Acidity of compounds with oxygen-Nucleophility

• Thread starter alingy1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Compounds
In summary: As for the pKa values, they can give you a general idea of the relative acidity/basicity of a compound, but it is not always a direct correlation to nucleophilicity.In summary, the compounds can be ranked in terms of decreasing nucleophilicity as follows: CH3O- > CH3OH > CH3CO2- > NC-. However, for compounds with oxygen, basicity and nucleophilicity do not always follow the same trend. Acetic acid (CH3COOH) may be more acidic than methanol (CH3OH), but it is not necessarily more nucleophilic. This is because the stability of the conjugate base plays a role in determining nucleophilicity. Acetate has resonance structures that
alingy1
Rank the following in terms of decreasing nucleophility:
CH3CO2- CH3OH CH3O- CH3CO2H NC-
For compounds with oxygen, basicity parallels nucelophility.
I attached answer from the book.
Now, what I want to understand, is why CH3CO2H is more basic than CH3OH?
I also attached the only pKa values given in the book.
In my head, CH3CO2H is more acidic (is there a way to prove this using the info given in the acidity chart?)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-23 at 11.13.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-23 at 11.13.14 PM.png
    35.7 KB · Views: 2,135
  • Screen Shot 2014-07-23 at 11.09.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-23 at 11.09.33 PM.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 804
Physics news on Phys.org
Even though methanol may be less nucleophilic than acetic acid, you must remember that acidity is based upon the stability of an acid's conjugate base. Acetate has resonance structures that allow it to stabilize the negative charge over two oxygen, making it a relatively stable base and thus making acetic acid a relatively strong acid (compared to other organic compounds).

I don't understand why Chris K's answer is wrong. CH3COOH can hardly take another proton to become CH3CO2H2. As you said, it is acidic.
Now, how am I supposed to know CH3COOH is a better nucleophile than CH3OH? Is it by rough memorization? Or is it a debated subject?

Teemo, your answer isn't clear to me. What are you trying to say? That basicity is not entirely dependent on nucleophilicity in this case?

What I'm saying is exactly what Chris K. is saying. The book answer is correct. I guess I didn't make myself clear last time about the relationship between resonance and nucleophilicity. First, keep in mind that a conjugate base will ALWAYS be more nucleophilic than its acid. Moving on. Like I said last time. Acetate can resonance stabilize its negative charge, whereas methoxide cannot. Nucleophilicity is dependent on electron density, which allows for the attack of an electrophilic entity. Because acetate is resonance stabilized, it is a weaker nucleophile than methoxide due to its widespread electron density, whereas the methoxide's electron density surrounds the oxygen atom (you can see electron density maps for this if not visualizable). So we know that acetate is a weaker nucleophile than methoxide. Now we look at acetic acid and methanol. Both differ from methoxide and acetate by one hydrogen atom attached to a nucleophilic oxygen atom. So we can tell that the effect of the hydrogen atom on each compound is roughly similar. As such, because methoxide is determined to be more nucleophilic than acetate, (due to two reasons Chris mentioned, size and resonance) and because the effect of the hydrogens in essence cancel out, we know that methanol is more nucleophilic than acetic acid.

Teemo. There is something vital and crucial I may not be getting here.
The book says:
CH3COOH>CH3OH
Chris K. and (you) seem to say:
CH3COOH<CH3OH
Did you misread the books answer? Maybe I'm too tired and I should sleep...

I believe your book's answer is incorrect. If you look at the mechanism for esterification, the methanol attacks the acetic acid. If acetic acid was more nucleophilic, it would be more likely for the methanol to be protonated and attacked rather than the acetic acid.

Likes 1 person

1. What is acidity in terms of compounds with oxygen-nucleophility?

Acidity refers to the ability of a compound to donate a proton (H+) to a solution. In compounds with oxygen-nucleophility, the acidity is determined by the strength of the oxygen atom's bond to the hydrogen atom and its ability to attract and stabilize a negative charge.

2. How does the presence of oxygen affect the acidity of a compound?

The presence of oxygen in a compound can increase its acidity by providing a more electronegative atom for proton donation. Oxygen also has a high electron density, making it more efficient in stabilizing negative charges and increasing the likelihood of proton donation.

3. What is the relationship between nucleophility and acidity in compounds with oxygen?

Compounds with high nucleophility tend to have higher acidity because they have a stronger ability to attract and accept protons. In compounds with oxygen-nucleophility, the oxygen atom is highly electronegative and can stabilize negative charges efficiently, making it a strong nucleophile and increasing the acidity of the compound.

4. How does the structure of a compound affect its acidity with oxygen-nucleophility?

The structure of a compound can greatly influence its acidity with oxygen-nucleophility. For example, compounds with multiple oxygen atoms or an oxygen atom attached to a highly electronegative atom tend to have higher acidity due to the increased ability to stabilize negative charges and donate protons.

5. What are some common examples of compounds with oxygen-nucleophility and high acidity?

Some common examples of compounds with oxygen-nucleophility and high acidity include carboxylic acids, alcohols, and phenols. These compounds contain oxygen atoms that are highly electronegative and can easily donate protons, making them strong acids.