Accelerometer and data acquisition system specification

In summary, the conversation is about a Mechanical Engineering student who is struggling with understanding electronics and electrical engineering. They are working on a final year project that requires them to specify transducers and a data acquisition system, specifically an accelerometer. They are looking at Piezoelectric accelerometers and are unsure about what values they need to consider on the data sheets. They are also seeking guidance on understanding "channel frequency class 600" and how it will impact the transducer specification.
JCJones
Hi,

I'm a Mechanical Engineering student and the voodoo that is electronics/ electrical engineering baffles me.

However a portion of my final year project requires me to specify certain transducers and a data acquisition system.

At the minute I am trying to specify an accelerometer.

I'm either correctly or incorrectly looking at Piezoelectric accelerometers as my research has lead me to believe that they are the way to go when looking at dynamic accelerations (the project is a piece of apparatus to test the performance of head restraints in vehicles).

The guide lines I have to stick to are that the channel has to be channel frequency class 600.

Can anybody point me in the right direction as to what values I need to be interested in on the data sheets for accelerometers?

Many thanks, to anyone who can spare me a bit of wisdom.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sorry to bump this but if no one has any ideas, can someone suggest a book or resource that might explain what channel frequency class is and how it will affect the specification of transducers?

You may want to ask the person that posed the problem what channel class 600 means.

Last edited:

1. What is an accelerometer and how does it work?

An accelerometer is a sensor that measures the acceleration or change in velocity of an object. It typically consists of a mass suspended by springs or other elastic materials that move in response to acceleration. This movement is then converted into an electrical signal that can be measured and recorded.

2. What factors should be considered when specifying an accelerometer for data acquisition?

When specifying an accelerometer for data acquisition, factors such as frequency range, sensitivity, accuracy, and mounting options should be taken into account. The intended application and environment should also be considered, as well as any specific requirements for the data acquisition system.

3. How does the sensitivity of an accelerometer affect data acquisition?

The sensitivity of an accelerometer determines the smallest acceleration that it can detect and measure. A higher sensitivity allows for more precise measurements, but can also be more susceptible to external noise. It is important to select an accelerometer with an appropriate sensitivity for the desired application.

4. What is the difference between analog and digital data acquisition systems for accelerometers?

Analog data acquisition systems measure and record the output signal from the accelerometer directly, while digital systems convert the analog signal into a digital format for storage and analysis. Digital systems typically offer better accuracy and flexibility, but may also be more complex and expensive.

5. How can the specifications of an accelerometer affect the accuracy of data acquisition?

The specifications of an accelerometer, such as its frequency range and sensitivity, can greatly impact the accuracy of data acquisition. It is important to select an accelerometer with the appropriate specifications for the desired application and to carefully calibrate and maintain the system to ensure accurate measurements.