Adiabatic and Quasistatic Compression

In summary, the derivation for adiabatic compression: V^\gamma P = \mbox{constant} is based on the assumption that the compression is slow enough to be quasistatic. However, the exact speed for quasistatic compression and adiabatic compression has no fixed limits, but it is usually assumed that a "happy window" exists. The formula for adiabatic compression is commonly used to derive the speed of sound in a gas, but this may not be applicable in all systems. Additionally, the longitudinal friction in a system can also impact the speed of sound.
Identity
In "Introduction to Thermal Physics" - Schroeder, the derivation for adiabatic compression: [tex]V^\gamma P = \mbox{constant}[/tex] is derived by assuming the compression is still slow enough to be quasistatic.

However, I'm still a bit confused with how slow is 'slow'.

Quasistatic compression needs to be slow enough for the gas to respond:
[tex]0< v_{QC} < v_{speed\ of\ sound\ in\ gas}[/tex]

Adiabatic compression requires it to be fast enough for no heat to escape... what are the upper and lower limits for adiabatic compression?

And what happens to the formula for adiabatic compression when we compress faster than quasistatic compression?

Thx

Physics news on Phys.org
Quastistatic compression should actually be much slower than the speed of sound, slow enough to avoid turbulence. The idea is that the gas is kept in an equilibrium state at all times, so we have a well-defined thermodynamic path from beginning to end.

The necessary speed for adiabatic compression depends upon the heat transfer properties of the enclosure, and is somewhat arbitrary; perhaps you want a <1% or <5% temperature disturbance due to heat transfer during the process.

There's no guarantee that the minimum adiabatic speed is less than the maximum quasistatic speed, but it's normally assumed in introductory thermo classes that such a "happy window" exists.

Thanks mapes :)

...then you have to explain to me why the adiabatic compression formula is usually used to derive the speed of sound in a gas.
I think the more important restriction (for volumes smaller than the wavelength of sound of a given frequency) is that of the longitudinal friction being negligible. I think all this is well discussed in Landau / Lifshetz Hydrodynamics.

DrDu said:
...then you have to explain to me why the adiabatic compression formula is usually used to derive the speed of sound in a gas.
I think the more important restriction (for volumes smaller than the wavelength of sound of a given frequency) is that of the longitudinal friction being negligible. I think all this is well discussed in Landau / Lifshetz Hydrodynamics.

Good point; I was only thinking about one type of system, in which the volume might change via a "bulk" process like a moving piston. In this case, the piston would need to move at much less than the speed of sound to maintain gas equilibrium. But I can see how a compression wave is an entirely different process.

1. What is adiabatic compression?

Adiabatic compression is a process in which a gas or fluid is compressed without any heat exchange with its surroundings. This means that the temperature of the gas or fluid will increase during the compression process due to the increase in pressure.

2. What is quasistatic compression?

Quasistatic compression is a process in which a gas or fluid is compressed slowly and gradually, with enough time for the system to reach equilibrium at each step. This allows for the pressure and volume of the gas or fluid to change without any significant changes in temperature.

3. What is the difference between adiabatic and quasistatic compression?

The main difference between adiabatic and quasistatic compression is the presence of heat exchange. Adiabatic compression does not allow for any heat exchange, while quasistatic compression allows for small, gradual changes in temperature to maintain equilibrium.

4. What are the applications of adiabatic and quasistatic compression?

Adiabatic and quasistatic compression have various applications in fields such as engineering, chemistry, and meteorology. Some common applications include air compression in air conditioners, gas compression in engines, and atmospheric compression in weather systems.

5. What are the limitations of adiabatic and quasistatic compression?

One limitation of adiabatic and quasistatic compression is that they are idealized processes that do not account for any external factors, such as friction or heat loss, which can affect the actual compression process. Additionally, these processes may not be feasible or practical in certain situations due to time and energy constraints.