momentum and energy) is. So only the change in speed during the impact will affect the flight, not the acceleration itself.

Ahh, golf questions - the first sign of springtime!

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object changes its velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. In the case of a golf club hitting a ball, acceleration refers to the increase in the club's velocity as it makes contact with the ball.

How is acceleration related to force?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, force is directly proportional to acceleration. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be. In the case of a golf club hitting a ball, the force of the club on the ball will determine the acceleration of the ball.

What factors affect the acceleration of a golf club hitting a ball?

There are several factors that can affect the acceleration of a golf club hitting a ball. These include the mass of the ball, the mass of the club, the speed of the club before impact, the angle of the club face, and the material and design of the club.

How can acceleration be calculated for a golf club hitting a ball?

To calculate the acceleration of a golf club hitting a ball, you will need to know the force applied to the ball, as well as the mass of the ball and the acceleration due to gravity. Using Newton's Second Law of Motion (F=ma), you can use these values to find the acceleration of the ball.

Why is understanding acceleration important in golf?

Understanding acceleration in golf is important because it can help players improve their swing and increase the distance and accuracy of their shots. By understanding the factors that affect acceleration, players can make adjustments to their swing and equipment to optimize their performance on the course.