Adiabatic process of monatomic gas problem

In summary, we are given two scenarios where 4.0 kJ of work is done on each mole of gas in an adiabatic process. The first scenario is for an ideal monatomic gas, while the second scenario is for an ideal diatomic gas without molecular vibration. We are asked to find the change in temperature in both cases, and we are given the equations U=3/2 NkT and U=CvT, where U is the internal energy of the gas, N is the number of moles, k is the Boltzmann constant, and T is the temperature. We can use these equations by substituting the given values to find the change in temperature for each scenario.
athula kumara

Homework Statement

By how much does the temperature of an ideal monatomic gas change in an adiabatic process in which 4.0kJ of work are done on each mole of gas?

By how much does the temperature of an ideal diatomic gas (with molecular rotation but no vibration) change in an adiabatic process in which 4.0kJof work are done on each mole of gas?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
hi my problem is this information enough to do it. I don't know volume or pressure

athula kumara said:
hi my problem is this information enough to do it. I don't know volume or pressure

How is the internal energy of an ideal monoatomic gas related to the temperature?
How much does the internal energy of one mole ideal gas change in an adiabatic process if 4kJ work is done on the gas?

U=3/2 NkT, ok I got it.
I'm going to substitute values in this equation
thanks

In an adiabatic process, there is no exchange of heat between the system and its surroundings. This means that the change in temperature, denoted as ∆T, is related to the work done, W, by the following equation:

∆T = - W / nCv

Where n is the number of moles of gas and Cv is the specific heat at constant volume. For a monatomic gas, Cv is equal to 3/2R, where R is the gas constant. Therefore, for the monatomic gas, the change in temperature can be calculated as:

∆T = - (4.0kJ/mol) / (1 mol) * (3/2R) = -6.0K

For a diatomic gas, the specific heat at constant volume, Cv, is equal to 5/2R. Therefore, the change in temperature for a diatomic gas can be calculated as:

∆T = - (4.0kJ/mol) / (1 mol) * (5/2R) = -8.0K

It is important to note that in an adiabatic process, the change in temperature is dependent on the specific heat at constant volume, which varies for different types of gases. Therefore, the change in temperature for a diatomic gas will be greater than that of a monatomic gas, as seen in the calculations above.

1. What is an adiabatic process?

An adiabatic process is a thermodynamic process in which there is no transfer of heat or matter between a system and its surroundings. This means that the energy of the system remains constant.

2. What is a monatomic gas?

A monatomic gas is a type of gas that consists of single atoms that are not bonded to each other. Examples of monatomic gases include helium, neon, and argon.

3. How does an adiabatic process affect a monatomic gas?

In an adiabatic process, the temperature of a monatomic gas changes due to the compression or expansion of the gas. If the gas is compressed, its temperature increases, and if it expands, its temperature decreases.

4. What is the equation for calculating the change in temperature in an adiabatic process?

The equation for calculating the change in temperature in an adiabatic process is T2/T1 = (P2/P1)^((γ-1)/γ), where T is temperature, P is pressure, and γ is the ratio of specific heats of the gas.

5. How is the adiabatic process of a monatomic gas different from that of a diatomic gas?

A monatomic gas only has one degree of freedom, while a diatomic gas has two degrees of freedom. This means that a monatomic gas experiences a greater change in temperature in an adiabatic process compared to a diatomic gas. Additionally, the specific heat ratio (γ) for a monatomic gas is 5/3, while for a diatomic gas it is 7/5.