Action for a relativistic free particle

In summary: The "deeper explanation" is the answer to the question "why does the Lagrangian look as it looks?". The somewhat "stupid" answer of course is, "because it works", which in physics means that it describes an aspect of nature in accordance with the observations associated with it.The Lagrangian is a mathematical model that describes the motion of a particle. It looks the way it does because it minimizes the path length between two points in spacetime. The path length is the shortest distance between two points, and this is what the Lagrangian is trying to do.
Higgsono
The action for a relativistic point particle is baffling simple, yet I don't really understand why it is written as,

$$S = -m\int ds $$

I know it's right because we get the right equations of motion from it, but can one understand it in a more intuitive way?

Physics news on Phys.org
Higgsono said:
I know it's right because we get the right equations of motion from it, but can one understand it in a more intuitive way?
What would you consider intuitive? Whether it gives you empirically sound equations of motion is the only relevant issue when it comes down to judging the choice.

Likes Dale
Orodruin said:
What would you consider intuitive? Whether it gives you empirically sound equations of motion is the only relevant issue when it comes down to judging the choice.

Maybe intuitive is not the right word, but what I meant is some deeper explanation.

You could ask the same question about any Lagrangian.

Higgsono said:
can one understand it in a more intuitive way?
This Lagrangian minimizes the path length, the shortest distance between two points is a straight line, a free particle moves in a straight line.

You can say it the other way too. A free particle travels in a straight line in spacetime, a straight line is the shortest distance, so we will minimize (extremize) the interval.

Last edited:
Isn't it basically saying "we will extremise the path length" (where length should be read as the interval)? So "stuff will follow the longest or shortest path available to it"?

You could similarly ask: why does Newton tell us that a free particle follows a straight line in space(time)? Why don't we need a net force to keep a particle going? We don't know. Science doesn't dictate why nature is as it is; it only gives a method to understand how you reliably can obtain knowledge about it (maybe that's the lesson we should learn from all failed attempts to understand the "why" question from mathematical consistency, unification, string theory etc.)

The intuitive way of understanding that action is as other people above me said: it's proportional to the length of the path in spacetime, and apparently nature extremizes this path for free particles. This is just Newton's laws 2.0 and Einstein's geodesic postulate 0.5.

Higgsono said:
Maybe intuitive is not the right word, but what I meant is some deeper explanation.
The "deeper explanation" is the answer to the question "why does the Lagrangian look as it looks?". The somewhat "stupid" answer of course is, "because it works", which in physics means that it describes an aspect of nature in accordance with the observations associated with it.

A somewhat more satisfactory answer is "because of symmetry principles". I think it's Einstein's most important general merit to modern physics to have introduced symmetry principles into physics model building. The mathematical formulation in a pretty comprehensive way is due to Emmy Noether, formulating among other important things (related to local gauge symmetries) theorems about the relation between Lie symmetries and conservation laws. One way to derive the Lagrangian for a free relativistic particle is to build an action that is invariant under the proper orthochronous Lorentz group.

Another argument is given in

https://th.physik.uni-frankfurt.de/~hees/pf-faq/srt.pdf

Likes Dale
Higgsono said:

The length of world line is the only scalar for all the coordinates. It should be used to describe the motion. Coefficient mc assures that dimension of S is action. Intuitively the equation means the law of inertial motion.

Higgsono said:

This idea has been called the principle of extremal aging, or sometimes (less accurately) the principle of maximal aging. But that's really just a name for the same explanation - maybe you'll like the new name batter, though.

1. What is a relativistic free particle?

A relativistic free particle is a concept in physics that describes the behavior of a particle with no external forces acting upon it and moving at speeds close to the speed of light. It takes into account the effects of relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, on the particle's motion.

2. How is action defined for a relativistic free particle?

Action is defined as the integral of the Lagrangian (a function that describes the particle's motion) over a certain time period. For a relativistic free particle, the action is given by the relativistic version of the kinetic energy, which includes the particle's mass and its velocity.

3. What is the significance of action in this context?

Action is a fundamental concept in physics that helps us understand the behavior of particles and their interactions with their environment. In the case of a relativistic free particle, the action allows us to calculate the particle's trajectory and predict its future motion.

4. How does action relate to the principle of least action?

The principle of least action states that a physical system will follow the path that minimizes the action. In the case of a relativistic free particle, this means that the particle will follow the path that minimizes the relativistic kinetic energy, which is equivalent to the classical principle of least action in the limit of low speeds.

5. Can action for a relativistic free particle be generalized to other systems?

Yes, the concept of action can be extended to other physical systems, such as particles in electromagnetic fields or particles in quantum mechanics. In these cases, the action may take on different forms, but the principle of least action still applies.