Adiabatic gas cooling/heating: Explaining Conceptually

In summary: First Gas Law and the Ideal Gas Law. In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between pressure, volume, and temperature in adiabatic processes, and how these laws explain the change in temperature when gas escapes rapidly from a pressurized cylinder. The main point is that the temperature of the gas remains constant due to the conservation of energy in an adiabatic process.
Jake Drinkwater
Hi, this is my first post on here. My question relates to adiabatic cooling/heating of a gas. I am trying to grasp the idea conceptually rather than being able to explain it mathematically per se...

When gas escapes rapidly from a pressurised cylinder the rapid expansion of the gas is facilitated by the heat energy within the gas, causing its temperature to fall (as there has been no time for the transfer of heat energy from the surrounding environment).

However, the First Gas Law states; P1/V1 = P2/V2 @ constant temperature.

There has been in increase in the volume of the gas but there has also been a reduction in the pressure of the gas. Would not the potential energy of the high pressure of the gas (when in the cylinder) be enough to account for the increased volume of the gas at greater volume (once escaped from the cylinder)?

Or, if you were to look at it in terms of the ideal gas equation; PV = nRT, I would expect that as the volume increased, the pressure would decrease in accordance with this and the temperature would remain constant.

I don't understand why the 'system' needs the addition of energy (taken from the heat energy of the gas in the case of an adiabatic process).

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think I understand your question, perhaps you can rephrase more clearly exactly what you're asking? An ideal gas which undergoes adiabatic free-expansion remains at constant temperature, this is because the temperature is only dependent on the energy of the system, and since in a free-expansion there is no work being done and adiabatic means no heat is exchanged, the Energy of the gas, and therefore the temperature of the gas, will remain constant (for an ideal gas).

Also, the Ideal gas law states P1V1=P2V2 @ constant temperature (and particle number), I don't know what you mean with "first gas law", but it is not the ratio P/V which remains constant at constant temperature (and particle number), but the product PV.

The gas that remains in the cylinder does work on the gas that it forces out of the cylinder so that, under adiabatic conditions, its internal energy decreases. This means that its temperature decreases.

Chet

What is adiabatic gas cooling/heating?

Adiabatic gas cooling/heating is a process in which the temperature of a gas changes without any heat exchange with the surroundings. In other words, the gas is insulated and does not exchange energy with its surroundings.

How does adiabatic gas cooling/heating work?

Adiabatic gas cooling/heating works based on the principle of thermodynamics, specifically the first law, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred. In adiabatic processes, no heat is transferred, so the change in temperature is a result of the gas doing work on its surroundings or vice versa.

What are some real-life examples of adiabatic gas cooling/heating?

One example of adiabatic gas cooling/heating is the compression and expansion of air in a bicycle pump. When the air is compressed, it gets hotter, and when it expands, it gets colder. Another example is the compression and expansion of air in a car's engine during the combustion process.

What factors affect adiabatic gas cooling/heating?

The main factors that affect adiabatic gas cooling/heating are the initial temperature and pressure of the gas, the volume of the gas, and the work done on or by the gas. The type of gas and the properties of the surroundings can also play a role.

What is the difference between adiabatic gas cooling and adiabatic gas heating?

The main difference between adiabatic gas cooling and adiabatic gas heating is the direction of temperature change. In adiabatic gas cooling, the gas's temperature decreases due to expansion, while in adiabatic gas heating, the temperature increases due to compression. However, both processes occur without any heat transfer.