Adding to our knowledge on global warming, and a question

In summary, the conversation discusses the Earth's heating and cooling cycles, with one participant questioning if there are any reputable papers that contradict the idea of the Earth going through these cycles every 50-100 years. Another participant provides a link to a paper discussing more recent cycles, while a third participant shares information on a longer cycle. The conversation highlights the contentious nature of discussing climate change and the various theories and evidence surrounding it.
jaketodd
Gold Member
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
jaketodd said:
Or, is it a complete myth the earth goes through heating and cooling, every 50-100 years or so?
The Earth goes through several heating and cooling cycles but I believe they are all longer than that.

At any rate, this thread is almost certainly doomed since climate change is a contentious subject. The fact that there is climate change is undeniable, but discussion of it quickly devolves into discussions about mankind's contribution and that's where it gets contentious.

jaketodd said:
https://journals.ametsoc.org/view/journals/bams/89/9/2008bams2370_1.xml?tab_body=pdf

I want to add this to the literature base here on physics forums.

I'm curious: Are there any reputable papers that say contrary to this one? Or, is it a complete myth the earth goes through heating and cooling, every 50-100 years or so?

Thanks,

Jake
Here is something on the cycles more recent.

https://climate.nasa.gov/news/2948/milankovitch-orbital-cycles-and-their-role-in-earths-climate/

Likes Tom.G and phinds
As did say Jello Biafra, give me convenience or give me death.

1. What is global warming?

Global warming refers to the long-term increase in the Earth's average surface temperature, primarily caused by the release of greenhouse gases from human activities such as burning fossil fuels and deforestation.

2. How does global warming affect the environment?

Global warming has a wide range of impacts on the environment, including rising sea levels, more frequent and severe natural disasters, changes in precipitation patterns, and loss of biodiversity. These effects can have significant consequences for ecosystems, human health, and economies.

3. What evidence supports the existence of global warming?

There is overwhelming scientific evidence that global warming is occurring, including rising temperatures, melting glaciers and ice sheets, and changes in plant and animal behavior. Additionally, the majority of climate scientists agree that human activities are the primary cause of global warming.

4. Can global warming be stopped or reversed?

While some level of global warming is already inevitable due to past emissions, it can be slowed and potentially reversed by reducing greenhouse gas emissions and implementing sustainable practices. However, it will require a global effort and significant changes in our energy sources, transportation, and land use.

5. What is the role of individuals in addressing global warming?

Individual actions, such as reducing energy consumption, using renewable energy sources, and making sustainable lifestyle choices, can collectively make a significant impact in reducing greenhouse gas emissions. It is also essential to advocate for and support policies and practices that address global warming on a larger scale.