Acoustics & Physics: Is Frequency Linked to Wave Width?

In summary, the higher the frequency of sound, the narrower the wave will be. This can be seen in the size of hydrophones, where higher frequency waves require smaller hydrophones. However, this is not due to the size of the wave itself, but rather the wavelength and the diffraction limit. A needle-shaped hydrophone is used to detect ultrasound waves in water due to the high wave speed in water, which results in a larger wavelength compared to sound waves in air.
F2fHaziq Zaini 93
Is it true that the higher the frequency of sound, the narrower the wave will be?

Physics news on Phys.org
F2fHaziq Zaini 93 said:
Is it true that the higher the frequency of sound, the narrower the wave will be?
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

The simple answer to your question is Yes. Have a look at this information page to see if it helps your understanding. Post here in your thread if you have questions about the link.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wavelength

Thanks Berkeman for the reply. Although I wasnt talking abt the wavelength. More like the size of the sound wave.

You see I am trying to understand the use of a needle hydrophone which is used to detect ultrasound waves underwater. So I am basically trying to find out why it's so small in size. I have heard from my professors that sound waves become narrower, as the frequency increases(Huygens Principle)

A wave can't be assigned a 'size'. It can propagate any distance and all waves spread out from the nominal direction they are pointed in. The only spatial quantity is wavelength.
However, you may be referring to the 'tightness' of a beam that can be produced. That is limited by Diffraction and depends mostly on the 'aperture' or width of the source (projector or radio antenna etc). You need a wide source to produce a narrow beam.
Your needle hydrophone is small and will not be very directional. Your professor was probably talking loosely about wavelength which, for sound in water, is a lot greater than it is in air because the wave speed is so much higher.
But, when teachers tell you something that doesn't make sense to you, you should challenge them and ask for clarity. Asking about this particular confusion is fully justified.
PS Your professor is, presumably, a Biologist and not a Physicist, which could explain the problem. :wink:

I think I believed him because of the fact that when you look at the size of hydrophones; the higher the frequency, the smaller the size of the hydrophone.Which led me to think that sound at the Mhz range will be pretty small. I actually tried explaining to him that it's probably bcuz of the wavelength.

What should I be reading? So that I can understand why a hydrophone has to be needle-shaped?

Appreciate the help :)
(FYI: I am doing a project that involves measuring the power of ultrasound waves in water)

1. How is frequency defined in acoustics and physics?

In acoustics and physics, frequency refers to the number of cycles or vibrations per unit of time in a sound wave. It is measured in hertz (Hz).

2. Is frequency directly linked to the width of a sound wave?

Yes, frequency and wave width are inversely proportional to each other. This means that as the frequency increases, the wave width decreases, and vice versa.

3. What is the relationship between frequency and pitch?

Frequency and pitch are closely related, as pitch is the perception of the frequency of a sound wave. Higher frequency waves are perceived as higher pitched sounds, while lower frequency waves are perceived as lower pitched sounds.

4. Can frequency affect the speed of sound?

Yes, frequency can affect the speed of sound. In general, the speed of sound increases with increasing frequency, but this relationship is also affected by factors such as temperature, humidity, and the medium through which the sound is traveling.

5. How does frequency impact the energy of a sound wave?

The energy of a sound wave is directly proportional to its frequency. This means that as the frequency increases, so does the energy of the sound wave. This is why high frequency sounds can be more intense and have a greater impact on our ears than low frequency sounds.