Addiction to coffee; embrace it or avoid it?

• Thread starter wasteofo2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coffee
In summary, coffee addiction is not something to be overly worried about, as long as you don't drink more than a couple of cups a day and keep other kinds of reasonable constraints.
Ivan Seeking said:
I don't like the flavored coffees either. But as for SA, in Peru, most places had Sanka instant. I couldn't believe it! The hotel had good coffee for foreigners, but for some reason, all of the locals that I interacted with drank Sanka.

My friends are from Brazil. You can now get the good coffee there, but they used to export all the good stuff and keep all the lousy stuff. I love cafe con leche! I got addicted to that with my Puerto Rican friend...that's the only way she made coffee...super strong espresso style coffee mixed half and half (approximately) with boiled milk. Yummy!

Physics news on Phys.org
wasteofo2 said:
Hola muchachos,

I'm not addicted to coffee yet, but man, I sure do like the taste. I don't drink it regularly, but mainly because on weekdays I rarely have enough time in the morning to make coffee for myself. Once I get into College, I can see myself easily becoming addicted to coffee because my sleeping habbits are very bad, and I'll likely need lots of stimulation to stay awake all the time I'll need to.

So my question for you coffee addicts is: Is addiction to coffee anything that I should be wary about, or is it a harmless enough drug that addiction really won't be that detrimental to me?

Thanks,
Jacob

EMBRACE THE POWER THAT IS CAFFEINE!

You cannot fight it!

Sleep, she is for the weak!

:biggrin:

Moonbear said:
My friends are from Brazil. You can now get the good coffee there, but they used to export all the good stuff and keep all the lousy stuff. I love cafe con leche! I got addicted to that with my Puerto Rican friend...that's the only way she made coffee...super strong espresso style coffee mixed half and half (approximately) with boiled milk. Yummy!

Its a latte with a spanish name. A strong latte, but a latte no less.

wasteofo2 said:
For the coffee addicts out there, or the independent enthusiasts thereof, I humbly submit my reccomendation that you try out Jack Daniels brand coffee, particularly the Oak Barrel blend. This is the coffee that will drive me to addiction if anything does.

Is it alcoholic coffee :-p ?

franznietzsche said:
Is it alcoholic coffee :-p ?
It isn't alcoholic, though it could easily be made so. I wouldn't be surprised if Jack Daniels coffee went remarkably well with Jack Daniels Whiskey.

Last edited:
franznietzsche said:
Its a latte with a spanish name. A strong latte, but a latte no less.

:-p As opposed to cafe con leche with an Italian name?

It's not quite the same. Even though you use an espresso-like coffee, it's a different roast (tastes nuttier to me), and it's brewed like regular coffee, not with high pressure like with espresso, and the milk is just boiled, not frothed, and no foam on top. And most importantly, yes, stronger! :biggrin:

This thread has had me craving coffee all day. Since I was sick yesterday, I've been trying to avoid having any coffee other than my morning cup today, and this thread has been driving me nuts. Is it too early to have my morning coffee? I just had eggs and toast and decided it's an early breakfast (mostly I was just starved...I didn't eat much of anything yesterday, so today I'm catching up).

Well there is no way you should avoid coffee :)
It's a great drink and it is really healthy for you too ;)
Just make sure you get an actual espresso machine so that you can make yourself decent cups of coffee instead of settling for instant.
Also get one of those little mini grinders so that you can grind the beans to get a nice fresh taste every day.
Oh and don't get too addicted to it because you will get a bit shaky if you have too much.
I've only heard about that happening to one person and they had way too much.
They had something like 16 cups a day which is a real addiction haha.
Stick to 10 and below to be on the safe side.
Well those are my words of wisdom on coffee ;)

i just made my first cup of coffe and I'm going to go for a smoke :-p

Soilwork said:
Just make sure you get an actual espresso machine so that you can make yourself decent cups of coffee instead of settling for instant.
Also get one of those little mini grinders so that you can grind the beans to get a nice fresh taste every day.

You don't need an espresso machine, but fresh ground coffee is wonderful! And, some of the supposedly healthy compounds in coffee are somewhat volatile (IIRC), so fresh coffee has some health benefits, but if you let it sit around in the pot, you lose those benefits. Whether it's true or not, it's a good excuse not to drink old coffee. :biggrin:

wasteofo2 said:
It isn't alcoholic, though it could easily be made so. I wouldn't be surprised if Jack Daniels coffee went remarkably well with Jack Daniels Whiskey.

A plan is now forming in my mind...

...the best part of waking up, is JD in your cup...

franznietzsche said:
A plan is now forming in my mind...

...the best part of waking up, is JD in your cup...

It's called Irish coffee. Of course they probably use an Irish whiskey rather than JD, but same concept. :biggrin: Very tasty after dinner.

I think I support the economy of Brazil with my coffee consumption. :biggrin:

At least 2 mugs (24 fluid oz) to start the day, and about 5-6 mugs 12+ oz on a slow day, maybe up to 10-12 mugs.

My first two cups are usually mixed with Swiss Miss cocoa plain or Hershey's raspberry cocoa.

Or, when I have vanilla ice cream, I put one or 2 heaping tablespoons of ice cream in a 24 oz mug, cover with honey, sprinkle on a generous amount of nutmeg powder, and pour the coffee. Two of those is enough to get me started.

Once in awhile I drink and Irish Coffee - but not Jack Daniels - rather Johnny Walker Black or a suitable Irish Whisky. IIRC, I didn't like JD - too much like bourbon.

Last edited:
I drink only a cup a day (pregnant right now) as okayed by my midwife...but normally, I drink about 3 cups a day. I am definitely hooked on the caffeine, if I go without, I get headaches and grumpy, but if I stop for a week or more, I find that I am okay without it. Once I go back on it, it really gives me the jitters until I get my tolerance to it back up.

Coffee is my one indulgence I really love, and I am a coffee snob. I refuse to drink pre-ground coffee from a can, and grind my beans each morning, then use a french press. I typically buy French Roast, but like the Breakfast Blend now and again. And Starbucks totally stinks! Can't stand them and they are EVERYWHERE here.

I used to grind my beans fresh every morning, but then realized that most mornings, I'm just not that coordinated. So, now I buy about a week's worth at a time that I grind at the grocery store (the ones they sell in bulk) and store them in a tightly sealing jar that seems to keep the coffee reasonably fresh for a week. I can tell the difference between the first and last day, but not so much to get me back to trying to grind them daily. What I really need is one of those coffee makers that I think exists where you load it up with the whole beans, set the amount and a timer, and it grinds and brews for you in the morning. If such a thing doesn't exist, it should!

I once attempted to invent the coffee bag. Like the tea bag, but with ground coffee. It didn't work. Maybe I'll try again...

It's already been invented :)
Robert Timms has coffee bags

The coffee bags are really not bad, I take them camping with me if I'm the only one there drinking coffee.
I think I'm going to try Astro's Ice cream and coffee mix, that sounds really REALLY good

I have a box of coffee bags in my office. When I'm working late and don't want to be bothered making a whole pot of coffee, or when we run out of coffee, I have the bags that I can just microwave. It makes a decent cup.

http://www.wernergut.de/smilies/anim/an192.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was still bartending, I invented my personal Special Coffee menu item. It doesn't have a name, and I don't recommend it for anyone with a nut allergy. It goes into a sugar-rimmed snifter the same as a Monte Cristo or Spanish.

1.5 oz Swiss Chocolate Almond
.75 oz Amaretto
.25 oz Frangellico dribbled over the whipped cream
garnished with a cherry, of course

(I think that I might be the only person who sugars the coffee rims using lemon juice instead of cherry juice or water; it gives a nice hint of tartness to counterpoint the sweetness of the drink.)

Sounds yummy! When I was in college and grad school (same town), there was this restaurant that was well known for desserts and coffee drinks! They attracted quite a large after dinner crowd for those. Mmmmmm. All the bio TAs used to get together after our Thursday night prep sessions to go out for desserts or other snack items and coffee drinks. Imagine a group of about 15 people with a sense of humor just like mine! No topic was safe...we made our waiters and waitresses blush on more than a few ocassions (we did tone it down one night when one of our students was waiting tables...though we teased him that poisoning our food would drop his grade :biggrin:).

Maybe I am just tired, and need some coffee, but this thread goes around and around in the strangest way, I am getting even more confused than usual, I had coffee after dinner, imagine there was a gap of about 10 hours today, in which I drank no coffee. How could I do that to myself?

Caffeine is probably the most wonderful stimulant worldwide due to many of the things mentioned in this thread. Ease of procurement, short half-life, rapid effect, relatively mild withdrawal symptoms, minimal side-effects. All in all it's not the worst thing you could do to yourself, but skip moderation. You may find you like the jittery feeling or you may find it doesn't affect you much at all. BTW, naps are a great solution, I wish I was still back in college when naps were part of every classday.

Dayle Record said:
Maybe I am just tired, and need some coffee, but this thread goes around and around in the strangest way, I am getting even more confused than usual, I had coffee after dinner, imagine there was a gap of about 10 hours today, in which I drank no coffee. How could I do that to myself?

You're just confused because we're over 50 posts into the thread and still on the topic of coffee. It's a shock to the system to see an on-topic thread in GD. Or you might just need another cup of coffee.