Acceptance Angle in Optical fibre

In summary, the acceptance angle for total internal reflection (TIR) is determined by the condition sin(i)≥n2/n1, where i is the angle of incidence in the core, n2 is the refractive index of the cladding, and n1 is the refractive index of the core. The critical angle, i(c), is the angle at which TIR occurs and is defined by the formula sin(i(c))=n2/n1. For TIR to take place, the angle of incidence must be greater than the critical angle. However, this contradicts the statement that TIR occurs if the angle falls within the acceptance cone of the fiber. Additionally, the critical angle is a boundary between two states and
ananth271194
According to the derivation of acceptance angle the first step is,
The condition for Total Internal reflection(TIR) is sin(i)≥n2/n1,
where i is angle of incidence in the core,
n2= refractive index of the cladding and n1=refractive index of the core.
sin(i(c))=n2/n1, where i(c) is the critical angle.
For TIR to take place the angle HAS TO BE ONLY GREATER than critical angle.
But the condition above contradicts the statement.
which one is true>

Science news on Phys.org
That's a very good point.

IMHO the critical angle is a boundary between two states and should not be included in either state.
Kind of like cutting a piece of paper along a line. Neither piece is part of the cut line.

The contradiction is present even in the text describing the formula and the formula itself here:
light entering the fiber will be guided if it falls within the acceptance cone of the fiber, that is if it makes an angle with the fiber axis that is less than the acceptance angle,

Wikipedia link

Last edited:
So basically you assume here that TIR is greater than or equal to critical angle?

I think you're letting 'pure maths' get in the way of common sense Engineering here. Engineering doesn't tend to distinguish between what, I seem to remember, are referred to as 'closed intervals' and 'open intervals'.

ananth271194 said:
So basically you assume here that TIR is greater than or equal to critical angle?

No,I would state that TIR occurs at angles greater than the critical angle.
For beams incident at critical angle, since no beam can be perfectly parallel, the portion at greater than critical angle is totally reflected. The portion at less than the critical angle is partially refracted. The critical angle is the 0 width boundary between the 2 portions.

What is the acceptance angle in optical fibre?

The acceptance angle in optical fibre is the maximum angle at which light can enter the fibre and still be transmitted without significant loss. It is typically measured in degrees or radians.

What factors affect the acceptance angle in optical fibre?

The acceptance angle in optical fibre is mainly influenced by the numerical aperture (NA) of the fibre, which is determined by the refractive index of the core and cladding materials. Other factors that can affect the acceptance angle include the core diameter and the wavelength of light being transmitted.

How does the acceptance angle impact the transmission of light in optical fibre?

The acceptance angle directly affects the amount of light that can be transmitted through the fibre. If the incoming light exceeds the acceptance angle, it will not be transmitted and will cause signal loss. Therefore, a larger acceptance angle allows for a greater amount of light to be transmitted through the fibre.

What is the significance of the acceptance angle in optical fibre communication?

The acceptance angle is critical in optical fibre communication as it determines the maximum amount of light that can be transmitted through the fibre. A wider acceptance angle allows for more efficient transmission of light, which is essential for high-speed data transfer and long-distance communication.

How is the acceptance angle calculated in optical fibre?

The acceptance angle can be calculated using the formula: sin θ = NA, where θ is the acceptance angle and NA is the numerical aperture. The numerical aperture is calculated by taking the square root of the difference between the square of the core refractive index and the square of the cladding refractive index.