Acceleration question -- Deceleration of a baseball being caught by a player

In summary: It's certainly not 36m/s^2.This problem is complicated only because you are over thinking it.In summary, the baseball's initial velocity is +18 m/s and its final velocity is 0 m/s when it is caught by the player. Using the equation vf=vi+at, the acceleration of the ball is found to be -36 m/s^2. It is important to carefully consider the given information and not overthink the problem in order to arrive at the correct solution.
Rasofia
1. A baseball is traveling at +18 m/s and is caught by a player. The ball is brought to rest in 0.5 s. What is the acceleration of the ball?

Homework Equations

Maybe vf=vi+ at ?

The Attempt at a Solution

This is under a Horizontal Projectiles worksheet by the way...I'm not sure what to do on this one though. At first I thought to use the equation above and make 18 the final velocity since that's how it's caught...but then what would be the initial? So then I thought...okay maybe the initial could be 18 and the final is 0 since it says 'at rest'. I don't know, this is a bit complicated. Well, If I do it the second way, I get 36 m/s^2

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Rasofia said:
1. A baseball is traveling at +18 m/s and is caught by a player. The ball is brought to rest in 0.5 s. What is the acceleration of the ball?

Homework Equations

Maybe vf=vi+ at ?[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

This is under a Horizontal Projectiles worksheet by the way...I'm not sure what to do on this one though. At first I thought to use the equation above and make 18 the final velocity since that's how it's caught...but then what would be the initial? So then I thought...okay maybe the initial could be 18 and the final is 0 since it says 'at rest'. I don't know, this is a bit complicated. Well, If I do it the second way, I get 36 m/s^2[/B]

When you catch a ball in a glove, how fast is it going when it comes to rest?

Is the catcher flung backwards by the ball he has caught? :))

When you are at rest on your couch, do you have any velocity? :wink:

This problem is complicated only because you are over thinking it.

SteamKing said:
When you catch a ball in a glove, how fast is it going when it comes to rest?

Is the catcher flung backwards by the ball he has caught? :))

When you are at rest on your couch, do you have any velocity? :wink:

This problem is complicated only because you are over thinking it.

so I'm right, it's 36?

Rasofia said:
so I'm right, it's 36?
It appears to be so.

Likes Rasofia
Rasofia said:
so I'm right, it's 36?
Not quite. The initial speed is carefully stated as "+18m/s". If you plug that in as vi in your "relevant equation" and put vf=0, what exactly do you get for a?

1. How does acceleration and deceleration affect a baseball being caught by a player?

Acceleration and deceleration play a crucial role in the trajectory and speed of a baseball being caught by a player. When the ball is thrown towards the player, it experiences acceleration due to the force of the throw. As the player catches the ball, they apply a force in the opposite direction, causing the ball to decelerate and eventually come to a stop in their glove.

2. What factors affect the acceleration and deceleration of a baseball being caught?

Several factors can affect the acceleration and deceleration of a baseball being caught, including the initial velocity of the throw, the distance between the player and the ball, and the applied force by the player when catching the ball. Other external factors, such as air resistance and gravity, can also play a role.

3. How do the properties of the baseball impact its acceleration and deceleration when being caught?

The properties of a baseball, such as its mass and shape, can affect its acceleration and deceleration when being caught. A heavier ball will require more force to accelerate and decelerate, while a ball with a streamlined shape may experience less air resistance, resulting in a smoother deceleration.

4. Is there a difference in acceleration and deceleration when catching a baseball with a bare hand versus a glove?

Yes, there is a difference in the acceleration and deceleration of a baseball when caught with a bare hand versus a glove. When caught with a bare hand, the player's hand will apply a greater force, resulting in a quicker deceleration. However, a glove can absorb some of the force, resulting in a smoother deceleration for the ball.

5. Can the angle of the player's hand affect the acceleration and deceleration of a baseball being caught?

Yes, the angle of the player's hand can affect the acceleration and deceleration of a baseball being caught. If the player's hand is angled in the direction of the throw, it can help to absorb some of the force and result in a smoother deceleration. However, if the angle is not aligned with the direction of the throw, it may result in a more abrupt deceleration for the ball.