Adiabatic expansion of real vs ideal gas

In summary, the temperature drop is smaller for a real gas compared to an ideal gas during adiabatic expansion due to the real gas having higher degrees of freedom and therefore a higher heat capacity. This means that as the gas particles move further apart, the potential energy of the interactions between them is decreased, resulting in a slightly higher temperature. The distinction between real and ideal gases also applies to the level of interaction between particles, with ideal gases having completely non-interacting particles, while real gases have small, long-range interactions. However, the term "ideal gas" may also refer to a gas that simply obeys the ideal gas law, PV=nRT, and in this case, the specific heat capacity would depend on quantum considerations and would only
quietrain
for the adiabatic expansion of a gas,

why is the temperature drop smaller for a real gas , vs a bigger drop for an ideal gas

even though the change in internal energy is greater for a real gas , vs a smaller change for an ideal gas

assuming starting temperature, and volume change are the same

is it just due to the offset from the heat capacity?

Physics news on Phys.org
quietrain said:
for the adiabatic expansion of a gas,

why is the temperature drop smaller for a real gas , vs a bigger drop for an ideal gas

even though the change in internal energy is greater for a real gas , vs a smaller change for an ideal gas

assuming starting temperature, and volume change are the same

is it just due to the offset from the heat capacity?
Diatomic and polyatomic gases have higher degrees of freedom so their heat capacities (Cv) are higher than an ideal (monatomic) gas.

AM

thanksx!

I've always thought that an ideal gas is one which perfectly obeys Boyle's law (or, in microscopic terms, one in which the volume of molecules is negligible, and for which there are no forces between molecules except during collisions).

This does not require the gas to be monatomic. I've checked in Jeans, Zemansky, Reif and none of these writers says anything about ideal gases having to be monatomic.

I think the answer to the OPs question is that an ideal gas has completely non-interacting particles, while a real gas has small, long-range interactions between the particles. So as the gas particles move further apart, the potential energy of the interactions between the particles is decreased, which gives the particles a little more kinetic energy, and therefore a slightly higher temperature.

Surely their moving apart would increase the potential energy. Internal work has been done against the attractive forces, at the expense of mean kinetic energy – which falls, making the overall fall (including that due to the external work) greater. If there is no external work (expansion into a vacuum) there will still be a fall in mean kinetic energy.

Philip Wood said:
Surely their moving apart would increase the potential energy. Internal work has been done against the attractive forces, at the expense of mean kinetic energy – which falls, making the overall fall (including that due to the external work) greater. If there is no external work (expansion into a vacuum) there will still be a fall in mean kinetic energy.
This is correct.

This was understood by the quietrain in the original question. His question was why adiabatic expansion did not cause the real gas to have a lower temperature despite having lower internal energy.

I think adiabatic expansion would have to result in a lower temperature for the real gas if the ideal gas and the real gas were both monatomic gases, for example. So he was talking about real gases that had a higher temperature despite having lost more internal energy ie. non-monatomic gases.

AM

Last edited:
Andrew Mason said:
I think adiabatic expansion would have to result in a lower temperature for the real gas if the ideal gas and the real gas were both monatomic gases, for example. AM

Agreed.
Andrew Mason said:
So he was talking about real gases that had a higher temperature despite having lost more internal energy ie. non-monatomic gases.AM

Yes, agreed, if the distinction the OP wanted to make was between polyatomic and monatomic gases. But as I said in hash 4, this is not, imo, the same thing at all as the distinction between real and ideal gases. One can, I believe, speak without self-contradiction of an ideal polyatomic gas.

So it's not really Physics I'm arguing about but terminology.

Philip Wood said:
Yes, agreed, if the distinction the OP wanted to make was between polyatomic and monatomic gases. But as I said in hash 4, this is not, imo, the same thing at all as the distinction between real and ideal gases. One can, I believe, speak without self-contradiction of an ideal polyatomic gas.

So it's not really Physics I'm arguing about but terminology.
Although the term "ideal gas" may just refer to a gas that obeys the ideal gas law PV=nRT, in kinetic theory a true ideal gas consists of point particles with no interactions between particles and no volume occupied by the particles themselves.

The problem with calling a diatomic or polyatomic gas with non-interacting molecules an "ideal gas" is in determining the specific heat capacity, Cv. The specific heat capacity will depend on vibrational and rotational energies which involves quantum considerations. So when you are talking about the specific heat capacity of an ideal gas you have to be dealing with a monatomic ideal gas.

AM

So you wouldn't have collisions between gas molecules in your ideal gas?

You wouldn't for point particles, would you?

But writers on kinetic theory (e.g. Jeans) do take into account collisions when deriving the ideal gas kinetic theory formula for pressure: PV = (1/3)Nm crms2.

In other words, occupying a negligible fraction of the container volume isn't taken to mean that the molecules have to be points, and by the same token, they are not denied enough structure for cv to differ from (3/2)R.

Last edited:
Philip Wood said:
So you wouldn't have collisions between gas molecules in your ideal gas?

You wouldn't for point particles, would you?

But writers on kinetic theory (e.g. Jeans) do take into account collisions when deriving the ideal gas kinetic theory formula for pressure: PV = (1/3)Nm crms2.

In other words, occupying a negligible fraction of the container volume isn't taken to mean that the molecules have to be points, and by the same token, they are not denied enough structure for cv to differ from (3/2)R.
Even in theory it is difficult to model a single diatomic ideal gas. What value do you give for its Cv? 5/2? 7/2? At what temperature? A diatomic gas could follow PV=nRT with a Cv of 5/2 or 7/2 or a Cv that changed from 5/2 to 7/2 over a temperature range of 500K-1000K. Which one is the ideal diatomic gas?

I don't know how would you compare the change in temperature of this model diatomic ideal gas to a real gas for equivalent adiabatic expansion.

So it just seems implicit that the OP is asking why a real (diatomic or polyatomic) gas can have a smaller temperature decrease but have a greater internal energy decrease when compared to a (monatomic) ideal gas undergoing the same adiabatic expansion.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
Even in theory it is difficult to model a single diatomic ideal gas. What value do you give for its Cv? 5/2? 7/2? At what temperature? A diatomic gas could follow PV=nRT with a Cv of 5/2 or 7/2 or a Cv that changed from 5/2 to 7/2 over a temperature range of 500K-1000K. AM
Agreed. Vibrational modes have big gaps between levels and only come into play at higher temperatures.

Andrew Mason said:
Which one is the ideal diatomic gas?AM
They are all ideal, as long as intermolecular attractive forces are ignored, and molecular volume is negligible compared with container volume (which can be approached by sparseness of molecules rather than by shrinking molecules to points). The ideal requirement is perfectly consistent with quite sophisticated quantum mechanical treatments of individual molecules and doesn't prevent different values of cv at different temperatures.

Andrew Mason said:
I don't know how would you compare the change in temperature of this model diatomic ideal gas to a real gas for equivalent adiabatic expansion. AM
Around room temperature for low rmm diatomic gases, for which cv = (5/2)R, the comparison between real and ideal is, I would think, straightforward enough. The real gas would cool more, because of the attractive forces, as we agreed earlier. At temperatures where the vib modes are starting to come into play, and cv for the ideal gas depends on temperature, and so changes during the expansion, the comparison is certainly more complicated.

Andrew Mason said:
So it just seems implicit that the OP is asking why a real (diatomic or polyatomic) gas can have a smaller temperature decrease but have a greater internal energy decrease when compared to a (monatomic) ideal gas undergoing the same adiabatic expansion. AM
As I said before, my point is about terminology. I'm claiming that the distinction between real and ideal has nothing much to do with the distinction between polyatomic and monatomic. What I'm taking issue with is one or two points from your post (hash 9):
Andrew Mason said:
Although the term "ideal gas" may just refer to a gas that obeys the ideal gas law PV=nRT, in kinetic theory a true ideal gas consists of point particles with no interactions between particles and no volume occupied by the particles themselves.

The problem with calling a diatomic or polyatomic gas with non-interacting molecules an "ideal gas" is in determining the specific heat capacity, Cv. The specific heat capacity will depend on vibrational and rotational energies which involves quantum considerations. So when you are talking about the specific heat capacity of an ideal gas you have to be dealing with a monatomic ideal gas.AM

I disagree about the necessity for point molecules in an ideal gas, because then you'd have no collisions between gas molecules (zero probability of collisions) in an ideal gas, which is not what is assumed by authorities such as Jeans and by writers of any thermal physics textbooks I've ever read. I'd be interested in what you have to say about this.

I also disagree with your last sentence in the post just quoted, for reasons I've explained above.

Philip Wood said:
They are all ideal, as long as intermolecular attractive forces are ignored, and molecular volume is negligible compared with container volume (which can be approached by sparseness of molecules rather than by shrinking molecules to points).
Kinetic theory also assumes that molecules are perfect spheres and collisions are perfectly elastic.
I disagree about the necessity for point molecules in an ideal gas, because then you'd have no collisions between gas molecules (zero probability of collisions) in an ideal gas, which is not what is assumed by authorities such as Jeans and by writers of any thermal physics textbooks I've ever read. I'd be interested in what you have to say about this.
I agree that the molecules in an ideal gas can have a finite volume so long as the molecular diameter is negligible compared to the average distance between molecules. But it is assumed that all collisions are elastic in terms of translational kinetic energy. This is essential to the derivation of :

[itex]\frac {1} {2} mv_{rms}^2 = \frac {3} {2} k_B T[/itex]

One can model an ideal monatomic gas using these criteria. An ideal monatomic gas will necessarily have 3 degrees of freedom. One cannot model a diatomic or polyatomic gas using these criteria because collisions are not elastic in terms of translational kinetic energy.
I also disagree with your last sentence in the post just quoted, for reasons I've explained above.
I kind of disagree with it myself! I said:
Andrew Mason said:
So when you are talking about the specific heat capacity of an ideal gas you have to be dealing with a monatomic ideal gas
You can certainly have a diatomic or polyatomic gas that obeys the ideal gas law: PV=nRT. But you must also specify what its heat capacity is for the temperatures in question. You cannot determine what its heat capacity is from the fact that it is an "ideal gas". So what I should have said is: "So you cannot assume anything about the specific heat capacity of an ideal gas at any temperature unless you are dealing with a monatomic ideal gas".

With that I think we may agree on everything!

AM

Well, we're not too far off! I've enjoyed the discussion; thank you for taking the trouble to respond so fully.

1. How does adiabatic expansion differ between real and ideal gases?

Adiabatic expansion is the process of a gas expanding without any heat being added or removed. In an ideal gas, this process is reversible and the temperature remains constant. However, in a real gas, intermolecular forces between gas particles can cause energy to be lost, resulting in a decrease in temperature during adiabatic expansion.

2. What factors affect the adiabatic expansion of real and ideal gases?

The adiabatic expansion of a gas is affected by several factors, including the initial temperature and pressure of the gas, the composition of the gas, and the presence of any external forces or intermolecular interactions.

3. How does the adiabatic expansion of real and ideal gases relate to the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. In the case of adiabatic expansion, the decrease in temperature of a real gas is a result of the conversion of internal energy to work, as the gas expands against external pressure. In an ideal gas, the temperature remains constant and no energy conversion occurs.

4. Can real gases exhibit adiabatic expansion in a closed system?

Yes, real gases can exhibit adiabatic expansion in a closed system. This is because the gas is expanding against the external pressure and doing work, which causes a decrease in temperature due to intermolecular forces. However, the change in temperature may not be as significant as in an open system where the gas can freely exchange energy with its surroundings.

5. How is the adiabatic index used to compare real and ideal gases during expansion?

The adiabatic index, also known as the heat capacity ratio, is a measure of how much a gas's temperature changes during adiabatic expansion. In an ideal gas, the adiabatic index is constant and equal to the ratio of specific heats, while in a real gas, it can vary depending on the gas's composition and intermolecular forces. Comparing the adiabatic indices of real and ideal gases can help determine the degree of deviation from ideal behavior during adiabatic expansion.