Access to physics (especially astrophysics) research journals

In summary, the conversation discusses ways for someone without university affiliations to access research journals, particularly in the fields of astronomy and astrophysics. Suggestions include using a remote virtual computing service at a university or relying on the arXiv database for newer publications. It is also recommended to try and maintain a university affiliation or use a university library to access articles.
SUDOnym
Hello

My association with a University is coming to an end and with it ends my free access to a panoply of research journals. Can anyone suggest how someone without University affiliations (and who is unable to pay the fee for private use!) could go about accessing at least some journals/ journal articles. (The only free database I am aware of at the moment is arxiv.org).
Some journals that I am particularly interested in accessing are MNRAS, The Astrophysical Journal and The Astronomical Journal.

Any help here would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I thought I found myself in a similar predicament, but I found I can still get access to most journals (those you mention included) if I log into a WTS remote cluster at my university remotely and download articles that way.

Check if your university has a similar remote virtual computing service where you can log in with your usual username. It might not be as user friendly or windows based as what I have though.

Luckily, the arXiv should contain the vast majority of all of the new and recent publications you might be interested in. The problem will be looking up some of the older references not on the arXiv.

I don't really have a good suggestion for that, other than "try to find a way to maintain an affiliation with a University." If you can get access to a local University's library, you should at a minimum be able to download the articles you want from there.

1. What is the purpose of having access to physics research journals?

The purpose of having access to physics research journals is to stay updated on the latest findings and developments in the field of physics. These journals contain peer-reviewed articles and studies that provide valuable insights and information for scientists and researchers.

2. How can I access physics research journals?

There are several ways to access physics research journals, including through academic databases, university libraries, or online subscription services. Some journals may also offer open access options, allowing anyone to read and download articles for free.

3. Are there any limitations to accessing physics research journals?

Yes, there may be limitations depending on the specific journal or publisher. Some journals may require a subscription or payment to access their content, while others may have a paywall that limits the number of articles that can be read for free. Additionally, access to certain journals may be restricted to members of specific institutions or organizations.

4. Can I access physics research journals from anywhere in the world?

Yes, most physics research journals are available online and can be accessed from anywhere in the world as long as you have an internet connection. However, some journals may have geographic restrictions or limitations due to copyright laws.

5. How can I stay updated on new research in astrophysics?

One way to stay updated on new research in astrophysics is to regularly check physics research journals in the field. You can also follow prominent scientists and researchers in astrophysics on social media or attend conferences and seminars to learn about the latest developments and findings.