ACM announces FREE downloads from Digital Library

• Thread starter Tom.G
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Digital
In summary: I too received an email from ACM about their Digital Library being free for the next three months. I believe this is a great opportunity for ACM to support research, discovery and learning during this time of crisis. I recommend everyone spend some time exploring the ACM DL and see what resources are available to them. Have fun!
Tom.G
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I received an email notice a few days ago from ACM (Association of Computing Machinery) that their Digital Library will be free thru June 30, 2020.
We believe that ACM can help support research, discovery and learning during this time of crisis by opening the ACM Digital Library (ACM DL, https://dl.acm.org) to all. For the next three months, there will be no fees assessed for accessing or downloading work published by ACM.
Sounds like a deal to me!

Cheers,
Tom

Likes jim mcnamara, phinds, DrClaude and 1 other person
Technology news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
Any recommendations to download first?

When I first joined ACM, around the time I got an Altair computer (1975-76), I got the first two hardcopy volumes of their library. What a treasure of algorithms and languages that was for an early adopter of the technology!

Since I deviated from ACM's later concentration on high-level scientific computing, to things like FAX machine hardware/firmware and Industrial Control, I have rarely investigated the library since. They do cover a wide range of interests though, so spend some time exploring what's there for you.

Have Fun!
Tom

I too had an Altair, the 6800 model, and the associated tech manuals. I'll have to check your tip out. I still have the 6800 and it seems that it still works.

At the time, I got it, I realized the investment was getting a bit out of hand as the cheapest terminal was the Televideo and it was in the range of $600 to $800 and so I decided to instead get a Radio Shack Model 1 (aka the Trash 80). I did program the 6800 using the switch front but that got tedious real fast especially when debugging through the front panel was insane.

Likes berkeman
jedishrfu said:
I did program the 6800 using the switch front but that got tedious real fast especially when debugging through the front panel was insane.
Wow that brings back some memories. My first NMR was a JEOL FX90Q and I booted it up using a series of switches on a panel. Set switches, toggle “LOAD”, wait for a particular light to come on, set switches again, toggle “LOAD”, wait for a particular light to come on, set switches again, toggle “LOAD”, Voila! The oscilloscope display came on and I moved through the operating system with a light pen.
I used to think, “I must be a scientist if I can make this thing work!”
1586268422731.jpeg

Likes jedishrfu and berkeman
After I got the SWTP Altair 6800, I regretted not getting the KIM-1 board computer with hex input and some simple games on the digit LED display.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KIM-1

It was cheaper and required less extra equipment. I was happy with the Radio Shack and its cassette tape input and learned a lot. I had gotten a line printer that was terrible at printing. It had a wavy column 1 because it couldn't return back faster enough on longer lines. I applied a custom software fix to pad all lines with spaces at the cost of slowing the printer down.

Maybe the ACM has some KIM-1 or Raspberry-PI stuff too.

What is the ACM Digital Library?

The ACM Digital Library is a comprehensive collection of articles, conference proceedings, and other resources related to computing and information technology. It is maintained by the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM), the world's largest educational and scientific computing society.

What is the purpose of ACM offering free downloads from the Digital Library?

The purpose of offering free downloads from the ACM Digital Library is to make high-quality research and information more accessible to the public. This allows for a wider dissemination of knowledge and promotes collaboration and innovation within the computing community.

What types of resources are available for free download from the Digital Library?

ACM offers a variety of resources for free download from the Digital Library, including journal articles, conference proceedings, technical reports, and books. These resources cover a wide range of topics within the field of computing and are authored by experts and researchers from around the world.

Do I need to be a member of ACM to access the free downloads?

No, you do not need to be a member of ACM to access the free downloads from the Digital Library. However, becoming a member does offer additional benefits, such as discounted rates for conferences and access to exclusive content.

Are there any restrictions on how I can use the downloaded resources?

The downloads from the Digital Library are subject to copyright laws and should be used for personal use only. They should not be redistributed or used for commercial purposes without proper permission from the copyright holder.