Activation energy from dynamic NMR

In summary, the forum member is seeking help with calculating the activation energy of an amide bond using NMR spectra. They have found equations to use, but are unsure if they are using the correct ones. They have also encountered an issue with their frequency factor and are seeking confirmation on their approach. The forum member is advised to double check their calculations, consult with others, and consider any assumptions or limitations of the equations they are using. They are also encouraged to compare their results with previous studies for validation.
Chickenpoxpie

Homework Statement

I need to calculate the activation energy (barrier of rotation) of an amide bond. I have NMR spectra at various temperatures. I know that once I have the rates I can do an Arrhenius plot to find the activation energy, but I'm having trouble with the ``finding the rates'' part.

I found some equations and I want to confirm that I am doing the right thing

Homework Equations

Slow exchange (defined peaks)

k = pi*(va - vo)

where va is the full width at half height of the peak that has experienced some widening due to exchange. vo is the initial full width at half height of a peak due to no exchange (essentially the FWHH of a peak at low temperatures).

intermediate exchange

k = (pi * (do^2 - da^2))/2^.5

where do is the difference between the peaks when no exchange occurs (again at low temps). da is the difference between the peaks in spectrum.

fast exchange

k = pi * do^2 /(2(va - vo))

The Attempt at a Solution

I went through and did the calculation and came up with an Ea of 18 kcal/mol which is reasonable considering the Ea of the very similar peptide bond is about 20 kcal/mol. The problem occurs in the frequency factor which is off the charts (e^32) so this is giving me reason to believe I might not be using the correct equations.

Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. It seems like you have the right idea in terms of using NMR spectra to calculate the activation energy of an amide bond. However, I would like to offer some suggestions to help you confirm your calculations.

Firstly, make sure that you are using the correct units for your calculations. The activation energy is typically measured in joules/mol or kilocalories/mol. Make sure that all your other values, such as the frequency factor and rate constant, are also in the correct units.

Secondly, it's always a good idea to double check your calculations and equations to ensure that you are using the correct ones. You may also want to consult with a colleague or supervisor to confirm your approach.

Lastly, it's important to keep in mind that the equations you are using may have certain assumptions or limitations, so make sure that they are applicable to your specific case. It may also be helpful to compare your results with previous studies on amide bond activation energy to see if they are in the same range.

I hope this helps and good luck with your calculations! Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions.

1. What is activation energy in dynamic NMR?

Activation energy in dynamic NMR refers to the minimum amount of energy required for a molecule to undergo a nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) transition between different energy states. This energy is necessary for molecules to exchange between different conformations or to undergo chemical reactions.

2. How is activation energy measured in dynamic NMR?

Activation energy in dynamic NMR can be measured through various techniques such as temperature-dependent NMR experiments, kinetic analysis, and line shape analysis. These methods involve monitoring the change in NMR signals as a function of temperature or time to determine the energy barrier for the dynamic process.

3. What factors influence activation energy in dynamic NMR?

Activation energy in dynamic NMR can be influenced by various factors such as temperature, solvent environment, and molecular structure. Higher temperatures generally decrease the activation energy, making the dynamic process more favorable. Solvent environments can also affect the energy barrier by stabilizing or destabilizing certain conformations. The molecular structure, such as the strength of intramolecular interactions, can also impact the activation energy.

4. How does activation energy relate to the rate of a dynamic process in NMR?

Activation energy and the rate of a dynamic process in NMR are inversely related. A lower activation energy indicates a faster rate of exchange or reaction, while a higher activation energy results in a slower rate. This is because a lower activation energy means that molecules require less energy to overcome the energy barrier and undergo the dynamic process.

5. Why is understanding activation energy important in dynamic NMR?

Understanding activation energy in dynamic NMR is crucial for studying and characterizing molecular processes and reactions. It provides insight into the energy landscape of molecules and can help determine the stability and reactivity of different conformations and chemical species. Activation energy also plays a significant role in the design and development of new drugs and materials, as it affects the rate and selectivity of reactions.