Acoustics - Critical Bandwidths ?

• Thread starter Radiohannah
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acoustics
In summary, the conversation is about confusion in combining the intensities of sound waves within one critical bandwidth. The person is seeking clarity on how to combine the intensities and is confused by conflicting information online. They eventually realize that the correct approach is to sum the intensities.
Radiohannah
Hello!

I'm getting a bit confused with how to deal with sound waves that are within one critical bandwidth of each other.

I do not fully understand how you are meant to combine the intensities of sound waves when they lie within one critical bandwidth?! I would really appreciate some clarity as I am getting very muddled!

I understand that separately (out with a critical band) the sum of the individual intensities would be more than that of the combined (within one critical bandwidth) intensities. This is where my confusion arises, I don't understand how exactly you can combine these intensities to get the overall result (from which I could evaluate the intensity level) ...the material online seems to conflict...

Basically, if I have two sounds, in one critical bandwidth, I can separately deduce their intensities, but then to evaluate the total intensity, am I meant to sum them, or take an average? By summing them I get an enormous value, which doesn't seem to correlate with the idea that the overall intensity should be smaller. But this is the approach that I have been finding online.

Any ideas/help?!?

Thank you in advance

Hannah :-D :-D :-D

Physics news on Phys.org
Solved it! It must be a sum, was mistaking my logs for lns :-(

Related to Acoustics - Critical Bandwidths ?

1. What are critical bandwidths and how do they relate to acoustics?

Critical bandwidths refer to the range of frequencies that the human ear can perceive as a single entity. In other words, when two sounds are close enough in frequency, they may be perceived as one sound. This concept is important in acoustics because it helps us understand how the human ear processes and interprets sound.

2. How are critical bandwidths measured?

Critical bandwidths are typically measured using psychoacoustic experiments, where participants are asked to identify whether two sounds are different or the same. By varying the frequency difference between the two sounds, we can determine the range of frequencies that are perceived as one sound.

3. What factors affect the size of critical bandwidths?

The size of critical bandwidths can be affected by several factors, including the loudness of the sound, the duration of the sound, and the frequency range of the sound. Additionally, individual differences such as age and hearing ability can also impact critical bandwidths.

4. How do critical bandwidths impact the perception of music?

Critical bandwidths play a crucial role in the perception of music. When two notes are close enough in frequency, they may be perceived as one note, which can impact the overall sound quality and harmony of a piece of music. This concept is also important in sound mixing and mastering, as it helps to ensure that different instruments and vocals do not clash in frequency and can be perceived as distinct sounds.

5. Are critical bandwidths the same for all individuals?

No, critical bandwidths can vary between individuals. Age, hearing ability, and even musical training can all influence the size of critical bandwidths. Additionally, critical bandwidths may also vary depending on the type of sound being perceived, such as speech or music.