Acoustic Resonance Chamber Design- Wine glass shattering

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a demonstration unit for showing the principle of acoustic resonance using wine glasses. The device will utilize a speaker and amplifier, fit on a desktop, and have sound isolation to prevent excessive noise. The speaker orifice and container shape are important considerations for achieving successful resonance, and the use of a frequency generator and strobe light are recommended. Safety precautions and the use of acoustic simulation software are also discussed.
taylaron
Gold Member
Greetings PFers,

I'm designing a demonstration unit for use in grade schools demonstrating the principle of resonance upon wine glasses (shattering them). I intend to put a wine glass into an acrylic chamber of some geometry, hand the student a microphone and see if they can generate the glass' resonant frequency. Their voice will be amplified through an audio amplifier and projected through a medium size (8-12'' diameter) speaker

Device requirements:
1. Demonstrate phenomenon of acoustic resonance using wine glasses
2. Utilize a speaker and amplifier to generate the sound waves
3. Device should be able to fit on a desktop
4. Sound outside of the device shouldn't be unbearably loud (enclosed container for sound isolation)
5. Capable of handling input from frequency generator or a microphone
6. Protective shroud to isolate observers from flying glass
7. Wine glass should be observable through the top and around most of the wine glass
8. Able to handle varying sizes of wine glasses (varying pedestal height)
9. User should be able to see the wine glass vibrating (likely via strobe light)
10. Built-in canister for broken glass and a lid to insert another wine glass

I have three primary concerns in designing this demonstration unit
1. Geometry of the container causes as little deconstructive interference within the chamber as possible
design chamber so node length corresponds with typical radial distance to glass surface​
2. The sound outside* the device shouldn't be deafening, with the demonstrator able to speak over the noise
single or double acrylic walls for sound isolation. Vacuum between walls? Sound cancellation with another speaker?​
3. Geometry of the speaker orifice

Some good examples of this principle are the following videos:

I'm not worried about the electronics-that's relatively simple. But I do need help designing the container. I presume a cylindrical container with a hole in one side where the sound enters would make the most physical sense because the glass would be the same distance from the chamber at any angle. Wine glasses resonate typically between 450 and 650 Hz. How do I make a chamber that can handle this wide range of frequencies? I want the chamber to be a resonance chamber so the speaker amplitude doesn't have to be really loud (or soft for a long period of time...) The videos show a simple straight hole as the orifice. Should the hole be parabolic in shape to aid dispersion? I'm thinking that I should test the geometry in a water chamber to see if deconstructive interference is an issue.

I have access to Solidworks 2012 student edition with simulator,but I don't think it does acoustic simulation. Does anyone know of a free acoustic simulator?

Thanks for your time!
-Taylaron

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org

I would like to offer some suggestions and considerations for your demonstration unit:

1. Consider the material of the container: Acrylic may not be the best material for sound isolation. You may want to consider using a material with better sound absorption properties, such as foam or rubber.

2. Experiment with different container shapes: While a cylindrical container may seem like the most logical choice, it may not necessarily be the most effective for sound resonance. You could experiment with different shapes, such as a cone or a sphere, to see which one produces the best results.

3. Use a frequency generator instead of a microphone: While a microphone can pick up the resonant frequency of the glass, it may also pick up other ambient noises, leading to inaccurate results. A frequency generator can produce a pure tone at a specific frequency, ensuring more precise resonance.

4. Consider safety precautions: While it is important to isolate observers from flying glass, it is also important to consider the safety of the user. Make sure to provide proper protective equipment, such as safety glasses, for anyone using the demonstration unit.

5. Test different speaker orifice shapes: The shape of the speaker orifice can also affect the resonance of the wine glass. Experiment with different shapes, such as a parabolic or rectangular orifice, to see which one produces the best results.

6. Look into acoustic simulation software: While Solidworks may not have acoustic simulation capabilities, there are other free software options available, such as COMSOL Multiphysics or ANSYS Student.

7. Consider using a strobe light: A strobe light can help visualize the vibrations of the wine glass, making the demonstration more engaging and educational for students.

Overall, it seems like you have a good understanding of the principles involved in this demonstration. I would suggest conducting some experiments and simulations to determine the best container shape, material, and orifice design for optimal resonance. Good luck with your project!

1. What is acoustic resonance?

Acoustic resonance is a phenomenon in which sound waves at a certain frequency cause an object to vibrate with a larger amplitude than at other frequencies. This can occur when the natural frequency of the object matches the frequency of the sound waves.

2. Why do wine glasses shatter when exposed to certain sound frequencies?

Wine glasses shatter when exposed to certain sound frequencies because the sound waves cause the glass to vibrate at its natural frequency, leading to increased stress and ultimately, fracture of the glass. This natural frequency is often within the audible range for humans and can be amplified by the shape and material of the glass.

3. How can acoustic resonance be utilized in wine glass shattering experiments?

Acoustic resonance can be utilized in wine glass shattering experiments by determining the natural frequency of the glass and then exposing it to sound waves at that frequency. This can be achieved through various methods such as using a tuning fork or a tone generator.

4. What factors affect the natural frequency of a wine glass?

The natural frequency of a wine glass can be affected by various factors such as the size and shape of the glass, the material it is made of, and the amount of liquid in the glass. Thicker and heavier glasses tend to have a lower natural frequency, while thinner and lighter glasses have a higher natural frequency.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when conducting wine glass shattering experiments?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when conducting wine glass shattering experiments. The shattered glass can be sharp and potentially cause injury, so it is recommended to wear protective gear such as gloves and goggles. It is also important to carefully dispose of the broken glass to avoid any accidents. Additionally, the sound waves used in the experiment should not be too loud as they can cause damage to the ears.