Acceleration of a spring - mass system

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving four masses connected by springs and a pulley. The question asks whether all the masses will have the same acceleration, if the initial extension of the springs should be assumed to be the same, and if the extension of the springs will change after the string is cut. The conversation also includes an attempt to draw a free body diagram and set up equations using Newton's Second Law, but it is unclear how to proceed due to the number of unknown variables and the inextensible nature of the string. The expert suggests considering the relationship between the accelerations of the two ends of the string and understanding the implications of the string being inextensible.
songoku
Homework Statement
The diagram given below.

Find the acceleration of each mass when the string connecting ##m_4## to the ground is cut.
You can assume that the system is at equilibrium before the string is cut, the string is massless and inextensible, the springs are massless, the pulley is smooth and massless.
Relevant Equations
Newton 2nd law
abc.png

m1 = top left
m2 = bottom left
m3 = top right
m4 = bottom right

My questions:
1. Will all the object (m1, m2, m3,and m4) have same acceleration?

2. Should I assume initial extension of both spring is the same? (only based on the picture)

3. Will the extension of the spring change after the string is cut?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
BvU said:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/homework-help-guidelines-for-students-and-helpers.686781/

Your attempt is appreciated (and required according to the guidelines): what do you think ?
I have tried to draw free body diagram for each object when they are in equilibrium.

For m1, there are tension upwards, weight downwards and spring force downwards

For m2, there are tension upwards and weight downwards

For m3, there are tension upwards, weight downwards and spring force downwards

For m4, there are tension downwards, weight downwards and spring force upwards

After the string is cut, I tried to set up equation of Newton 2nd law but not sure about all the things I asked in post#1

I do not know whether the acceleration of all the masses will be the same or not. Maybe the acceleration can be the same because they all move as one system but I also think the acceleration can be different if somehow the extension of the spring changes during the motion, so I can't proceed.

How to know whether the extension will change or not during the motion?

Thanks

songoku said:
I do not know whether the acceleration of all the masses will be the same or not.
Then assume not. If they are, the equations will lead to that.

Likes songoku
ΣF1 = k.x1 + m1.g - T
m1.a1 = k.x1 + m1.g - T ...(1)

ΣF2 = m2.g- k.x1
m2.a2 = m2.g- k.x1 ... (2)

ΣF3 = T - k.x2 - m3.g
m3.a3 = T - k.x2 - m3.g ...(3)

ΣF4 = k.x2 - m4.g
m4.a4 = k.x2 - m4.g ... (4)

Then how to continue? Thanks

Count the number of unknowns to check if you miss an equation ...

And: what is ##T, x_1, ## etc ?
Do you describe equilibrium, or the situation after the wire is cut ?

Likes songoku
songoku said:
how to continue?
"string is massless and inextensible"

Likes songoku
songoku said:
ΣF1 = k.x1 + m1.g - T
m1.a1 = k.x1 + m1.g - T ...(1)

ΣF2 = m2.g- k.x1
m2.a2 = m2.g- k.x1 ... (2)

ΣF3 = T - k.x2 - m3.g
m3.a3 = T - k.x2 - m3.g ...(3)

ΣF4 = k.x2 - m4.g
m4.a4 = k.x2 - m4.g ... (4)

Then how to continue? Thanks
The amount the spring on the left is stretched depends on both ##x_1## and ##x_2##. Same issue with the spring on the right. Your equations don't reflect this.

Likes songoku
BvU said:
Count the number of unknowns to check if you miss an equation ...
I have 7 unknowns (a1, a2, a3, a4, T, x1, x2) and 4 equations so I am missing 3 equations and I do not know what those 3 equations are

And: what is ##T, x_1, ## etc ?
T = tension on string connecting m1 and pulley = tension on string connecting m3 and pulley

x1 = extension of spring connecting m1 and m2

x2 = extension of spring connecting m3 and m4

Do you describe equilibrium, or the situation after the wire is cut ?
I describe the situation after the wire connecting m4 and ground is cut.

I assume at equilibrium, both spring are extended by same amount so the springs produce equal forces on all the masses (let say k.x, where x is extension of both spring when the system is in equilibrium)

After the wire is cut, I assume the extension of both springs is not the same so on left spring is x1 and right spring is x2

haruspex said:
"string is massless and inextensible"
Sorry I don't understand the hint. What I can do about "string is massless and inextensible" is assigning same value of tension on string on left and right side of the pulley but I don't think this is what you mean

vela said:
The amount the spring on the left is stretched depends on both ##x_1## and ##x_2##. Same issue with the spring on the right. Your equations don't reflect this.
I don't even realize this, that the amount the spring on the left is stretched depends on both ##x_1## and ##x_2## :redface:

I can say I don't understand how the system will move. This is what I thought at first:

m3 and m4 will move upwards and because I don't understand whether they will move with same acceleration or not, I assume they don't. The right spring will have less extension compared to when the system is equilibrium so the extension of spring changes from x to x2, where x > x2 (don't understand why, just pure guessing).

m1 and m2 will move downwards and because I don't understand whether they will move with same acceleration or not, I assume they don't. The left spring will have more extension compared to when the system is equilibrium so the extension of spring changes from x to x1, where x < x1 (again, just pure guessing)

Based on vela's hint, it is obvious that my thinking is wrong. The extension of right spring does not change from x to x2 and extension of left spring does not changes from x to x1 but I don't know how to relate the extension to both x1 and x2

Thanks

songoku said:
What I can do about "string is massless and inextensible" is assigning same value of tension on string on left and right side of the pulley but I don't think this is what you mean
If it is inextensible, what is the relationship between the acceleration of one end and the acceleration of the other end?

Likes songoku
haruspex said:
If it is inextensible, what is the relationship between the acceleration of one end and the acceleration of the other end?
Oh, the acceleration should be the same so a1 = a3

What will be the next step? What should I understand to continue? Thanks

songoku said:
What will be the next step? What should I understand to continue? Thanks
We are only concerned with the instant after the string is cut. What will be the extensions at that time?

Likes songoku
haruspex said:
We are only concerned with the instant after the string is cut. What will be the extensions at that time?
Will be the same as initial extension of the spring when at equilibrium?

When at equilibrium, how will the extension of the spring be? I am trying to understand the direction of the restoring force. Let say I consider the spring on the right, is the extension of the spring is both upwards and downwards (I mean m4 will cause downwards extension and m3 causes upwards extension) so the restoring force on m4 will be upwards and on m3 will be downwards?

Thanks

songoku said:
Will be the same as initial extension of the spring when at equilibrium?

When at equilibrium, how will the extension of the spring be? I am trying to understand the direction of the restoring force. Let say I consider the spring on the right, is the extension of the spring is both upwards and downwards (I mean m4 will cause downwards extension and m3 causes upwards extension) so the restoring force on m4 will be upwards and on m3 will be downwards?

Thanks
Extension is how much longer the spring is than when it is relaxed. There is no separate upwards and downwards. Likewise, it exerts the same pull at each end.

Last edited:
Likes songoku
haruspex said:
Extension is how much longer the spring is than when it is relaxed. There is no separate upwards and downwards. Likewise, it exerts the same pull at each end.
So the extension of the spring at the instant when the wire is cut is the same as the extension of the spring when at equilibrium? I think from vela's hint there will be change in the extension, or maybe I am misinterpreting something?

Thanks

songoku said:
the extension of the spring at the instant when the wire is cut is the same as the extension of the spring when at equilibrium?
Yes. It can't change instantly.
songoku said:
vela's hint
@vela seems to have assumed your x variables refer to the heights of masses.
You didn't define them, but I assume they are the spring extensions.

Likes songoku
haruspex said:
Yes. It can't change instantly.

Ok, I think I am missing one more equation. Maybe equation relating a1 to a2 or a3 to a4? Will a1 be the same as a2 because at the instant the wire is cut, m1, the left spring and m2 will move downwards as one system and also the extension of the spring has not changed?

Thanks

songoku said:
I think I am missing one more equation.
How so?
You know the tensions in the springs now. That leaves four accelerations (but two are the same), and the tension in the string. You have four equations. Solve.

Likes songoku
haruspex said:
How so?
You know the tensions in the springs now. That leaves four accelerations (but two are the same), and the tension in the string. You have four equations. Solve.
At equilibrium position:
1. for object m1
∑F = 0
T = m1.g + kx (where T = tension on string connecting m1 and pulley = tension on string connecting m3 and pulley and x is extension of the sping)

2. for object m2
∑F = 0
kx = m2.g

3. for object m3
∑F = 0
T = m3.g + kx

4. for object m4
∑F = 0
kx = m4.g + Ts (where Ts is the tension on string connecting m4 to ground)After string connecting m4 to ground is cut:
1. for object m1
∑F1 = m1 . a1
k.x + m1.g - T' = m1 . a1 → I think the magnitude of T will change after Ts is cut because if not, m1 won't have acceleration so I use T' to denote the magnitude of the tension connecting m1 and pulley when m1 is accelerating. Am I correct?

2. for object m2
∑F2 = m2 . a2
m2 . g - kx = m2 . a2 → because m2 . g = kx so a2 = 0?

3. for object m3
∑F3 = m3 . a1
T' - kx - m3.g = m3 . a1

4. for object m4
∑F4 = m4 . a4
kx - m4.g = m4 . a4

Am I correct until this part?

Thanks

haruspex said:
Yes, I did. Sorry. Carry on!

Likes songoku
vela said:
Yes, I did. Sorry. Carry on!
It was on me because I didn't define the variables :sorry:

Likes BvU
songoku said:
At equilibrium position:
Counting variables is still a problem: you need to distinguish ##x_1## and ##x_2##. The picture shows both springs have the same ##k##.
"Knowns" ##\qquad m_1, m_2, m_3, m_4, k##
Unknowns ## \qquad T, T_s, x_1, x_2##
4 equations, so now the unknowns are determined. In particular ##T_s##
songoku said:
After string connecting ##m_4## to ground is cut:
Counting variables is now a big problem: You can't make do with ##x_1## and ##x_2## any more: there are 4 masses and three accelerations, so you'll need to re-think the kx

My suggestion: have four ##x## (well defined) and four ##a## and try to find 8 equations (##a_1 = -a_3 ## being one of them)

It might also help if you first do the exercise with ## m_2 = m_4 = 0 ## :nb) .

--------[edit: added:]---------

songoku said:
I think the magnitude of T will change after Ts is cut because if not, m1 won't have acceleration so I use T' to denote the magnitude of the tension connecting m1 and pulley when m1 is accelerating. Am I correct?
Yes.

Likes songoku
BvU said:
[after string is cut]
Counting variables is now a big problem: You can't make do with ##x_1## and ##x_2## any more:
But those have not changed. The only unknowns are the tension in the string and three accelerations.

Likes BvU
My mistake --

Likes songoku
songoku said:
At equilibrium position:
1. for object m1
∑F = 0
T = m1.g + kx (where T = tension on string connecting m1 and pulley = tension on string connecting m3 and pulley and x is extension of the sping)

2. for object m2
∑F = 0
kx = m2.g

3. for object m3
∑F = 0
T = m3.g + kx

4. for object m4
∑F = 0
kx = m4.g + Ts (where Ts is the tension on string connecting m4 to ground)After string connecting m4 to ground is cut:
1. for object m1
∑F1 = m1 . a1
k.x + m1.g - T' = m1 . a1 → I think the magnitude of T will change after Ts is cut because if not, m1 won't have acceleration so I use T' to denote the magnitude of the tension connecting m1 and pulley when m1 is accelerating. Am I correct?

2. for object m2
∑F2 = m2 . a2
m2 . g - kx = m2 . a2 → because m2 . g = kx so a2 = 0?

3. for object m3
∑F3 = m3 . a1
T' - kx - m3.g = m3 . a1

4. for object m4
∑F4 = m4 . a4
kx - m4.g = m4 . a4

Am I correct until this part?

Thanks
Is my working correct? Acceleration of object 2 is zero?

Thanks

songoku said:
Is my working correct? Acceleration of object 2 is zero?

Thanks
Yes, but you seem to have overlooked @BvU 's advice:
BvU said:
you need to distinguish x1 and x2.

Last edited:
Likes songoku
haruspex said:
Yes, but you seem to have overlooked @BvU 's advice:
Let me redo:

At equilibrium position:
1. for object m1
∑F = 0
T = m1.g + kx1 ...(i) (where T = tension on string connecting m1 and pulley = tension on string connecting m3 and pulley and x is extension of the left sping)

2. for object m2
∑F = 0
kx1 = m2.g ... (ii)

3. for object m3
∑F = 0
T = m3.g + kx2...(iii) (where x2 is the extension of the right spring)

4. for object m4
∑F = 0
kx2 = m4.g + Ts ...(iv) (where Ts is the tension on string connecting m4 to ground)

From (i) and (ii): T = m1.g + m2.g ...(v)

From (v) and (iii):
m1.g + m2.g = m3.g + kx2
kx2 = m1.g + m2.g - m3.g ... (vi)After string connecting m4 to ground is cut:
1. for object m1
∑F1 = m1 . a1
k.x1 + m1.g - T' = m1 . a1, where T' is the tension of string after Ts is cut
m2.g + m1.g - T' = m1 . a1
T' = m2.g + m1.g - m1 . a1 ... (vii)

2. for object m2
∑F2 = m2 . a2
m2 . g - kx1 = m2 . a2
a2 = 0

3. for object m3
∑F3 = m3 . a1
T' - kx2 - m3.g = m3 . a1 ... (viii)

From (vi), (vii) and (viii):
m2.g + m1.g - m1 . a1 - m1.g - m2.g + m3.g - m3.g = m3 . a1
a1 = 0?

Thanks

songoku said:
Let me redo:

At equilibrium position:
1. for object m1
∑F = 0
T = m1.g + kx1 ...(i) (where T = tension on string connecting m1 and pulley = tension on string connecting m3 and pulley and x is extension of the left sping)

2. for object m2
∑F = 0
kx1 = m2.g ... (ii)

3. for object m3
∑F = 0
T = m3.g + kx2...(iii) (where x2 is the extension of the right spring)

4. for object m4
∑F = 0
kx2 = m4.g + Ts ...(iv) (where Ts is the tension on string connecting m4 to ground)

From (i) and (ii): T = m1.g + m2.g ...(v)

From (v) and (iii):
m1.g + m2.g = m3.g + kx2
kx2 = m1.g + m2.g - m3.g ... (vi)After string connecting m4 to ground is cut:
1. for object m1
∑F1 = m1 . a1
k.x1 + m1.g - T' = m1 . a1, where T' is the tension of string after Ts is cut
m2.g + m1.g - T' = m1 . a1
T' = m2.g + m1.g - m1 . a1 ... (vii)

2. for object m2
∑F2 = m2 . a2
m2 . g - kx1 = m2 . a2
a2 = 0

3. for object m3
∑F3 = m3 . a1
T' - kx2 - m3.g = m3 . a1 ... (viii)

From (vi), (vii) and (viii):
m2.g + m1.g - m1 . a1 - m1.g - m2.g + m3.g - m3.g = m3 . a1
a1 = 0?

Thanks
Right so far. What about m4's acceleration?

Likes songoku
haruspex said:
Right so far. What about m4's acceleration?
For object m4:
k.x2 - m4.g = m4 . a4
m1.g + m2.g - m3.g - m4.g = m4. a4
a4 = (m1.g + m2.g - m3.g - m4.g) / m4

Only object 4 is accelerating, while object 1, object 2 and object 3 move with constant speed?

Thanks

songoku said:
For object m4:
k.x2 - m4.g = m4 . a4
m1.g + m2.g - m3.g - m4.g = m4. a4
a4 = (m1.g + m2.g - m3.g - m4.g) / m4

Only object 4 is accelerating, while object 1, object 2 and object 3 move with constant speed?

Thanks
Yes, but what "constant speed"?

Likes songoku
haruspex said:
Yes, but what "constant speed"?
hhmm... I think the value of the speed will be zero because initially object 1 to 3 does not move and no acceleration means that no resultant force acting on it.

So, at the instant the wire is cut, only object 4 will move?

Thanks

songoku said:
hhmm... I think the value of the speed will be zero because initially object 1 to 3 does not move and no acceleration means that no resultant force acting on it.

So, at the instant the wire is cut, only object 4 will move?

Thanks
Yes.

Likes songoku
haruspex said:
Yes.
What if I modify the question a little bit, find the acceleration 2 seconds after the wire is cut?

This is what I have in my mind:
The m4 will push the right spring so the new extension (x3) will be less than x2 and all the other masses will move.

The extension on left spring does not change (still x1) because the left spring, m1 and m2 will move as one system so the acceleration of m1 and m2 will be the same.

This means that the left spring will behave just like an inelastic string.

The magnitude of a1, a2 and a3 will always be the same but all the acceleration, including a4 won't be constant because there is continuous change in the extension of right spring, therefore there is continuous change in restoring force and there is continuous change in resultant force.

Am I correct?

If yes, how to set up equation of m4 to account for continuous change in acceleration?

Thanks

songoku said:
What if I modify the question a little bit, find the acceleration 2 seconds after the wire is cut?
Then you will need to have unknowns for the positions of three of the four masses independently (m1 and m3 will have a fixed relationship) and write the differential equations relating them. It is safe to assume there will be SHM involved, but it might be quite complicated.

Likes songoku
haruspex said:
Then you will need to have unknowns for the positions of three of the four masses independently (m1 and m3 will have a fixed relationship) and write the differential equations relating them. It is safe to assume there will be SHM involved, but it might be quite complicated.
Ok then I will leave it for now

Thank you very much for all the help BvU, haruspex, vela

Likes BvU

1. What is a spring-mass system?

A spring-mass system is a physical system that consists of a mass attached to a spring. When the system is disturbed from its equilibrium position, the spring exerts a restoring force on the mass, causing it to oscillate around the equilibrium point.

2. How is acceleration calculated in a spring-mass system?

The acceleration of a spring-mass system can be calculated using the equation a = -kx/m, where a is the acceleration, k is the spring constant, x is the displacement from equilibrium, and m is the mass attached to the spring.

3. What factors affect the acceleration of a spring-mass system?

The acceleration of a spring-mass system is affected by the mass of the object attached to the spring, the spring constant, and the displacement from equilibrium. Additionally, external factors such as friction and air resistance can also affect the acceleration of the system.

4. How does the acceleration change as the spring is stretched or compressed?

The acceleration of a spring-mass system is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium. This means that as the spring is stretched or compressed, the acceleration will also increase or decrease accordingly.

5. Can the acceleration of a spring-mass system be negative?

Yes, the acceleration of a spring-mass system can be negative. This occurs when the mass is moving in the opposite direction of the restoring force of the spring. Negative acceleration indicates that the system is slowing down or moving in the opposite direction of the initial displacement.