Achieving Research Success: Paul's Story

• Programs
  • Thread starter Timber1900
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Research
In summary, Paul is a sophomore at Arizona State, studying Medicinal Biochemistry. He is interested in doing a PhD at one of the top schools in the country and is looking to up his game. He has been published in journals and is the president of an undergraduate chemistry club. He has a 3.5 GPA, but is looking to raise it to a 4.0.
Timber1900
Hi All,

I've browsed the forums a bit and saw the community is both helpful and insightful, so I felt it wouldn't hurt to ask for some input.

First, a little bit about me - I'm a sophomore at Arizona State, majoring in Medicinal Biochemistry. As of right now, I spent my first year and a half of college elucidating the secondary structure of proteins in spider silk using an array of physical chemistry methodologies (primarily NMR). From my involvement in several projects, I've been published once in the ACS Journal of Biomacromolecues, a communications draft is being sent to Physics Review Letters regarding some Brillouin scattering work, and there are at least 2 or 3 more papers in the pipeline with my name as secondary author.

Right now, though I'm only in training (my 6th week actually), I work with next-gen self-assembling protein micro-arrays (too many hyphens in that name) to study cancer (long story short - ask me for details if you care. I have a nifty idea I'm trying to push through!).

I prefer to explain myself as a researcher rather than technician since I spend much of my time combing literature and trying to come up with my own original thought rather than carry out orders. At this point many of my ideas end up having to go through a long crystallization process, because of my ignorance (remember, I'm a sophomore).

I spent one summer working full time (those coveted 60+ hours a week) in my old lab and came face to face with failure many many many times over, and am not so much afraid of it as I am just upset that it takes me so many times to get something right.

Though I am aware that planning for graduate school means considering who to work for and where the school is, my near future goal is to go to one of the top schools in the country (UCSF, Yale, Michigan) for their interdisciplinary phd programs that I'm attracted to. To even compete for these programs I feel I need to be much better than what I am now. On paper I may have the credentials to do a PhD at a "good" school that lacks what and who I want to work on and with, but to get into a "great" school that has what I'm looking for I feel I need to up the ante.

Aside from research, I've taught 1-credit hour class (about to do it twice), right now am the president of our undergraduate chemistry club, and have several awards and recognitions under my belt, and can call on some relatively big names for Letters of Rec from professors that I'm on a first name basis with (yes, even instructors). But now for the caveat, because of my involvement and 20 credit hour semesters, and whatever other excuse I can pull up, my GPA fell to a 3.5 on a 4.0 scale.

Does anyone have an input?

Thanks,

-Paul

Physics news on Phys.org
To have any real chance of getting accepted by any of those "great" schools you were talking about, you do need to step it up a little. I would see what you can do about maybe teaching some grad-level classes and running your own lab. I'm also guessing that some schools might question your work ethic if they see that you're only taking 20 credits per semester. You should try to get that number up into the 25-30 range.
The fact that you have only been published in journals also worries me. You would make a much more attractive PhD candidate if you had a couple of books published.

GunnaSix said:
To have any real chance of getting accepted by any of those "great" schools you were talking about, you do need to step it up a little. I would see what you can do about maybe teaching some grad-level classes and running your own lab. I'm also guessing that some schools might question your work ethic if they see that you're only taking 20 credits per semester. You should try to get that number up into the 25-30 range.
The fact that you have only been published in journals also worries me. You would make a much more attractive PhD candidate if you had a couple of books published.

You had me going right up to that last bit. :P

What is "Achieving Research Success: Paul's Story" about?

"Achieving Research Success: Paul's Story" is a book that documents the journey of scientist Paul as he navigates the challenges and triumphs of conducting successful research.

Who is the author of "Achieving Research Success: Paul's Story"?

The author of "Achieving Research Success: Paul's Story" is a team of scientists and researchers who have collaborated to share their insights and experiences in conducting successful research.

How can "Achieving Research Success: Paul's Story" benefit aspiring scientists?

The book offers valuable insights, tips, and advice on how to overcome common challenges faced by scientists and achieve success in research. It also provides inspiration and motivation for those starting their scientific careers.

What are some key takeaways from "Achieving Research Success: Paul's Story"?

Readers can learn about the importance of perseverance, collaboration, and adaptability in research. They can also gain insights on how to effectively manage time, resources, and data to achieve success.

Is "Achieving Research Success: Paul's Story" only relevant to scientists in a specific field?

No, the book offers valuable advice and insights that are applicable to scientists in various fields. The concepts and principles discussed in the book can be applied to different research areas and disciplines.