Addressing Odd Behaviour in Histogram Bin Counting for Experimental Data

In summary, When creating a histogram in OpenOffice Calc (Excel equivalent), the frequency function may display odd behavior when counting for a certain number, such as placing it in the wrong bin. This can be solved by setting the bins to start at 1 instead of 0 and understanding that the frequency function searches from a bin down to the last one.
Hypercubes
I am making a histogram for some experimental data in OpenOffice Calc (Excel equivalent). However, when I have it count frequency for a certain number, it displays odd behaviour.

For example:

Data:

Bins:

The problem is that it counts the 1 in the data in the 50000 bin instead of the 0 bin, which seems pretty ridiculous. If I set the 0 bin to 5, for example, it is grouped under that. My question is, is this statistically correct behaviour? If not, how should I fix this? Start the bin at 1, perhaps?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind, I found what the problem was.

Apparently the frequency function searches for frequency from a bin down to the last one. For example:

Bins

The corresponding ranges are:
0-0
0-5000
5001-10000

What is a histogram bin?

A histogram bin is a range of values that is used to group data in a histogram. It is represented by a bar on the x-axis of the histogram.

How do you determine the number of bins for a histogram?

There is no specific rule for determining the number of bins for a histogram. It depends on the number of data points and the underlying distribution of the data. A common rule of thumb is to have between 5-15 bins, but it is important to experiment with different bin sizes to see which one best represents the data.

What is the purpose of a histogram bin?

The purpose of a histogram bin is to group data into meaningful categories to better understand the distribution of the data. It allows for visual representation of the data and helps to identify any patterns or trends.

Can the number of bins in a histogram affect the interpretation of the data?

Yes, the number of bins in a histogram can affect the interpretation of the data. Too few bins may oversimplify the data and hide important patterns, while too many bins can make the histogram difficult to interpret. It is important to choose an appropriate number of bins to accurately represent the data.

Are there any limitations to using histogram bins?

Yes, there are some limitations to using histogram bins. Histograms can only represent numerical data, and the shape of the histogram can be affected by the choice of bin size. Additionally, histograms may not be suitable for all types of data, such as data with outliers or non-normal distributions.