Adding numbers with exponents (confusion)

In summary: In this case, $3x^2$ and $4x^2$ can be rewritten as $x^2 + x^2 + x^2$ and $x^2 + x^2 + x^2 + x^2$, respectively, and then combined to give $7x^2$. However, $3^2 + 4^2$ is not the same as $3x^2 + 4x^2$ because the numbers and variables do not have the same structure and cannot be combined using the distributive property. It is important to understand
some one1
Alright here's my confusion, if i take say 3x^2 + 4x^2 ill end up with 7x^2 which i accepted was the correct way to think about it, but if i try the same problem without the x variable doing the same method, 3^2 + 4^2 = 7^2 this is obviously not the correct answer. Instead 3^2 = 9 and 4^2 = 16 so together they equal 25 (7^2 = 49 is incorrect!)

Now if your planning on telling me i should just treat 3x^2 differently then 3^2 without explaining why, well that is not going to help my understanding. I need someone to explain it to me using a common sense approach as to why you do this instead of this, just following rules blindly is next to magic when it comes to trying to fully understand what's going on.

I really appreciate the help, math has always been my weak point.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
\(\displaystyle 3x^2=x^2+x^2+x^2\)

\(\displaystyle 4x^2=x^2+x^2+x^2+x^2\)

\(\displaystyle 3x^2+4x^2=x^2+x^2+x^2+x^2+x^2+x^2+x^2=7x^2\)

In rewriting $3x^2+4x^2$ to $7x^2$ we use the law of distributivity of multiplication over addition. This law says
\[
(a+b)c=ac+bc\qquad(1)
\]
for all numbers $a$, $b$ and $c$. In this case, $a=3$, $b=4$ and $c=x^2$. Substituting these values into (1) gives
\[
(3+4)x^2=3x^2+4x^2
\]
so we can indeed rewrite the right-hand side to the left-hand side and then rewrite it further to $7x^2$ since $3+4=7$.

On the other hand, the expression $3^2+4^2$ simply does not have the shape of either the left- or the right-hand side of (1). You can't match it with (1), i.e., you can't come up with three values such that replacing $a$, $b$ and $c$ in (1) by those values would give $3^2+4^2$. Therefore, (1) can't be used to rewrite $3^2+4^2$.

greg1313 said:
\(\displaystyle 3x^2=x^2+x^2+x^2\)

\(\displaystyle 4x^2=x^2+x^2+x^2+x^2\)

\(\displaystyle 3x^2+4x^2=x^2+x^2+x^2+x^2+x^2+x^2+x^2=7x^2\)

Thanks, i think i understand what i was doing wrong with how i was looking at it, for example, 2x^2 + 2x^2 = 4x^2, if x=2 then 4x^2 = 16 which is the same as 2^3+2^3 which equals 16.
looking at how they are the same helps me to see the obvious mistake i was making, i was looking at 2^3 and was confusing the base with how i understood coefficients to work. but by comparing them with equal examples to one another i saw the obvious difference and mistake in my understanding.

Thank you for helping me, it has finally clicked with my common sense.

$3x^2+4x^2$ is the same as 3 apples + 4 apples...

1. How do I add numbers with exponents?

When adding numbers with exponents, you need to make sure that the exponents are the same for each number. If they are not the same, you can use the exponent rules to rewrite the numbers with the same exponent. Then, simply add the numbers together while keeping the exponent the same.

2. What if the exponents are not whole numbers?

If the exponents are not whole numbers, you can use the power of a power rule to simplify the expression. For example, if you have x1/2 + x3/2, you can rewrite it as x1+3/2, which simplifies to x2/2 = x. Then, you can add the numbers together.

3. Can I add numbers with different bases?

No, you cannot add numbers with different bases. In order to add numbers with exponents, the bases must be the same. If the bases are different, you can use the exponent rules to rewrite the numbers with the same base before adding them together.

4. Is there a shortcut for adding numbers with exponents?

Yes, if you are adding numbers with the same base, you can simply add the numbers in front of the common base while keeping the base and exponent the same. For example, 23 + 23 can be rewritten as (2+2)3 = 43 = 64.

5. How do I check my answer when adding numbers with exponents?

To check your answer when adding numbers with exponents, you can use a calculator or simplify the expression using the exponent rules. If your answer matches the original expression, then your answer is correct. You can also plug in the original numbers into the expression to see if it equals your answer.