Acoustics Music Physics Maths: Get the Book You Need

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of writing a 3000 word essay on the physics and mathematics behind music. The speaker suggests explaining the relationship between music and sine waves and asks for recommendations on books that explain acoustics, notes, scales, different instruments, chords, tempo, and Fourier transforms. A suggested book is "Music: a Mathematical Offering" by David Benson, with a free online version available and "Handbook of Acoustics" by F. Alton Everest.
yup790
For college we have to write a 3000 word essay on a subject so an idea I had was to firstly explain the maths/physics behind music and then break up a piece of classical music into its sine waves.

However, my acoustics knowledge is limited. Does anyone know of a good book/books that explain the physics and maths behind sound/music. Notes, scales, different instruments, chords, tempo etc. I do not yet know Fourier transforms, I understand this is probably useful so a book on that as well might be needed.

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Music: a Mathematical Offering by David Benson. There is a free on-line version of the book https://homepages.abdn.ac.uk/mth192/pages/html/maths-music.html.

Likes Phil Freihofner
http://www.roletech.net/books/HandbookAcoustics.pdf

What is acoustics?

Acoustics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of sound, including its generation, propagation, and effects.

How is music related to acoustics?

Music is created through the use of sound, which is a fundamental aspect of acoustics. Acoustics plays a crucial role in the production, recording, and reproduction of music.

What role does physics play in acoustics?

Physics provides the fundamental principles and laws that govern the behavior of sound waves and their interaction with different mediums and materials, making it essential in understanding acoustics.

How is maths used in acoustics?

Mathematics is used to model and analyze the complex behavior of sound waves and their interactions, as well as to develop equations and formulas that describe acoustical phenomena.

Why should I get the book "Acoustics Music Physics Maths: Get the Book You Need"?

This book provides a comprehensive and easy-to-understand guide to the fundamental principles of acoustics and their applications in music, physics, and maths. It is a valuable resource for anyone interested in understanding the science behind sound and music.