Acoustics Question Confusion (Test Q)

In summary: People had unique answers because they came up with their own solutions. Trying to generalize what the solution is would be difficult and unnecessary.
Intel Xeon
Homework Statement
test q
Relevant Equations
f = 1/t
A + n = L + n^2
This Problem is from a test that has already been attempted.
This problem required some amount of imagination so many of my peers came up with their own unique answers.
It would be very helpful to get to know what the actual solution is. Any amount of assistance will also be helpful.

Question:. A rubber band is stretched across a pencil box and two pencils are inserted on the two ends making a contraption that looks like this
Screenshot-_32_.jpeg

1) If the rubber band is struck will it produce sound? ofc yes

2) Now imagine the length of the pencil box is increased by 10cm
How will the characteristics of sound in this setup (amplitude, pitch, timbre, time period) differ from the characteristics of sound in the previous setup?
The second question is where people had unique answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Too bad you did not have a rubber band in your pocket to run the experiment.

With a rubber band it gets complicated!
Increased length of course lowers the frequency.
Increased tension raises the frequency.
Smaller diameter from stretching (lower mass per unit length)... does something.

Try reading this paper and see what you come up with. (I did only a quick scan and did not spot your particular case.):
https://digitalcommons.linfield.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1035&context=physstud_theses

(above, and many more, found with:
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+string+tension+affect+resonant+frequency)

Have Fun!

Cheers,
Tom

p.s. Please let us know if you find a reasonable answer. My personal opinion is it would depend on the relative sizes of the rubber band and pencil box, and how close to its elastic limit the band is stretched.

Unfortunately, rubber bands are not ideal springs, but I would assume you should take it as being so.
Do you know the equation relating frequency to tension?

I addition to the other answers...

Intel Xeon said:
Relevant Equations:: f = 1/t
A + n = L + n^2
I don't recognise the second equation. What are A, n and L?

Intel Xeon said:
This Problem is from a test that has already been attempted.
What was the age/level/subject?

Intel Xeon said:
This problem required some amount of imagination so many of my peers came up with their own unique answers.
It would be very helpful to get to know what the actual solution is. Any amount of assistance will also be helpful.

Question:. A rubber band is stretched across a pencil box and two pencils are inserted on the two ends making a contraption that looks like this View attachment 322758

1) If the rubber band is struck will it produce sound? ofc yes

2) Now imagine the length of the pencil box is increased by 10cm
How will the characteristics of sound in this setup (amplitude, pitch, timbre, time period) differ from the characteristics of sound in the previous setup?
The second question is where people had unique answers.
What was your answer to the second question?
Why not do the experiment for yourself?

However, IMO it's a poor questionfor a physics test.

1. What is acoustics?

Acoustics is the branch of science that deals with the study of sound, including its production, transmission, and effects.

2. How is sound measured?

Sound is measured in decibels (dB), which is a unit of measurement for the intensity of sound. The higher the decibel level, the louder the sound.

3. What is the difference between sound and noise?

Sound is any audible vibration that travels through a medium, while noise is unwanted or unpleasant sound that can interfere with communication or cause discomfort.

4. How does sound travel through different mediums?

Sound travels through different mediums, such as air, water, and solids, by causing particles in the medium to vibrate and transfer the sound energy from one location to another.

5. What is the relationship between frequency and pitch?

Frequency is the number of sound waves per second, measured in Hertz (Hz), while pitch is the perception of how high or low a sound is. The higher the frequency, the higher the pitch, and vice versa.