Action vs Structure: Can Life Be Categorised?

• Thread starter nughret
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Structure
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of categorizing life based on actions rather than structure. The concept of parallel evolution and DNA comparisons as a means of classification is also mentioned. The conversation then delves into the ideas of Lamarck and Darwin's theories of evolution, and the role of behavior in driving adaptations. The relationship between structure and function and the classification of species based on functional groups and ecosystem stability is also touched upon. The conversation ends with a discussion on the semantics of using actions as a form of structure in Darwin's theory.
nughret
Do you think that it maybe possible to categorise life by actions rather than by structure?

Biology news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Nughret.
You can categorize life (or anything else, for that matter) according to whatever criteria you decide upon. Do you have something specific in mind?

Thanks Danger
I guess what i would really like to know is if we replaced the traits of structure by action in Darwins theory of evolution, would it still be true?

Have you heard of parallel evolution - two unrelated species end up looking very similar and doing often very similar things to stay alive in their respective ecosystems.
Ostriches and emus are an example. We call them ratites as a group, but that does not mean they have recent common ancestry.

FWIW -
The emerging primary means of putting species into taxonmic cubbyholes is to use DNA comparisons as the defining characteristic. For hundreds of years the lotus lilly and the sycamore tree (plane tree) were parked in very different parts of the plant cubbyhole system. It turns out they are very closely related, in terms of common DNA segments.
B

nughret said:
I guess what i would really like to know is if we replaced the traits of structure by action in Darwins theory of evolution, would it still be true?

Heck yeah! I have always said to people that IMHO Darwin and Lamarck were BOTH correct. While Natural Selection is the judge, jury, and executioner as to what adaptations pass or fail, the driving "force" of evolutionary adaptations is a change in behavior due to changes in environmental conditions.

...although some would disagree with the statement I just made.

I'm ashamed to admit that I never really studied biology, and don't even know what Darwin set forth in regard to this topic. (And I've never even heard of Lamarck.)
'Traits of structure' would imply to me that he considered physically similar critters to be related. That's a common-sense approach, but not necessarily correct. For instance, in things like medical or forensic study, pigs are far more like humans than are the great apes.
If you want to go by actions, though, it gets a bit weird. By action, a dolphin is more closely related to a tuna than to a human, even though we're both mammals.

Danger -

Lamarck said that acquired traits are passed on. Not genes.

So, if you develop a nervous tic, your children will all have a nervous tic. Horrible example, but you get the idea. A lot of this came from attempts at domesticating wild animals. When a wild species is reared in a completely non-thretening environment, adrenaline levels are low compared to their wild cousins. Low adrenaline affects coat coloration of mammals. Since the mammals reared in captivity had spotty coats, and their babies had spotty coats, you can see how somebody might conclude that the spotty coat trait was acquired and passed on.

Thanks for the explanation, Jim. Sounds like the old 'Nature vs. Nurture' debate, with a twist.
The sad truth is that if you raise a lion from birth the same way that you would a regular household tabby, there's still a good chance that at some point in its life it will chew your face off.
The thing about nervous tics or other quirks is that they might be imitated by an admiring offspring who is trying to emulate a parent. Aside from intensive neurological examination, I'm not too sure how you could determine that. In the case of something like Tourette's (spelling?) Syndrome, then it would be genetic rather than environmental. If it's just an affectation, though, it must be environmental.

Nughret said:
Do you think that it maybe possible to categorise life by actions rather than by structure?
What you ask is well known to biology. Species can be classified according to "functional groups". There are many examples. A "predator", an "omnivore", a "herbivore", etc. Life itself is classified by actions--for example, those forms of life that decompose, those that use anaerobic respiration for energy (fermentation one example), those that carry on photosynthesis (green plants--and let us thank them every day), you get the idea. Ecosystems are classified by actions, those with high primary production vs low (eutrophic vs oligotrophic). The reason biologists use structure rather than function to study evolution of life is because function is not commonly stored as information over time. It is the information contained in nature that allows us to reconstruct the past. Now, consider that ecosystems are cybernetic systems, and you can see how such a system would tend to evolve in such a way to maintain itself in a state of stability--and then we see a way to study natural selection based on study of those species whose "actions" help to maintain ecosystem stability--and that leads to study of such species that are coined "keystone species", e.g., those species who by their ecological "actions" help to maintain ecosystem stability over time. A very interesting aspect of biology--the relationship of structure to function.

I have a looked at Lamarck's work and although it is a theory of actions it is different to what i am suggesting. i interpreted Lamarck's theory as: the actions of a species, as genarations pass, become more specific and advantageous for the environment they are in.
Now what i am asking is that if we say that each organism is born with a set of possible actions for how it will act in an enviroment, and therefore its chances of survival, can this set of actions be used as structure is in Darwins theory of natural selection?

It seems to me that the semantics are too ambiguous to be dealt with scientifically. There is a distinct difference to me, for instance, between 'action', 'structure' and 'structured action'.
By that same token, I can't see how an ecosystem can be called 'cybernetic' as Rade mentioned. The definition of 'cybernetic' that I grew up with was an interaction of some sort between biological entities and artificially created machines.

Danger said:
...By that same token, I can't see how an ecosystem can be called 'cybernetic' as Rade mentioned. The definition of 'cybernetic' that I grew up with was an interaction of some sort between biological entities and artificially created machines.
What you describe here is called a "cyborg"--which is a type of cybernetic system--see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyborg. The field of study called cybernetics is hugh--check out this review:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cybernetics

As to ecosystems...there is a very nice book titled " Perspectives in Ecological Theory", 1968, Ramon Margalef, U. Chicago Press. The first chapter is titled, "The Ecosystem as a Cybernetic System". This book is a classic for those that study Ecology. Then, you will want to read the important work of Pattern and Odum from 1981 on this topic:
http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0003-0147(198112)118%3A6%3C886%3ATCNOE%3E2.0.CO%3B2-P

Last edited by a moderator:
nughret said:
I have a looked at Lamarck's work and although it is a theory of actions it is different to what i am suggesting. i interpreted Lamarck's theory as: the actions of a species, as genarations pass, become more specific and advantageous for the environment they are in.
That is NOT what Lamarck's theory claimed. Indeed, what you're describing is more Darwinian.

Now what i am asking is that if we say that each organism is born with a set of possible actions for how it will act in an enviroment, and therefore its chances of survival, can this set of actions be used as structure is in Darwins theory of natural selection?
There is evolution of behavioral traits as well as physical traits, but it's important to keep in mind that those behavioral traits are based on structural traits and genetics as well, at least those that can be passed on to future generations as "innate" behaviors as opposed to learned behaviors.

nughret said:
I have a looked at Lamarck's work and although it is a theory of actions it is different to what i am suggesting. i interpreted Lamarck's theory as: the actions of a species, as genarations pass, become more specific and advantageous for the environment they are in.Now what i am asking is that if we say that each organism is born with a set of possible actions for how it will act in an enviroment, and therefore its chances of survival, can this set of [possible] actions be used as structure is in Darwins theory of natural selection?
The set of "possible actions" that you look for that determines how an organism will act in an environment, as structure, are called genes found on chromosomes. Each organism is born with a set of genes (possible actions) that help determine how it will act to survive and reproduce. Natural selection is defined as the non random reproduction of genotypes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Action vs Structure: Can Life Be Categorised?

1. What is the difference between action and structure in terms of categorizing life?

Action and structure are two different ways of categorizing life. Action refers to the behaviors and activities of living organisms, while structure refers to the physical characteristics and organization of living organisms.

2. Can life be categorized solely based on its action or structure?

No, life cannot be categorized solely based on its action or structure. Both action and structure are important aspects of life and must be considered together in order to fully understand and categorize it.

3. How do scientists use action and structure to categorize life?

Scientists use a combination of action and structure to categorize life. They look at both the behaviors and physical characteristics of living organisms to determine their place in the classification system.

4. Are there any limitations to using action and structure to categorize life?

Yes, there are limitations to using action and structure to categorize life. Some living organisms may exhibit similar actions or have similar structures, making it difficult to distinguish between them. Additionally, there are cases where certain actions or structures may not fit neatly into existing categories.

5. How does understanding the relationship between action and structure contribute to our understanding of life?

Understanding the relationship between action and structure is crucial in our understanding of life. It allows us to see the connections and patterns between different living organisms, and helps us to better classify and make sense of the diversity of life on Earth.