Variant of Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff Formula

In summary, the conversation discusses the desire to find a clean/closed form version of the expression $$e^{X+Y}Ze^{-(X+Y)} - e^{Y}e^{X}Ze^{-X}e^{-Y}$$ where ##X,Y,Z## are matrices that do not commute with each other. The use of the BCH identity to expand each term in the expression is mentioned, but there is difficulty in simplifying the result due to the lack of control over how the expressions in ##X## and ##Y## commute with ##Z##. Suggestions are made to approach the problem using nilpotent matrices of low degree.
thatboi
TL;DR Summary
I want to evaluate ##e^{X+Y}Ze^{-(X+Y)} - e^{Y}e^{X}Ze^{-X}e^{-Y}##
Hi all,
I was wondering if there was a clean/closed form version of the following expression: $$e^{X+Y}Ze^{-(X+Y)} - e^{Y}e^{X}Ze^{-X}e^{-Y}$$
where ##X,Y,Z## are matrices that don't commute with each other. I know of the BCH identity ##e^{X}Ye^{-X} = Y + [X,Y] + \frac{1}{2!}[X,[X,Y]] + \frac{1}{3!}[X,[X,[X,Y]]] + ...##
and I have used the identity to expand each term in my expression, but I cannot see a good way of cleaning up the result, I'm just left with a bunch of nested operators.
Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
thatboi said:
TL;DR Summary: I want to evaluate ##e^{X+Y}Ze^{-(X+Y)} - e^{Y}e^{X}Ze^{-X}e^{-Y}##

Hi all,
I was wondering if there was a clean/closed form version of the following expression: $$e^{X+Y}Ze^{-(X+Y)} - e^{Y}e^{X}Ze^{-X}e^{-Y}$$
where ##X,Y,Z## are matrices that don't commute with each other. I know of the BCH identity ##e^{X}Ye^{-X} = Y + [X,Y] + \frac{1}{2!}[X,[X,Y]] + \frac{1}{3!}[X,[X,[X,Y]]] + ...##
and I have used the identity to expand each term in my expression, but I cannot see a good way of cleaning up the result, I'm just left with a bunch of nested operators.
Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
No way. What you are basically asking for is how to move the garbage on the left through ##Z## in order to annihilate the garbage on the right. Since you allow anything to happen by changing the sides of ##Z##, there is no way to make predictions.

fresh_42 said:
No way. What you are basically asking for is how to move the garbage on the left through ##Z## in order to annihilate the garbage on the right. Since you allow anything to happen by changing the sides of ##Z##, there is no way to make predictions.
Could you elaborate on what you mean by "Since you allow anything to happen by changing the sides of ##Z## "?

thatboi said:
Could you elaborate on what you mean by "Since you allow anything to happen by changing the sides of ##Z## "?
You have certain combined expressions in ##X## and ##Y## on the left and no control over how they commutate with ##Z##. ##e^X## and ##Z## aren't even in the same space.

I would approach this problem with nilpotent matrices of low degree, say the three-dimensional Heisenberg algebra for instance. Then with matrices of a bit increased degree of nilpotency. Maybe you can find a pattern. I will see if I can find something in the books.

1. What is the Variant of Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff Formula?

The Variant of Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff Formula is a mathematical formula used in the field of Lie algebras to calculate the logarithm of a Lie group element. It is an extension of the original Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula, which is used to calculate the product of two Lie group elements.

2. Why is the Variant of Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff Formula important?

The Variant of Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff Formula is important because it allows for the efficient calculation of the logarithm of a Lie group element, which is a crucial step in many mathematical and scientific applications. It also has applications in physics, particularly in the study of quantum mechanics and gauge theories.

3. How is the Variant of Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff Formula calculated?

The Variant of Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff Formula is calculated using a series expansion method, where the logarithm of a Lie group element is expressed as a sum of terms involving the commutators of the Lie algebra generators. The formula can be recursively applied to calculate higher order terms, resulting in a more accurate approximation.

4. What are some real-world applications of the Variant of Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff Formula?

The Variant of Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff Formula has applications in a variety of fields, including physics, mathematics, and engineering. It is used in the study of quantum mechanics, gauge theories, and control theory, as well as in the design of efficient algorithms for computing Lie group logarithms.

5. Are there any variations or extensions of the Variant of Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff Formula?

Yes, there are several variations and extensions of the Variant of Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff Formula, each with its own advantages and limitations. Some examples include the Magnus expansion, the Zassenhaus formula, and the BCH formula for matrix Lie groups. These variations are often used in different contexts and can provide more accurate or efficient results depending on the situation.