Why Does Adiabatic Compression Yield a Negative Work Calculation?

In summary: This is the opposite of the ## dU = \delta Q + p dV ## that is usually written in engineering. (I am an engineer, but I come from a physics family.)In summary, for an adiabatic process starting at V = 0.024 m^3 and 101325 Pa and ending at 0.0082 m^3 and 607950 Pa, the work done by the gas is negative. The work can be calculated using the equation pV * (Vf(1 - gamma) - Vi(1 - gamma))/(1-gamma). When plugging in the numbers, the result is -3823.6 J. This is due to the standard thermodynamics convention of
ewang
Homework Statement
Find the work done by the gas (or on the gas) for an adiabatic process starting at V = 0.024 m^3 and 101325 Pa and ending at 0.0082 m^3 and 607950 Pa. The working gas is helium
Relevant Equations
Work for adiabatic = area under pV diagram
p1V1^gamma = p2V2^gamma
This is a relatively simple problem, but I'm not getting the right answer. For adiabatic compression, work on gas is positive, since work on gas = ΔEth and the adiabatic process moves from a lower isotherm to a higher one. Integrating for work gives:
pV * (Vf(1 - gamma) - Vi(1 - gamma))/(1-gamma)
I believe this is correct, but when I plug in the numbers, I'm getting a negative number:
101325 Pa * 0.024 m3 * ((0.0082 m3)1 - 1.67 - (0.024 m3)1 - 1.67)/(1 - 1.67)
= -3823.6 J

Physics news on Phys.org
ewang said:
Homework Statement:: Find the work done by the gas (or on the gas) for an adiabatic process starting at V = 0.024 m^3 and 101325 Pa and ending at 0.0082 m^3 and 607950 Pa. The working gas is helium
Relevant Equations:: Work for adiabatic = area under pV diagram
p1V1^gamma = p2V2^gamma

This is a relatively simple problem, but I'm not getting the right answer. For adiabatic compression, work on gas is positive, since work on gas = ΔEth and the adiabatic process moves from a lower isotherm to a higher one. Integrating for work gives:
pV * (Vf(1 - gamma) - Vi(1 - gamma))/(1-gamma)
I believe this is correct, but when I plug in the numbers, I'm getting a negative number:
101325 Pa * 0.024 m3 * ((0.0082 m3)1 - 1.67 - (0.024 m3)1 - 1.67)/(1 - 1.67)
= -3823.6 J

Nevermind, work is negative integral oops. I was staring at this for the longest time.

The standard thermodynamics convention of signs is the Clausius convention
ΔU = Q - W
the variation of internal energy = Heat added to the system - Work done

Thus when the gas expands we have positive work

Likes Lnewqban
ewang said:
Homework Statement:: Find the work done by the gas (or on the gas) for an adiabatic process starting at V = 0.024 m^3 and 101325 Pa and ending at 0.0082 m^3 and 607950 Pa. The working gas is helium
Relevant Equations:: Work for adiabatic = area under pV diagram
p1V1^gamma = p2V2^gamma

For adiabatic compression, work on gas is positive
Right. work done BY gas is negative. The 1st law is usually written ## dU = \delta Q - p dV ## in physics.

1. What is adiabatic compression?

Adiabatic compression is a process in thermodynamics where the volume of a gas is reduced without any heat being added or removed from the system. This results in an increase in temperature and pressure of the gas.

2. What is the difference between adiabatic and isothermal compression?

The main difference between adiabatic and isothermal compression is that adiabatic compression does not involve any heat exchange, while isothermal compression maintains a constant temperature by allowing heat to enter or leave the system.

3. What are some real-world applications of adiabatic compression?

Adiabatic compression is commonly used in the compression stages of gas turbines, where it helps to increase the temperature and pressure of the air before it enters the combustion chamber. It is also used in refrigeration systems, where the compression of a gas results in an increase in temperature, which can then be used to cool a refrigerant.

4. How does adiabatic compression affect the internal energy of a gas?

During adiabatic compression, the internal energy of a gas increases due to the work being done on the gas by the external force compressing it. This increase in internal energy is reflected in the increase in temperature and pressure of the gas.

5. What is the adiabatic index and how is it related to adiabatic compression?

The adiabatic index, also known as the heat capacity ratio, is a measure of the ratio of specific heats of a gas at constant pressure and constant volume. It is related to adiabatic compression because it determines the amount of temperature increase that occurs during the compression process. The higher the adiabatic index, the greater the increase in temperature for a given amount of compression.