Active versus passive mass in classical mechanics

In summary: And even that correlation was only found for very massive objects. It's been very hard to test and there is still much debate about it.Thanks for the response DH. Yes, I realize that wikipedia is not the best source, but it was convenient and the quoted section does agree with other mainstream sources I have encountered, such as:Concepts Of Mass In Contemporary Physics And Philosophy by Max Jammer:Just as a violation of the mi = mp equality would be fatal to Einstein's general relativity, a violation of the mp = ma equality would be fatal to Newtonian physics, for it would invalidate Newton's third law of motion.He
I am bumping this thread up only because this has been an unresolved problem for me for a long time. If there are no replies to this post then I will let it die. Even if you don't have an answer, it would be a great help to me if you just let me know that you understand what I'm talking about. Right now I do not know if I have a misconception or I just did not explain myself very well. Regardless, I would like to thank those who have responded so far. Your input has been helpful.

Also, if for whatever reason you do not feel comfortable replying in the thread, then a PM would be great.

Turtle

<h2>1. What is the difference between active and passive mass in classical mechanics?</h2><p>Active mass refers to the measure of an object's resistance to acceleration when a force is applied to it. It is also known as inertial mass. Passive mass, on the other hand, refers to the measure of an object's resistance to gravitational forces. In classical mechanics, these two types of mass are considered equivalent.</p><h2>2. How are active and passive mass related to each other?</h2><p>Active and passive mass are related through the principle of equivalence in classical mechanics. This principle states that the effects of gravity on an object are equivalent to the effects of acceleration. Therefore, an object's active and passive mass are equivalent and can be used interchangeably in calculations.</p><h2>3. Can active mass be negative in classical mechanics?</h2><p>No, active mass cannot be negative in classical mechanics. This is because active mass is a measure of an object's resistance to acceleration, and acceleration is always a positive quantity. Therefore, active mass must also be positive.</p><h2>4. How does active and passive mass affect an object's motion?</h2><p>Active mass affects an object's motion by determining how it responds to external forces. The greater the active mass, the more difficult it is to accelerate the object. On the other hand, passive mass affects an object's motion by determining how it responds to gravitational forces. Objects with larger passive mass will experience a greater gravitational force.</p><h2>5. Are active and passive mass the same in all reference frames?</h2><p>Yes, active and passive mass are the same in all reference frames. This is because the principle of equivalence holds true in all frames of reference. However, the numerical value of an object's active and passive mass may vary depending on the chosen reference frame.</p>

1. What is the difference between active and passive mass in classical mechanics?

Active mass refers to the measure of an object's resistance to acceleration when a force is applied to it. It is also known as inertial mass. Passive mass, on the other hand, refers to the measure of an object's resistance to gravitational forces. In classical mechanics, these two types of mass are considered equivalent.

2. How are active and passive mass related to each other?

Active and passive mass are related through the principle of equivalence in classical mechanics. This principle states that the effects of gravity on an object are equivalent to the effects of acceleration. Therefore, an object's active and passive mass are equivalent and can be used interchangeably in calculations.

3. Can active mass be negative in classical mechanics?

No, active mass cannot be negative in classical mechanics. This is because active mass is a measure of an object's resistance to acceleration, and acceleration is always a positive quantity. Therefore, active mass must also be positive.

4. How does active and passive mass affect an object's motion?

Active mass affects an object's motion by determining how it responds to external forces. The greater the active mass, the more difficult it is to accelerate the object. On the other hand, passive mass affects an object's motion by determining how it responds to gravitational forces. Objects with larger passive mass will experience a greater gravitational force.

5. Are active and passive mass the same in all reference frames?

Yes, active and passive mass are the same in all reference frames. This is because the principle of equivalence holds true in all frames of reference. However, the numerical value of an object's active and passive mass may vary depending on the chosen reference frame.