According to current physics, is vacuum still something or nothing?

In summary, Lawrence Kraus shares that empty space is not truly "nothing" as it is filled with virtual particles that constantly pop in and out of existence. This is supported by the statement that in a vacuum, particles are neither created nor destroyed, suggesting that vacuum is simply nothing. However, in the context of cosmology, the vacuum is defined as having a vacuum energy (dark energy). The question then arises as to whether the vacuum can truly be considered "nothing" and if there is any conflict between this idea and the Big Bang theory. Ultimately, these are metaphysical questions and it is necessary to rely on the mathematical model to understand the concept of "nothing" in relation to the vacuum.
PeroK said:
That could be alternating current, rather than the axiom of choice.
And I thought "almost certain".

Physics news on Phys.org
fresh_42 said:
And I thought "almost certain".
Acronyms are a.c. (always confusing).

• Haha
Likes phinds and fresh_42
wonderingchicken said:
By something, with critical thinking, I define something as that which is contained within boundaries or limits. Basically that which is finite. What is synonymous with something is object such as an atom, "fields", etc. Anything with physical boundaries.

Well... Cosmologists think that Universe is actually infinite, so by your definition Universe is not something. The same with fields, since these are defined on whole "infinite" spacetime.

Perhaps absolute nothing is still something? Perhaps the absolute nothingness of the vacuum is still something (i.e. a vacuum). What we need is absolute nothing that is not something at all.

Thread is closed for Moderation...

• Skeptical
Likes Rev. Cheeseman
As it is much ado about "nothing" and seemingly going in (largely philosophical) circles, this thread will remain closed.

• Skeptical
Likes Dale, Rev. Cheeseman and phinds