Additional Velocity Required for a Satellite Already in Orbit to Escape

In summary, to find the additional velocity needed for a satellite to escape Earth's gravity while orbiting at a radius of 2.5 times Earth's radius, one must use the conservation of energy equation, setting the final energy to 0 and solving for the initial kinetic energy. This can be done by finding the specific mechanical energy of the orbit and using the relationship between velocity, radius, and acceleration. The resulting velocity will be the additional velocity needed to escape Earth's gravity.
SeventeenForever

Homework Statement

A satellite is orbiting the Earth around an orbit of radius R=2.5R0, where R0 is Earth's radius. What additional velocity is needs to be directed along the radius of the orbit so that satellite escapes Earth's gravity?

Homework Equations

Total Energy= K + U
Conservation of Energy: K1 + U1 = K2 + U2
K=0.5mv2
U=-Gm1m2 / R1, 2

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi guys! We worked some similar problems in school and I've been trying to follow that solving this problem. We've always used conservation of mechanical energy to do this.

Our condition for when the satellite has just barely escaped Earth's gravitational field is:

T2 = K2 + U2 = 0

U2 is effectively zero because R1, 2 (the distance between objects 1 and 2) is so great. K2 is zero because if the object has just barely escaped gravity, it wouldn't have any velocity. That all makes good sense to me!

The initial energy is a little more confusing to me. There is definitely some gravitational potential energy:

U=-Gm1m2 / R1, 2

I'll let mass, m, be the mass of the satellite and Mearth be the mass of the Earth. R1, 2 in this case would be 2.5R0.

U1=-GmMearth/2.5R0

We've solved problems launching stuff on Earth into space, where the object initially has no kinetic energy. K1 - U1 would equal zero, so K1 = U1:

0.5mv2 = GmMearth/2.5R0

The mass of the satellite would cancel from each side, and I can plug in the known constants and get an answer (2.2 x 105 m/s is what I got).

But... I'm not sure if there's really no initial kinetic energy. The satellite is in space and is orbiting at some velocity, so wouldn't it have kinetic energy? If so, how would I go about finding it? Also, this seems "too simple." Is there something I'm overlooking?

Physics news on Phys.org
SeventeenForever said:
The satellite is in space and is orbiting at some velocity, so wouldn't it have kinetic energy?
Indeed it will. You need to find this velocity by using mechanics. Hint: What is the force on the satellite and what force is required to keep it in a circular orbit?

SeventeenForever said:
But... I'm not sure if there's really no initial kinetic energy. The satellite is in space and is orbiting at some velocity, so wouldn't it have kinetic energy? If so, how would I go about finding it? Also, this seems "too simple." Is there something I'm overlooking?

Look up: "specific mechanical energy" (or, "specific orbital energy"). When the mass of the object in orbit is negligible with respect to that of the primary, it is often simpler to work with "specific" energies which is energy per unit mass (such as J/kg).

You should be able to find or derive an equation for the orbital velocity of a satellite in a circular orbit of a given radius (see the hint by Orodruin above). With that velocity and the given distance you should be in a position to calculate the specific mechanical energy of the orbit.

Remember to keep in mind that velocity is a vector quantity and that velocities combine accordingly.:wink:

I believe there's only one force on the satellite: gravity.

The gravity would provide a radial acceleration (towards Earth) that keeps the orbit circular since the velocity is tangential. The radial acceleration and velocity are related by:

arad=v2/R

The gravitational force is:

F1, 2= Gm1Mearth / R1, 22

The acceleration is F1, 2 divided by the mass of the satellite, m1, making the acceleration:

GMearth / R1, 22 = v2 / R1, 2

GMearth / R1, 2 = v2

I then take the square root of both sides to find the velocity. Is this the correct approach?

SeventeenForever said:
I then take the square root of both sides to find the velocity. Is this the correct approach?
Yup.

1. What is the "additional velocity" required for a satellite to escape orbit?

The additional velocity required for a satellite already in orbit to escape is called the escape velocity. It is the speed at which an object must travel to break free from the gravitational pull of another larger object, such as a planet or moon.

2. How is the escape velocity calculated?

The escape velocity is calculated using the mass and radius of the larger object and the distance between the object and the satellite. The formula is: escape velocity = √(2 * G * M / r), where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the larger object, and r is the distance between the object and the satellite.

3. Can the escape velocity be different for different satellites?

Yes, the escape velocity can vary based on the mass and distance of the satellite from the larger object. Objects with greater mass or closer distance to the larger object will require a higher escape velocity.

4. What happens if a satellite does not have enough additional velocity to escape orbit?

If a satellite does not have enough additional velocity to escape orbit, it will continue to orbit the larger object. This is known as a stable orbit, where the gravitational pull of the larger object is balanced by the centripetal force of the satellite's orbit.

5. Can a satellite in orbit ever escape without any additional velocity?

No, a satellite in orbit cannot escape without any additional velocity. This is because the gravitational pull of the larger object will always act as a force on the satellite, causing it to continue orbiting. Additional velocity is required to overcome this force and escape the orbit.