Acceleration of golf club hitting a ball

In summary, Ben Hogan said that if the club head is still accelerating after it has struck the golf ball, the result is a straighter shot on line to the target.
Jgolf
The great Ben Hogan said he learned from a physics book when he was on the PGA Tour that if the golf club head is still accelerating AFTER it has struck the golf ball, the result is a straighter shot on line to the target. I can't find any examples of what he is talking about in the physics books I've looked at...any help is appreciated...I'm not a physics major. Thank you, John

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

It is tough to know exactly what he is referring to, but there are a couple of possibilities:
1. The way we coordinate our movements affects the timing and alignment of the impact (duh, but I'll explain...). A smooth, continuous motion is simpler to achieve than one that changes over time. As a result, smooth, continuous acceleration that you stop only after you've made contact produces the best results. To be clear, though, the acceleration of the club-head isn't exactly constant, it is the various rotations (hips, shoulders, wrists) that should each be smooth - but they combine to produce a more complicated pattern of motion.

2. The shaft of the club is elastic. As you swing, it stores and releases elastic energy, which also accelerates the club. However, it was my understanding that you want the club back at straight (moving through straight) when you make contact, and as it passes straight, the additional force from the elasticity drops to zero. So I'm not certain how that could relate.

Russ, many thanks, a Golf pro who played on the LPGA Tour that Hogan mentored said he passed it along to her and also in one of his golf books he stated that maximum club head speed occurs right after impact, not during impact...I know that when the club head hits the ball there is, I think, some slowing down of the acceleration, or at least that's what I recall reading somewhere...that's why I'm trying to get some scientific clarification, etc...again, Thanks, John

Jgolf said:
maximum club head speed occurs right after impact, not during impact
There is lots of slow motion footage of the impact on the net, that could be used to check this. But it's usually under lab conditions, so it might not be executed as suggested by Hogan.

From physics standpoint: If the head doesn't slow down at impact, the contact time is longer so more momentum is transferred to the ball.

A.T. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out...John

1. What is the relationship between the mass of a golf club and the acceleration of a ball?

The mass of a golf club does not directly affect the acceleration of a ball. The acceleration of the ball depends on the force applied to the club and the mass of the ball. However, a heavier club may generate more force, resulting in a higher acceleration of the ball.

2. How does the speed of the club head affect the acceleration of the ball?

The speed of the club head is a key factor in determining the acceleration of the ball. The faster the club head is moving, the more force it will generate on the ball, resulting in a higher acceleration.

3. Does the angle of impact between the club and the ball affect the acceleration of the ball?

Yes, the angle of impact can greatly affect the acceleration of the ball. A club that strikes the ball at a lower angle will have a lower acceleration, while a club that strikes the ball at a higher angle will have a higher acceleration. This is because the angle of impact determines the direction of the force applied to the ball.

4. How does the type of club (driver, iron, putter) affect the acceleration of the ball?

The type of club can affect the acceleration of the ball in several ways. A driver, with its longer shaft and larger club head, can generate more force and therefore result in a higher acceleration. An iron, with a smaller club head and shorter shaft, may generate less force and result in a lower acceleration. A putter, designed for short distances, may have a lower acceleration compared to a driver or iron.

5. Does the material of the club affect the acceleration of the ball?

The material of the club can have an impact on the acceleration of the ball. A club made of a lighter material, such as graphite, may allow for a faster club head speed, resulting in a higher acceleration of the ball. However, the design and construction of the club also play a significant role in determining the acceleration, so the material alone may not be the only factor affecting the acceleration of the ball.