Acceleration of point of contact

In summary, the experts in the conversation discussed the velocity and acceleration of a sphere undergoing pure rolling on a smooth surface. They explored the relationship between the velocity of the point of contact and the center of mass, as well as the acceleration of the point of contact with respect to the center of mass. They also considered the effects of angular acceleration and the concept of uniform pure rolling. The conversation concluded with a clarification on the acceleration of the point of contact and its relationship to the center of mass.
quawa99
For a sphere undergoing pure rolling on a smooth surface with center of mass having constant velocity,what is the acceleration of point of contact

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps start by asking what is the velocity of the point of contact? Is that constant or changing?

CWatters said:
Perhaps start by asking what is the velocity of the point of contact? Is that constant or changing?

Is'n it stationary?

The velocity of the point of contact during rolling motion is zero.

srijag said:
The velocity of the point of contact during rolling motion is zero.

My question is about its acceleration

Hi quawa99...

If the velocity of the CM is vcm,radius R and the angular speed of the sphere is ω ,then what is the relationship between them considering the sphere is undergoing pure rolling ?

Tanya Sharma said:
Hi quawa99...

If the velocity of the CM is vcm,radius R and the angular speed of the sphere is ω ,then what is the relationship between considering the sphere is undergoing pure rolling ?

The velocity of of CM with respect to the point of contact is given by Vcm=RXw where w is angular velocity of the sphere.

vcm is with respect to the ground frame .

Anyways, now what is the relation between the acceleration of CM and the angular acceleration ?

Tanya Sharma said:
vcm is with respect to the ground frame .

Anyways, now what is the relation between the acceleration of CM and the angular acceleration ?

a=RXangular acceleration

Now ,what is the value of acm in the given problem ?

Tanya Sharma said:
Now ,what is the value of acm in the given problem ?

Its not a problem given in a book
Angular acceleration and linear acceleration of cm in horizontal direction is 0

CWatters said:

I was referring to that question.

Anyway, the point of contact (in fact, all the points on the surface) have acceleration toward the centre of mass of the object. Be it, uniform pure rolling or accelerated pure rolling, the acceleration will be towards the centre of mass.
Also even if there is friction, since there is no slipping between the surfaces, the work done by it will be zero.

srijag said:
Anyway, the point of contact (in fact, all the points on the surface) have acceleration toward the centre of mass of the object. Be it, uniform pure rolling or accelerated pure rolling, the acceleration will be towards the centre of mass.
Also even if there is friction, since there is no slipping between the surfaces, the work done by it will be zero.

Why do all the points on surface have an acceleration towards centre ?I have read that pure rolling is the same thing as pure rotation about point of contact so doesn't that mean acceleration of cm with respect to point of contact is v^2/R ?

Yes. Pure rolling is same as rotation about point of contact.
About the point of contact and the acceleration, mathematically you can derive for any point on the surface. And if you substitute the condition for the pioint of contact, you'll find out that the acceleration of point of contact is towards the centre.

quawa99 said:
Its not a problem given in a book
Angular acceleration and linear acceleration of cm in horizontal direction is 0

Since vcm = constant ,acm = 0 .

apoint of contact = apoint of contact w.r.t CM + acm

So,apoint of contact = ?

You have to derive that. Also, acceleration of centre of mass is zero only in a uniform pure rolling.

Tanya Sharma said:
Since vcm = constant ,acm = 0 .

apoint of contact = apoint of contact w.r.t CM + acm

So,apoint of contact = ?

What is the acceleration of point of contact with respect to cm?

srijag said:
You have to derive that. Also, acceleration of centre of mass is zero only in a uniform pure rolling.

My question is about a uniformly rolling sphere

quawa99 said:
What is the acceleration of point of contact with respect to cm?

apoint of contact w.r.t CM = αR ,where α is the angular acceleration :smile:

Tanya Sharma said:
apoint of contact w.r.t CM = αR ,where α is the angular acceleration :smile:

α is zero in my question

if you consider the horizontal to be the x-axis, then, the point of contact makes an angle 3π/2. Now
a(point of contact)= a(cm)i + a(P,cm)
= a(cm)i + a(P, tangential) -i + a(P, radial)
= a(cm)i - Rα(cm) + R(w^2)
α+ angular acceleration of centre mass.

quawa99 said:
α is zero in my question

So now what is the problem ? You have everything to answer the question .

quawa99 said:
α is zero in my question

according to your equation the point of contact has 0 zero acceleration but then shouldn't that mean if you observe the cm in the frame of point of contact(which is stationary in present situation) it would have a centripetal acceleration of v^2/R as it is undergoing pure rotation about point of contact with angular velocity v/R

a(point of contact) = a(point of contact w.r.t CM) + a(cm)
= a(p, tangential) + a(P, radial) + a(cm) i
Since the rolling is uniform, a(cm) is zero as well as α(cm) i.e; angular acceleration of centre of mass and since a(P, tangential) = Rα(cm), it becomes zero.
Therefore, a(point of contact) = a(P, radial) = R(w^2) j
i is positive x-axis and j is positive y-axis.

Likes 1 person
The equation does NOT show that acceleration is zero. It is Rw^2. Since V=Rw, it is equal to v^2/R

Likes 1 person
srijag said:
The equation does NOT show that acceleration is zero. It is Rw^2. Since V=Rw, it is equal to v^2/R

I said that for Tanya's equation not yours.I think I understood what you said. thanks :)

quawa99..You are mixing up things ...The linear acceleration of the point of contact is zero , but it does have a centripetal acceleration about the CM owing to its rotation about the CM .

Tanya Sharma said:
quawa99..You are mixing up things ...The linear acceleration of the point of contact is zero , but it does have a centripetal acceleration about the CM owing to its rotation about the CM .

Isn't centrepetal acceleration also a type of acceleration?.so when you calculate the acceleration of point of contract shouldn't you think about the centripetal acceleration as well?.I never asked for linear acceleration of the point of contact specifically

quawa99 said:
Isn't centrepetal acceleration also a type of acceleration?.so when you calculate the acceleration of point of contract shouldn't you think about the centripetal acceleration as well?.I never asked for linear acceleration of the point of contact specifically

Yes...centripetal acceleration is part of the total acceleration of the point of contact with respect to the CM .

But your original question is :

quawa99 said:
For a sphere undergoing pure rolling on a smooth surface with center of mass having constant velocity,what is the acceleration of point of contact

It doesn't ask about the total acceleration of the point of contact with respect to the CM . Generally ,if the question asks about the acceleration of the point of contact ,the implicit meaning is to calculate the linear acceleration (horizontal in this case) of the point of contact of the rolling body with respect to the ground frame.

Last edited:
Certainly the original question isn't clear. When I drove my car to the shops today the point of contact certainly went with it and didn't remain in the garage. It had the same velocity and acceleration as the car.

quawa99 said:

You've got different answers because your question isn't clear. What do you mean by "point of contact"? Three possible interpretations and related answers:

1) a virtual point that moves along the surface so as to coincide always with the surface's point that touches the sphere. Its speed is constant, so it's acceleration is zero.

2) the material point of the flat surface that, at a given instant, touches the sphere. It does not move: speed zero, acceleration zero.

3) the material point of the sphere's surface that, at a given instant, touches the flat surface. This is the most interesting case. Its trajectory is an ordinary cycloid, its instantaneous speed is zero, however, its acceleration is the centripetal acceleration it had if the sphere were only rotating (no translation) around the same axis with same angular speed. Can you see why?

--
TRu-TS
Buon vento e cieli sereni

Related to Acceleration of point of contact

1. What is the definition of "acceleration of point of contact"?

The acceleration of point of contact refers to the rate of change of velocity of a point where two objects are in contact with each other. It is a vector quantity that describes the change in the direction and magnitude of the velocity at the point of contact.

2. How is the acceleration of point of contact calculated?

The acceleration of point of contact can be calculated using the formula a = (v2-v1)/t, where a is the acceleration, v2 is the final velocity, v1 is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

3. What factors affect the acceleration of point of contact?

The acceleration of point of contact is affected by the mass, velocity, and angle of collision between the two objects in contact. The surface properties of the objects, such as friction, also play a role in determining the acceleration.

4. How does the acceleration of point of contact relate to Newton's second law of motion?

According to Newton's second law of motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In the case of point of contact, the net force is the force of impact between the two objects, and the mass is the combined mass of the objects. Therefore, the acceleration of point of contact is directly related to the force of impact and inversely related to the combined mass of the objects.

5. What are some real-life examples of acceleration of point of contact?

Some real-life examples of acceleration of point of contact include a ball bouncing off the ground, a car colliding with another car, and a person jumping off a diving board into a pool. In all of these scenarios, there is a change in the velocity of the objects at the point of contact, resulting in acceleration.