Acid-Base Reactions: Did the Solutions Neutralize Each Other? | Homework Help

In summary, a student mixed four reagents together in the hopes of neutralizing them, but ended up with excess H+ or OH- ions in the solution. The equation provided was not balanced correctly, and the correct equation should have been HCl + HNO3 + Ca(OH)2 + 2RbOH > 2H2O + Ca(NO3)2 + 2RbCl. To determine if the solution is neutralized, one must calculate the concentration of H+ ions produced by the acids and compare it to the concentration of OH- ions produced by the bases.
brycenrg

Homework Statement

Student mix four reagents together, thinking the solutions will neutralize each other. The solutions mixed together are 50.0mL of .1 M HCl, 100mL of .2 M of HNO3, 500mL of .01 M CaOH, 200mL of .1 M RbOH. Did the acids and bases exactly neutralize each other? If not, calculate the concentration of excess H or OH ions left in solution.

Homework Equations

M = mole/liter

The Attempt at a Solution

I looked at the solution and I understand it but I'm having trouble getting a net ionic equation.
Here is my attempt
HCl+HNO3+CaOH+RbOH>2H2O+Ca(NO3)2+RbCl
HCl+2HNO3+CaOH+RbOH>2H2O+Ca(NO3)2+RbCl
2HCl+2HNO3+CaOH+RbOH>2H2O+Ca(NO3)2+2RbCl
I can't figure out how to balance the equation to get to a net ionic equation.
Any suggestions

Physics news on Phys.org
"CaOH" is a big mistake. You have after all written Ca(NO2)2.

One way, after you have corrected that, if you know how these things dissociate into ions, calculate how many moles of H+ are produced by that from the acids, then how many moles of OH- the bases, and decide whether these are equal, or whether one is more than the other,

Likes brycenrg
epenguin said:
"CaOH" is a big mistake. You have after all written Ca(NO2)2.

One way, after you have corrected that, if you know how these things dissociate into ions, calculate how many moles of H+ are produced by that from the acids, then how many moles of OH- the bases, and decide whether these are equal, or whether one is more than the other,
Thank you :D

1. How do I determine if an acid-base reaction has occurred?

An acid-base reaction occurs when an acid and a base react to form a salt and water. To determine if a reaction has occurred, you can use indicators such as litmus paper or pH paper to test for a change in pH. If the pH decreases, it indicates the formation of an acid, while an increase in pH indicates the formation of a base.

2. What is the difference between a strong acid/base and a weak acid/base?

A strong acid or base is one that completely dissociates in water, meaning that all of its molecules break apart into ions. A weak acid or base, on the other hand, only partially dissociates in water, resulting in a lower concentration of ions. This difference affects the strength of the acid-base reaction and the resulting pH change.

3. How do I calculate the pH of a solution after an acid-base reaction?

The pH of a solution after an acid-base reaction can be calculated using the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation: pH = pKa + log ([A-]/[HA]), where pKa is the acid dissociation constant, [A-] is the concentration of the conjugate base, and [HA] is the concentration of the acid. Alternatively, you can also use a pH meter to directly measure the pH of the solution.

4. What is the purpose of a titration in acid-base reactions?

A titration is a laboratory technique used to determine the concentration of an acid or base in a solution. In acid-base reactions, titration is used to find the equivalence point, where the moles of acid and base are equal, in order to calculate the concentration of the unknown solution. This technique is also used to determine the pH of a solution.

5. Can an acid-base reaction result in a neutral pH?

Yes, an acid-base reaction can result in a neutral pH if the acid and base are of equal strength and concentration. This is known as a neutralization reaction, where the acidic and basic properties cancel each other out, resulting in a pH of 7. However, it is important to note that a neutral pH does not always indicate that no reaction has occurred, as some reactions may produce a salt that can affect the pH of the solution.