Acceleration on an Incline Plane: Solving for Unknowns

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the acceleration of a cyclist coasting down a ramp, with and without accounting for friction. The dimensions of the ramp and gravity are used to calculate the acceleration, and the mass of the cyclist is not needed. The final answer is 1.2 m/s^2 for part a and 0.13 m/s^2 for part b.
HelloMotto

Homework Statement

Starting from rest, a cyclist coasts down the starting ramp at a professional biking track. If the ramp has the minimum legal dimensions(1.5 m high and 12m lomg) find
a) the acceleration of the cyclist ignoring friction

b) the acceleration of the cyclist if all sources of friction yield an effective coefficient of friction = .11

c)time taken to reach the bottom of the ramp, if friction acts as in (b)

Homework Equations

My concern is the part a.
V1= 0
v2= ?
a=?
m=?
d=12m

I can't use Newton's 2nd law to find the a because the mass is not given nor the force.
I looked at all kinematic equation and none of them works as well...so how do i approach solving this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
The mass does not matter here... It may get canceled in the equations itself.
Also try and upload a figure of the problem.

no figure was given in the question

HelloMotto said:

Homework Statement

Starting from rest, a cyclist coasts down the starting ramp at a professional biking track. If the ramp has the minimum legal dimensions(1.5 m high and 12m lomg) find
a) the acceleration of the cyclist ignoring friction

b) the acceleration of the cyclist if all sources of friction yield an effective coefficient of friction = .11

c)time taken to reach the bottom of the ramp, if friction acts as in (b)

Homework Equations

My concern is the part a.
V1= 0
v2= ?
a=?
m=?
d=12m

I can't use Newton's 2nd law to find the a because the mass is not given nor the force.
I looked at all kinematic equation and none of them works as well...so how do i approach solving this problem?

You know the height of the starting point 1.5m and you know the length of the starting ramp 12m and you know the value of gravity. 9.8m/s^2. You should be able to develop what the value of the constant acceleration is on the cycle shouldn't you?

i don't get it...how?

Firstly the dimensions of the ramp give the angle of inclination of the ramp. If the height is [tex]\var H[/tex] and the length of the ramp be [tex]\var L[/tex], then [tex]tan\vartheta=\frac{\var H}{\var L}[/tex]
The particle model can be used here.
Let the mass of the particle be [tex]\var m[/tex]
Then observing the equilibrium perpendicular to the ramp,
[tex]\var N = \var mg cos \vartheta[/tex]
and along the ramp
[tex]mg sin \theta - \mu mg cos\theta = ma[/tex]
[tex]a=g sin \theta - \mu g cos\theta [/tex]

which is independent of [tex]m[/tex]

thank you. is the answer
1.2 m/s^2 for part a and .13m/s^2 in part b?

Related to Acceleration on an Incline Plane: Solving for Unknowns

1. What is an incline plane?

An incline plane is a simple machine that consists of a flat surface that is raised at one end. It is used to reduce the amount of force needed to move an object up or down the plane.

2. How does an incline plane work?

An incline plane works by spreading out the force needed to move an object over a longer distance. This reduces the force required to move the object up or down the incline, making it easier to move.

3. What is the formula for calculating the mechanical advantage of an incline plane?

The mechanical advantage of an incline plane can be calculated by dividing the length of the incline by its height. This is represented by the formula MA = length/height.

4. How is an incline plane used in everyday life?

An incline plane is used in a variety of everyday tasks, such as loading heavy objects onto a truck, pushing a stroller up a hill, or using a ramp to access a building. It is also used in more complex machines, such as escalators and roller coasters.

5. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using an incline plane?

The main advantage of using an incline plane is that it reduces the amount of force needed to move an object, making it easier to lift or lower heavy objects. However, the disadvantage is that it also increases the distance that the object needs to be moved, which may not always be feasible in certain situations.