Adding a shape to make a disc spin?

In summary, a wind catcher director could be used to help direct the wind so that it flows evenly along the flat sides of the disc, preventing it from stuttering or preventing the disc from spinning in the wind.
Bill McGrath
  • I'm basically familiar with wings and lift. I've run into an issue with a sculpture I'm making. I have constructed a 48" disc of 1/16" perforated steel framed in a 1/4" thick by 1 1/4" steel rim. I want to attach bearings to opposite sides of the rim and allow it to spin in the wind, but I sense that, without some additional shape to opposite sides at "opposite" locations, it wouldn't spin very well as oncoming wind would hit both sides of the disc equally, thus either preventing it from spinning or creating a stuttering. I'd prefer to add as little as possible so that it retains the basic flat circle shape. I thought of a 12" wing shaped piece but if i understand rightly, it would be shuting highrprssure air directly into the steel disc which just would cause some kind of turmoil. Can anyone point me to a source or idea for an add-on "wind catcher director" thingy? Thanks so much.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Bill McGrath said:
  • I'm basically familiar with wings and lift. I've run into an issue with a sculpture I'm making. I have constructed a 48" disc of 1/16" perforated steel framed in a 1/4" thick by 1 1/4" steel rim. I want to attach bearings to opposite sides of the rim and allow it to spin in the wind, but I sense that, without some additional shape to opposite sides at "opposite" locations, it wouldn't spin very well as oncoming wind would hit both sides of the disc equally, thus either preventing it from spinning or creating a stuttering. I'd prefer to add as little as possible so that it retains the basic flat circle shape. I thought of a 12" wing shaped piece but if i understand rightly, it would be shuting highrprssure air directly into the steel disc which just would cause some kind of turmoil. Can anyone point me to a source or idea for an add-on "wind catcher director" thingy? Thanks so much.
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Is the disc vertical? Is it free to gimbal so that the wind flows along both of its flat sides, as opposed to hitting one side head-on?

If the disc is horizontal, does the center of the disc sag a bit?

Can you just drive the rotation of the disc at the bearings, rather than using the wind directly? You could have a separate windmill arrangement to get the energy from the wind to give you the rotational torques at the bearings, for example...

http://cdn4.explainthatstuff.com/darrieus-vertical-wind-turbine.jpg
darrieus-vertical-wind-turbine.jpg

berkeman said:

Is the disc vertical? Is it free to gimbal so that the wind flows along both of its flat sides, as opposed to hitting one side head-on?

Can you just drive the rotation of the disc at the bearings, rather than using the wind directly? You could have a separate windmill arrangement to get the energy from the wind to give you the rotational torques at the bearings, for example...

View attachment 203869
Thanks for replying. yes it's vertical, so no day. I want to keep it simple so no other propellant or windmill-like tails to steer into wind. I think I'll experiment with a model. again.

berkeman said:

View attachment 203869
Or I could copy the blades as shown in your posted photo and insert my disc in the middle.

Bill McGrath said:
Or I could copy the blades as shown in your posted photo and insert my disc in the middle.
Yes, that could be very nice. I've always wondered about wind turbines with designs like that. I have no intuitive idea how they work. :smile:

Last edited:

1. How can you make a disc spin?

To make a disc spin, you can add a shape such as a wheel or propeller to the disc. These shapes can be attached to a motor or rotated manually to create the spinning motion.

2. What materials are needed to create a spinning disc?

The materials needed will depend on the type of disc you want to create. Generally, you will need a disc-shaped object, a motor or mechanism to create the spinning motion, and a shape such as a wheel or propeller to attach to the disc.

3. How does adding a shape to a disc enable it to spin?

Adding a shape such as a wheel or propeller to a disc creates an off-center weight distribution. When the disc rotates, the weight of the added shape creates an unbalanced force, causing the disc to spin in a circular motion.

4. Can any shape be added to make a disc spin?

Not all shapes will work to make a disc spin. The added shape needs to create an off-center weight distribution in order to create the unbalanced force necessary for spinning. Shapes like wheels, propellers, or even a small weight attached to one side of the disc can work effectively.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when adding a shape to make a disc spin?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when creating a spinning disc. Make sure to use appropriate materials and secure the added shape firmly to the disc to prevent any parts from flying off during rotation. Also, be cautious of rotating parts and keep hands and fingers away from the spinning disc.