Adding or removing energy from a guitar string.

In summary, we have a guitar with electrical pickups that can remove and add energy to the guitar string in two dimensions. With this ideal setup, we can produce both the first and second excited states of the string by adding energy. The pickups also allow for the string to rotate about its axis of rest and for energy to be removed and added simultaneously, creating a new state. The function ψ can approximate this behavior, with the second rotating harmonic appearing to rotate around the first when viewed from the same point.
Spinnor
Gold Member
Say we have a guitar with electrical pickups near each end of one string. Say this guitar string is ideal in that it looses no energy to any form of "friction". Say the electrical pickups can act to both remove and add energy to the guitar string in the two dimensions perpendicular to the string. Say we can add energy to produce both the first and second excited states of the string. Consider vibrations where the string rotates about the axis of rest. Let us add energy to the guitar string at rest and produce the first rotating harmonic. As the pickups can act in reverse and remove energy let us do this and bring the string to rest. For fun calculate both the forcing and "anti-forcing" function that will work.

With the above setup can I now do the following. Excite the first harmonic and latter both remove energy from first harmonic and add energy to the second harmonic? Could my idealized pickups do "two things as once", destroy one state of the string and create another state at the same time?

Would the following function approximate what could go on,

ψ =
exp(-δt)sin(x)exp(+or-iωt) + [1 - exp(-δt)]sin(2x)exp(+or-i[2ωt+α])

What does the second rotating harmonic look like from the point of view of someone rotating "with" the first rotating harmonic and visa-verse (edit, when equal parts of both waves)?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Spinnor said:

ψ =
exp(-δt)sin(x)exp(+or-iωt) + [1 - exp(-δt)]sin(2x)exp(+or-i[2ωt+α])

What does the second rotating harmonic look like from the point of view of someone rotating "with" the first rotating harmonic and visa-verse (edit, when equal parts of both waves)?

Thanks for any help!

Just multiply ψ by the right factor exp(+or-iωt) or exp(+or-i2ωt)?

Say ψ = .5sin(x)exp(iωt) + .5sin(2x)exp(i[2ωt+α]) -->

ψ = .5sin(x) + .5sin(2x)exp(i[ωt+α])

We would "see" .5sin(2x)exp(i[ωt+α]) rotating about .5sin(x)?

Spinnor said:
With the above setup can I now do the following. Excite the first harmonic and latter both remove energy from first harmonic and add energy to the second harmonic? Could my idealized pickups do "two things as once", destroy one state of the string and create another state at the same time?

If the ideal setup is linear, then yes, you can. Linear means that if [itex]\psi_1[/itex] and [itex]\psi_2[/itex] are possible vibrations of the string then so is [itex]C_1\psi_1+C_2\psi_2[/itex] where [itex]C_1[/itex] and [itex]C_2[/itex] are constants. If [itex]V_1[/itex] is the voltage to the pickups that you use to destroy the second wave, and [itex]V_2[/itex] is the voltage you use to create the second, then [itex]V_1+V_2[/itex] will both destroy the first and create the second.

1. How does adding energy to a guitar string affect the sound?

Adding energy to a guitar string, such as by plucking or strumming it, causes the string to vibrate and produce sound. The more energy that is added, the louder and more sustained the sound will be.

2. Can removing energy from a guitar string change the pitch?

Yes, removing energy from a guitar string, such as by muting it with your finger, can change the pitch of the string. When energy is removed, the string's vibrations become smaller and slower, resulting in a lower pitch.

3. How does the type of energy added to a guitar string affect the sound?

The type of energy added to a guitar string can greatly affect the sound produced. For example, plucking the string with your fingers will produce a softer, more mellow sound compared to using a pick, which will create a brighter and more pronounced sound.

4. Can adding too much energy to a guitar string damage it?

Yes, adding too much energy to a guitar string can cause it to break or snap. This is because the string is being stretched beyond its limit and cannot handle the added tension. It is important to be mindful of the amount of energy being applied to a guitar string to avoid damaging it.

5. How does the tension of a guitar string affect the amount of energy needed to produce sound?

The tension of a guitar string plays a significant role in the amount of energy needed to produce sound. A higher tension string will require more energy to produce sound compared to a lower tension string. This is because the higher tension string is harder to vibrate, thus requiring more force to produce sound.